PAT testing and Public liability

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited September 2014
    spark240 said:

I think you might find its more regular than every 12 months depending on the type of product and frequency of use....   
     What you say is correct but the test bit is not really a legal thing but insurance thing. In real life of course you check what your using is safe when ever you come to use it ....... don't you?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited September 2014
    ICBM said:
    jpfamps said:
    This amused me on a piece of kit I had into repair:

This amused me somewhat less. Found this on a piece of gear I was working on recently…

In cases like this PAT stickers aren't worth the label they're written on and are treated as a licence to print money by the people who do them.
    Just to add to this bit of the discussion I recently sent a mixer and CD player out in a rack  to a job where everything was tested by "a competent person" before the event and he stuck just  one sticker on the flightcase and none on the kit. Now that means I can stick anything in the that rack and its covered!!!! (NOT)  
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • mike257 said:
    Just a heads up regarding PLI and the Musicians Union. The cover is personal so is worthless to your band unless you all join. If you aren't already members or planning to be then it's cheaper to get a policy that covers the band as an entity.
    Ok I'll seek somewhere else unless anyone here has any pointers ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • We offered to play a charity gig. As in, for nothing, at our own expense. All set up and then because not everything was PAT tested we couldn't play as it was local authority premises.
    They don't seem to think it has to work both ways :) Musical prostitutes we are being made to become :(
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    One of the Band get certified as a PAT tester, I don't believe it is that hard ....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • AFAIK the "yearly" thing, although quite reasonable, is not a mandatory requirement. If you use a piece of kit once every 3 months, then 2-yearly would be reasonable. If you use it several times a week and threw it in the back of the transit for transport, then 4 times a year would be reasonable.

Joining the MU is not just about the PLI they throw in with the membership. It's about running the band as a profitable and legal business. Ensuring you get paid as per properly-written gig contracts. Filling in your tax returns properly. having a Partnership Agreement which protects you and your kit should the band become liable for some nasty big bill. Etc Etc.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited September 2014

Been told by the venue "equipment must be PAT tested" many many times.

Times venue check equipment: nil

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Been told by the venue "equipment must be PAT tested" many many times.

Times venue check equipment: nil

I'm sure that most of the time you're OK if you confidently tell them what they want to hear. Sods law says that when they ask to see evidence, or if something goes wrong, there'll be someone to whinge about lack of PAT.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Ok who can recommend a reputable PLI company for cover of around £2m for the whole band of 6 members? I have  PAT tester organised

Also I'll need gear insurance of about £8,000 – £10,000 worth 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Get out your 13A socket tester and tell the venue you are going to test the sockets are safe.

;-)

In reality council run premises are very unionised but are also sticklers for the rules. As a matter of your own personal safety you should take adequate steps and if that means getting tested, then do so.

• Ok who can recommend a reputable PLI company for cover of around £2m for the whole band of 6 members? I have  PAT tester organised

Join the MU.
  • No real benefit as my kit is worth more than 2k and I want the whole band to be protected with PLI
    fretmeister;347550" said:
    hotpickups said:

Ok who can recommend a reputable PLI company for cover of around £2m for the whole band of 6 members? I have  PAT tester organised

Join the MU.