Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Seriously... Line 6 really bloody cracked it....

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
With the M5/M9/M13 pedals. Specifically the M9. Such an epic little box.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• God damn man dont post that, you will break the fretboard!

(I do agree though that they are very good bits of kit)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Agreed. The M series are the best at thing that Line 6 have ever done. Such a shame they abandoned them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I keep looking at the M5 for my delays needs- that with an exp pedal for feedback is probably way better for tape delay on the fly than my TC Alter egox4. But I've still not jumped.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    edited September 2014
    I think they cracked it with the Dream Rig (James Tyler Variax + HD500/HD500x + DT25/50 or FRFR), so many possibilities and they all integrate together so nicely. Sure it's no Axe FXII, but neither is the price.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I used to have to HD500 and DT25 setup. very nice it was too, until Line 6 decided to update it and change all the input impedance patches to 1 meg , bloody idiots, needless to say it was sold

• sweepy said:
    I used to have to HD500 and DT25 setup. very nice it was too, until Line 6 decided to update it and change all the input impedance patches to 1 meg , bloody idiots, needless to say it was sold
    Guess you could have rolled back the firmware? Forgive me for being a bit simple, but what did changing the impedance to 1 meg do to effect things? I know nothing about impedance levels :/
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Changing to 1Meg basically made everything harsh and nasal and no it couldn't be rolled back, the new Monkey might have that facility, but it didn't back then 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I love my M5, all the DL4 Delays with more presets & half the size
  • Am I the only one here that has a broke ass M5 that randomly cuts off sound by it's own or definitely if you ever dare use tap tempo?
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I've had an M5 for a little while, I find more and more uses for it.  It's also great for messing around with different tones at home.  The only thing is that changing presets is too difficult, I end up having to use my hand when I want to change as there's no way I can make my foot press both buttons together without falling over in a big heap!
  • Am I the only one here that has a broke ass M5 that randomly cuts off sound by it's own or definitely if you ever dare use tap tempo?
    contact Line 6, their customer support is brilliant 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I do like my M9. I don't use it that much but to replace it I'd have to get one of the chunky high end delays plus a chorus plus a whammy at the minimum, which is a false economy :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Drew_fx said:
    I don't get why I can't get on with these things.  I've bought and sold them a few times now and each time I want so much to get on with them because they are a brilliant idea -- the idea is great and it should be exactly what I want.  Except there's something about them I don't like. 

And here I am saying to myself, "Well, you've not tried the M5 have you?  You just kept batting the M9s and M13s about... what if you tried an M5?"

But that won't work either.

I know how this ends, I'll have one by the end of the year.

I need to know why I can't get on with them.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'm continually tempted to replace some/all of my (fairly minimal) board with an M9. I think I need to borrow one and have a play to see how it'd get on with my drive pedals in front of it. Hmmm......
  • meltedbuzzbox;349806" said:
    johnonguitar said:

Am I the only one here that has a broke ass M5 that randomly cuts off sound by it's own or definitely if you ever dare use tap tempo?

contact Line 6, their customer support is brilliant 
    Apparently it's a known random fault. Line 6 just tell you to use the correct power supply as a standard answer :/ like I was using a potato
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I had an M5, which, like the Zoom G3 before, I couldn't really get on with, so it went.

I guess I'm not suited to multiFX units.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited September 2014
    Grunfeld said:
    Drew_fx said:
    I don't get why I can't get on with these things.  I've bought and sold them a few times now and each time I want so much to get on with them because they are a brilliant idea -- the idea is great and it should be exactly what I want.  Except there's something about them I don't like. 

And here I am saying to myself, "Well, you've not tried the M5 have you?  You just kept batting the M9s and M13s about... what if you tried an M5?"

But that won't work either.

I know how this ends, I'll have one by the end of the year.

I need to know why I can't get on with them.
    Me too! This is my 5th M9, and I've had 3 M13s!

The thing I have realised, and I don't know if you found the same thing, but if you ask them to do too much they become frustrating extremely quickly. Want to change scene folders during a song? Forget it. Want to change other midi devices from the program change messages, and want it quickly and responsive... absolutely forget it! Want it to utterly replace every single source of distortion in your rig... nah bruv!! It aint gonna happen! Basically if you use it as a multi effect... you're gonna struggle a little bit.

But if you want to treat it like a set of single pedals of the delay, reverb, modulation variety... then they basically cannot be beaten imho. I used an M13 for a year before I got fed up with it... few years later used an M9 for a year and a half before GAS took over, and now I'm back.

Also, talking signal to noise-ratio... it's no contest. This thing is quieter than a set of Boss pedals and a set of TC pedals!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    edited September 2014
    That's a wisdom for you @Drew_fx. A very good summary of the M series. To be honest I can't really see the point of the M5 for live use unless you only want one effect in a song or have your presets lined up in a particular order. The M5 is perfect for recording though.

The M9 is probably the best of the bunch if you want good delays, verbs, modulation in the loop. It's got great harmonisers and the compressors and wahs are OK too. What it lacks is a positionable effects loop which means you could then use your own drive pedals instead of the ones in the pedal.

That's where the M13 comes in. The feature of being able to put the effects loop wherever you want is the best thing on it IMHO. I used an M13 for about three years with effects 3 and 4 in the loop and then used effects 1 and 2 for compressors, wahs, harmonisers, volume pedals etc. before going into the front with external boosts and drives. EventuallyI got fed up all the space that setup took and went to a pedal board. I still have my M13 and actually used it on it's own at a recent gig with the tiniest stage I've ever been on. It did the job perfectly.
  • When I asked what trem pedal to get for both vintagey goodness and mental choppy weird prgrammy stuff, I was recommended the m5.

I can understand why, it's amazingly nifty. Maybe there will be a newer updated version of them.

Line 6? Please? I know everyone hates the spiders, but well, you've done incredible, innovative kit that's changed the way we play and we really like you.