Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Planet Waves patch leads - shite?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited September 2014 in FX
I received a significant investment (about 80 quid!) in Planet Waves solderless FX patch leads today and in the main the process is very good and I managed to redo my pedalboard in 3/4 of an hour - thats 14 jacks, they all worked first time with no soldering, burnt fingers, swearing etc, however several don't stay in the pedal socket, I push 'em in and after a few minutes they pop out, they are still connected,but don't seem to latch, if the cable is U shaped between 2 pedals all is well but some of mine are not U shaped and cannot be, I've opened some pedals and bent the jack socket tab a little to get a more positive latch (they were OK with "normal" jacks). Trouble is I have a couple of mini pedals by TC Electronic, I don't have the correct size tork driver to undo the back, but I suspect the sockets are the plastic, no adjust type, so now I have to come up with something to maintain a positive pressure on the jacks to keep 'em in….Bugger!

Attached are a few photos..
1st In a Kit built Buffer note how the jack doesn't latch...

2nd with bent jack tab to make a proper latch…..

3rd with digital calliper length from face to edge of insulator on Planet Wave Jack 

4th length for face to edge of insulator on"standard" jack…0.5mm difference…..

Anyone else had issues…….
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• always have issues with planet waves cables not staying in jack sockets

I always avoid them for this reason. I think they are made thicker or longer than usual for better contact which funnily enough is always worse. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, I've heard reports of them damaging pedal jack sockets.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Planet Waves cables: unreliable, jack-damaging, tone-sucking shite.

In my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Bugger, wish Id known earlier……..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    edited September 2014
    ICBM said:

In my opinion.
    And their pre-made ones fail often.

All shite.

Planet Waves cables in general have failed on me at about 10 times the rate of any other make. I'll never buy them again.
    edited September 2014
    Ive emailed the parent company, not expecting much, bloody frustrating waste of money I could have spent on cake! especially considering what they charge, and I have now got to solder up new leads, Grrrrrrrr! I shall await a reply then probably vent my spleen on their Facebook page!

• longilongi Frets: 95
    A lot of peolple seem have had problems with them, I must have been one of the lucky ones I've ony ever have one fail on me. Never had a problem with them myself.
  • Bought 6 pre-made ones the other week. If you touched them while they were plugged in, it sounded like a hurricane. jacks fitted fine but binned them anyway. I have some PW american stage and they are good though.
  • I've been using Planet Waves for the past couple of years and I haven't had a problem with them either. I knew they weren't top end cables but thought they were a good step up from the lowest level patchers you get from Maplin.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Yep, I completely redid my pedalboard with Planet Waves cables a few years ago as they were on sale.  Bloody things would just pop themselves out of certain pedals with alarming regularity, ended up binning the lot.

Bought a 15ft cable as well which lasted all of three days.  You might say that my opinion of PW stuff is generally not too great. ;)
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • ICBM said:

In my opinion.

Spot on. Their guitar leads are utter shite with a high failure rate.

Dare I say the OP should have used KaBL. Always first class service.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Didn't the Planet Waves come with a lifetime warranty? I have a couple of the guitar leads and haven't had an issues - guess I've been lucky.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Anyone with broken planet waves cables can just ship them off to planet waves and get a replacement. I did it with a circuit breaker and only had to pay shipping one way.
    Branshen said:
    Anyone with broken planet waves cables can just ship them off to planet waves and get a replacement. I did it with a circuit breaker and only had to pay shipping one way.
    I'd rather not have to use a warranty, and not have to pay anything. ;)  The failure rate on all the PW stuff I've had over the years has been massively higher than any other brand, including a lot of much cheaper stuff.  Friends have had pretty much the same experience.

My main cable is still the braided Spectraflex which I bought 20 years ago - lifetime warranty, but never had to use it, and that cable has been utterly abused over the course of thousands of gigs.  At one point I even used it to tie the hatch of one of my old cars down when the latch broke on the way home from a gig. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I received a reply to my snotty email to the Planet Waves parent company D'Addario, heres the reply...

Mr. B************ ,
    Sorry to hear that something that was to help bring you some joy has you utterly agitated.

We have sold countless thousands of these and for the vast majority they have been quite unproblematic.

So putdowns and threats aside I will remain civil to you and tell you that I am sorry for what you encountered. 
    As I mentioned if you go online or look up reviews you'll see that what you ran into is not the norm.

If you want to send me the plugs I can replace them.

Please do not take the "what and incur additional cost to send them 
    over " route as I will offset the postage and then some so that this negative-will turn-into-a-positive and in the end you'll most likely be thankful this occurred to begin with I want to help so I hope you will allow me to.

So today I will mail them to the other side of the pond and see what they return.........ironically I bought solderless patch leads and have had to solder replacements so I can send them back..........

Sounds like they put as much attention into their use of the English language as they do into making reliable cables. :D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I've had a Planet Waves cable for a while and I have found that with some guitars (most notably a Telecaster) the cable would just pop out all over the place. I put it down to having an over sized jack. 

I also have a Diago solder free patch cable which died after a couple of months.

I'm planning on getting some Kabl ones.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I only have PW including my whole board having those same patch cables. Now I have less pedals I was thinking of selling them but for no other reason than just having excess. Are they really that bad?
  • I've only ever used PW cables since I stopped buying cables from Argos.

Have had one cable go a little crackly in 13 years of gigging for a living. They get the job done.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

I've stopped using PW after having 2 cables get stuck inside the jack sockets of my V-drums .