The Songwriter Thread

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @rpr

nice one, Bernadette is classic, those three guys have penned some beauties.

@johnnyurq too for Difford and Tilbrook. 

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited September 2013
    Did you see the BBC4 documentary about them?

Unlike Lennon & McCartney, there was a very clear division of labour; words by Difford, tunes by Tilbrook. Amazing that two people so gifted in their respected field should have found each other.

I'm amazed they don't get more recognition.... Outstanding song-writers....
    @richardhomer

I did see that it was pretty enlightening. 

Did you see the one on Sky Arts? 

I think it was part of the songbook series and they deconstructed the songs and their complex musical/band relationship. They also did stripped back intimate versions of a few of their best songs. 

Well worth a watch.

For sure they complement each other and L & C were the nearest references I could give.  

Saw Tilbrook and his Fluffers up here in Inverness in a local Hotel, very good indeed and the female bass player was brilliant, easy in the eye too. Missed the reformed Squeeze when they played Belladrum though sadly.

Good to see they are on good terms and collaborating/playing again. Shame Jools will not release Gilson to play drums though.

They are more than a bit good aren't they?
  • johnnyurq;35276" said:
    Did you see the one on Sky Arts?
    Not got Sky.

What amazed me about the BBC4 programme was the musical sophistication of Tilbrook's demos. They were pretty much fully realised versions of the songs, without the rest of the band. He has a McCartney-like ability to play keys as well as guitar (and he's clearly a very good guitar player).

Difford - who's image in the band's videos was one of the hard-drinking tough-guy - came across as an intelligent, articulate and sensitive
    bloke.

I loved them when I was growing up but had a whole new respect for them after watching that programme.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited September 2013
    @richardhomer

I think BBC4 show the songbook (got the name wrong oops) series from time to time and almost all of them are awesome.

Here are a list of the featured artists.

http://skyarts.sky.com/songbook

Edit

Some of it seems to be on Ya Choob.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    No one mentioned Springsteen?
  • @daveyh

While I respect his following, his acheivement and his passion, Springsteen is one of those who I only ever liked a select few songs.

I don't know what it is, but he's not really my cup of tea. Massive back catalogue, but not for me. I'd probably just spend the whole gig waiting for Nils Lofgren to rip out, which ain't a bad thing.

If we are going to put him in the "Heartland Rock" Category, I'd probably prefer someone Like Jackson Browne, can't explain why either.

:)
  • Same here re Springsteen some awesome songs and deserved his longevity and plaudits, but limited appeal to me.

In my case I would be waiting for Steven Van Zandt to "whack" somebody Soprano's stylee.
  • I think I got severely facepalmed for expressing a dislike of Springsteen before so I shan't go there.
    I'm always keen on those who can do something interesting with 3 chords so if I can add Willie Dixon to the hall of fame here? Must be one of the most covered song writers ever.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    daveyh said:
    No one mentioned Springsteen?
    Patti Smith's 'Because The Night' just came on my iTunes shuffle.

Fantastic song, and when you know his style well it's obvious who wrote it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I must add 2 Swedish Blokes who have most likely been overlooked.

Benny and Bjorn.

You might not have admitted it when you were young and hip, but lots of ABBA songs are pure class.

I must add 2 Swedish Blokes who have most likely been overlooked. 

Benny and Bjorn.

You might not have admitted it when you were young and hip, but lots of ABBA songs are pure class.

I've loved them since I was 8, and I've always been happy to admit it :).

In my opinion some of the greatest pop songwriters ever - but they've quite rarely written for other artists or even been covered.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

I must add 2 Swedish Blokes who have most likely been overlooked. 

Benny and Bjorn.

I've loved them since I was 8, and I've always been happy to admit it :).

In my opinion some of the greatest pop songwriters ever - but they've quite rarely written for other artists or even been covered.

Agreed, they write great songs. The only song for another artist that springs to mind is "One Night In Bangkok" by Murray Head.

I'm sure there are many more though.

• Sly Stones "Thank You (Falettin Bemice Elf Agin)" has been covered by a lot of people, including Magazine.  Stevie Wonder also wrote some good ones, "Superstition",  RHCP and Stevie Ray Vaughan covered it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

The only song for another artist that springs to mind is "One Night In Bangkok" by Murray Head.
    I'd totally forgotten that, off to download it now! Thanks :D.

• Here's an embarrassing one, but i quite enjoy Neil Sedaka. The variety that guy could get with just piano chords, a voice and a fair bit of cheese always fascinated me
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • +1 for Carole King

but also: James Taylor
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself