Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps / Live

What's Hot

Comments

• H&K look good....
    Orange are out for me though I liked the simplicity. 

It's one thing to hear the guitar on it's own but in a band mix.... I wonder if the Blackstar cuts it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is interesting!
    Which do you prefer?

• This is interesting!
    Which do you prefer?

They're too different to compare, but I prefer the digital modelling amp in that clip for all three clips. Some would prefer the other way around.

It is proof it should cut in a band mix, too - that tele has some bite, and you can really hear it.  

The HT amps get stick for not cutting probably because of high gain, 2 guitar bands (2 guitar + bass + drums + vox = cut needed!). 

• I honestly think I'm going to go for one of the TVP amps - they're relatively cheap, sound MASSIVE in person (seriously, the valve sounds were comparable to the HT Club I was playing), has several tube "models," can play it at low volumes while still sounding good, play with mp3 player, it is light compared to the valve amp... what's not to like!? Under £500 for a 2x60W whereas the NL12 & VB800 I mentioned earlier, while light, would cost near £1k. Also no faff with (possible) valve maintenance.

Will try higher end amps next weekend, but I think I'm sold. Sounded massive in the shop. Really impressed! 
  • Would have to get this. Don't think there's an FX loop so would run pedals in front of it.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I think you can configure the emulated out to be an FX loop though personally I'd want to use the emulated out for gigging which would mean I'm not sure the amp would work for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Just wondering IF I went for the TVP, what wattage would be enough! 60W is only £400! 

For the money, I'm really blown away with these, I have to admit.... I actually think I'll end up getting one. 
    If you can afford it and it's not physically too big, get the 60. It's not about the power or volume, the 60 is just a much better amp than the 15 and 30 because it has a mid control in the EQ, and presence and resonance controls in the power amp. I found the presence and resonance were the most useful tone controls on the amp.

Bear in mind the footswitch is not included in the price. (Grrrr.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AH, it was the 60 I tried in the shop! 
  • Thomann do the 60 combo for £345 or head for £290. Not sure which I'd go for.. Must find out what speakers they use. So add in the foot switch and that's £400 total. I mean seriously, is there any point in checking anything else out? Was going to look at mesa / bogner heads but at £1.3k+.....
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited October 2014
    Oops, I think you have to add shipping on thomann.

Just been checking the reviews for this on this site. Some real love/hate going on! Most common complaints I read are distortion sounding like "bees in a bottle," the clean being a bit dark and possibly not cutting through in a live situation. But then I've read the complete opposite to those opinions also and the praise seems generally positive so.....?? Also a couple comments on "hiss":

Also no dedicated FX loop (option of using other ports, though). Supposedly there's a noise gate on the OD channels (not sure about the clean?). If on the clean channel and you want to use your own distortion, maybe not perfect,..

So... my search might continue, I don't know... There's the 60W version new going for £305 (new) but still undecided.

With no dedicated FX loop, will it sound ok running the FX straight into the input? I do this most times, anyway!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    The onboard FX are OK for things you'd probably want to run in a loop anyway - delay, reverb, chorus etc - you can always re-configure it for a loop, but you lose the emulated output, which may be an issue. Most other things go in front.

The tone is very much a Marmite thing, I think - I didn't really like it, but then I don't really like Blackstar valve amps either. It's not that they're poor quality sounds, I just don't get on with the rather dark, middy, 'controlled' sound - which might seem odd when I love Mesa Rectifiers which are also quite dark… but their dynamics are totally different, much looser. I didn't hate it though, it was certainly usable.

The speakers Blackstar have chosen may suit the sound very well - the one I tried extensively was a head, which I ran through both a good cabinet (Marshall 1960A) and a 'bad' one (Marshall Valvestate 4x12). Surprisingly it sounded better through the 'bad' cab! It may be voiced for a flatter, more midrangy type of speaker. I didn't try it with a V30 cab - I really wanted to, but there wasn't one available.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited October 2014
    I'd probably just put FX in front (I put all FX in front anyway - it's not THAT big a deal, right? There must be vids of FX with and without FX loop) - have you tried this? 
    The emulated out is just to go straight into a PA or recording device, yeah?

My main worry is this possible "hiss" people talk about and any noise gating... and if this means it renders my boost pedal useless...

I agree with it being a bit darker, but for the price....!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    IF the amp has an FX loop. put a noisegate in there the reduce/eliminate the hiss. However if you're using delay in the loop put the gate in front of them, or the delay's will be cut short.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• thomasross20;378136" said:
    This is interesting!Which do you prefer?image

Coming back to this, the main difference I hear is with the highly distorted end section. The ID amp definitely has more low end and maybe makes it a bit mushier.
    edited October 2014
    Here's another one:

Definite hiss on the ID there.
    I can get one brand new for ~£300... even if I didn't like it 100% resale would be ok on this, I reckon... maybe lose £100 tops.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Careful with YT vids - ok for a general impression, but the sound is always heavily compressed - hear them for yourself.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried one in the shop and thought it was amazing!

I think I'm going to go ahead and get it new for ~£300... Although I could afford it I'm not going to spend £1k+ on a Mesa valve head, or even ~£600 on an HT Club 40 when you need to be a weightlifter to carry the thing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bugger, the ID60W sold out at £300.... I can get a 2x60W for £359 but reckon that's a bit bigger than I need.
  • A 2x12 cab will be louder than a 1x12 cab but you get a better spread so your sound is less directional and you aren't at risk of killing someone in the direct beam of the speaker. If it's too loud then that's what the volume control is for.
  • Sale ends today (supposedly!) but it weighs 24kg!! The 1x60 weighed 18kg. The HT Club weighs 26kg or so and I thought that was mega heavy!