oldGD not really an acoustic

What's Hot
this probably should be under the electric section, but it does compliment my dobro , this selmer lap steel is as old as I am & probably in slightly better condition, mike

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Very nice!

I recently worked on one very like that, not in quite as nice condition and possibly a little older (?) - looked slightly more '1930s gothic' although it was made in 1946 - with an original amp built into the case. It's the oldest British-made electric guitar amp I know of.

Sadly the amp could not be made operational and safe without destroying a lot of its historical value, so I left it as it was. The instrument sounded fantastic plugged into a modern amp though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the brassware :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is this for sale? Or are you simply, and understandably, being a proud owner? :-)
  • Gorgeous wrinkly! Beautiful machine.... Having come across an old beaut myself lately (check out my selmer amp discussion) there is a lot to be said for having an old piece of history close by (insert wife jokes here....). Great to see it going to a good home and being used.... Congrats!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 257
    this is something I bought for a rainy day, although at the moment I prefer my dobro, haven't really bonded with lap style yet, does sound incredible thro an amp tho' screams like a banshee if you crank it, all the electrics work with no crackles it really is in amazing condition, I did see one on the internet with a serial number of about 60 lower than mine described as 1948 so I guess mine must be around 1950 build date
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    this is something I bought for a rainy day, although at the moment I prefer my dobro, haven't really bonded with lap style yet, does sound incredible thro an amp tho' screams like a banshee if you crank it, all the electrics work with no crackles it really is in amazing condition
    I can't remember for sure from the one I worked on, but I think the pots will be wirewound types, which don't crackle like the more modern carbon-track ones do. The pickup on that one was really hot too, I can't remember the resistance but you're right, really screaming when cranked. I suspect they were never expected to be used like that - the designers would have expected the controls to be used like the ones on a radio or something, and not just turned up full :).

Later Selmer amps had a label on the back which said this:

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Judging by the strings twisted at the tuners I'd say it's got the original strings still on there. You just don't see that on modern guitars anymore.