First guitar info

What's Hot
Hi everyone , new to the forum but hope i can become part of what looks like a great group of helpful people , 

Im just in the process of buting my first ever guitar and a friend has put me onto a brand new prs 245 se, The guy is asking £300 

Is this an ideal guitar and is the price right 

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited September 2014
    Morning Ziggy,

Good question.  Wisdom awarded.  And a very warm welcome to the forum.  As is customary the first drinks are on you.

£300 seems to be a couple of hundred down on the usual retail price so the first question is why is it so cheap.  It may be that a sale item or store thats shifting stock to clear space.  But ask yourself why does it appear to be such a good deal.  If its too good to be true, it usually is.

Nice as a first guitar  IF its genuine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Welcome on board. When you say brand new is it in fact second hand and 'hardly used' in a private sale? If that's the case it sounds like a reasonable price and if I were you I'd take a friend who plays guitar with you to try it out and make sure all is OK. If it's genuinely brand new in a guitar shop then that sounds spookily cheap for one of those. If you can post any pics of the guitar on here that might help. Make sure it comes with the original PRS gigbag too, they are one of the best gigbags on the market. Good luck!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10265
    Welcome onboard.You'll find a wealth of knowledge on this here forum.I'm not clued up on that particular guitar but I'd echo what fretfinder says.It does seem rather cheap if brand new,don't these retail for around £550?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Firstly, welcome to The FB. There are some very good people on here - I hope you find the advice you receive useful and stick around.

Just to echo what others have said - PRS SE guitars are are a great starting point - they make really high quality, consistently good guitars - and you have the option down the line to upgrade pick-ups, if you want to get into that kind of thing.

The only down-side, is it does sound very cheap - but that's good news if the guitar is what it is claimed to be. If you're not sure about this, could you post a few pictures, or if you are confident that your friend knows what he's doing, take his advice.

A 'wisdom' has been awarded for having the excellent judgement to sign-up.
  • Thanks for all the replies guys  :-)           Its a private sale and the guitar comes with a gig bag ,  red ,,   How do i post pictures ?
  • Private sale.  Check it over carefully and if it has all its fingers and toes its a good price.

• ziggyboyziggyboy Frets: 5
    edited September 2014
  • ziggyboyziggyboy Frets: 5
    edited September 2014
    hope the pictures work
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Mines a pint!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• no probs on the drinks guys 

• Looks like the real thing - nice colour and a very fair price....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cheers rich ,  i like the colour too ,   scarlet red its called , 
  • just need an amp and a few other things now :)

• I was that was my first guitar!

I had to suffer an Encore Les Paul copy with bolt on neck.
    I do think playing a bag of bolts did helped me to appreciate a good guitar later on though

Hope you enjoy taking up the guitar sir!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • All the best with your adventures in the wonderful world of guitars. We'll explain about GAS later ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Nice colour and a very reasonable price. Welcome to the fretboard, if you do buy it make sure you post a new thread with more pics we like pics.

Oh and can I call dibs when you decide to sell to fund your next purchase when GAS properly strikes ;) slippery slope dude and it's awesome
  • Thats very nice. Tell him Ill give him £320 for it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3614
    That's a great first guitar.

You youngsters of today don't know how lucky you are... *walks off mumbling*
  • haha thanks neil :-)