Amps / Live

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 2194
    edited October 2014

Given the amp is 24kg (heavy to me, anyway) I'm wondering... have any of you ever attached rollers to the bottom of an amp?
    I'm not sure if you mean casters but yes, my Egnater Rebel 30 2x12 is 88lbs which is 40Kg. While it's liftable I generally move it on its (optional) casters when I can.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 3276
    edited October 2014

Danny1969 said:
    Your IEM needs an aux send same as a wedge monitor so no difference in terms of adding complexity to a PA setup. Just smaller, lighter, no chance of feedback, better all round really. You don't need em  but playing live with a really good stereo mix of the whole band in your ears is an absolute pleasure and gives you the kind of clinical separation to the instruments you get in the studio. In the 30 years I've been gigging this has been the biggest improvement to playing live I've come across 
    So you do this with L/R panning of the Aux channel(s) I suppose ? (We've been doing mono, and it wasn't much cop really)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1316
    Jalapeno said:

Danny1969 said:
    Your IEM needs an aux send same as a wedge monitor so no difference in terms of adding complexity to a PA setup. Just smaller, lighter, no chance of feedback, better all round really. You don't need em  but playing live with a really good stereo mix of the whole band in your ears is an absolute pleasure and gives you the kind of clinical separation to the instruments you get in the studio. In the 30 years I've been gigging this has been the biggest improvement to playing live I've come across 
    So you do this with L/R panning of the Aux channel(s) I suppose ? (We've been doing mono, and it wasn't much cop really)
    What I assume Danny's talking about is using TWO aux sends to provide your IEM mix, one panned into your left ear and one your right; more complicated than I've ever tried mixing IEMs, but I've certainly heard of bands who play to click wanting their click track good and loud in just one ear and their band mix in the other.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 3538
    IanSavage said:
    Jalapeno said:

Danny1969 said:
    What I assume Danny's talking about is using TWO aux sends to provide your IEM mix, one panned into your left ear and one your right; more complicated than I've ever tried mixing IEMs, but I've certainly heard of bands who play to click wanting their click track good and loud in just one ear and their band mix in the other.
    Yeah on an older desk it's 2 aux sends and you basically say aux 1 is left ear aux 2 is right and then you can effectively create a nice stereo image of the band across your ears. I like my guitar in my right ear and the other guitarist in my left ear. Kick and snr central and toms and keys panned across. So the kick and snare get equal measures of aux 1 and 2 on their input channels, my guitar only gets some aux 2 and the other guitar only gets some aux 1 and so one

On the newer desks like the A&H QU series you just plug into a stereo IEM output pair like 3&4 or 5&6 and there's a pan knob to make the above easier. The trouble with everyone using stereo IEM's is you can quickly run out of aux sends so now it's generally done by passing all the channels out in digital format to be used for monitoring rather than using aux sends. With one band I'm using a cat 5 system where you receive all 32 channels via a cat 5 cable into your personal monitor system, you select from that what you want and then it daisy chains via cat 5 to the next guys personal monitor mixer and so on. That's about as luxury as it gets as these things also have 2 ambient mics built in for picking up the crowd and general ambiance.   

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I've got recordings of 8 of our songs from last night if you'd like to hear? Keep in mind we've only practised 4 times now...
    edited October 2014
    Danny1969 said:
    Yeah on an older desk it's 2 aux sends and you basically say aux 1 is left ear aux 2 is right and then you can effectively create a nice stereo image of the band across your ears. I like my guitar in my right ear and the other guitarist in my left ear. Kick and snr central and toms and keys panned across. So the kick and snare get equal measures of aux 1 and 2 on their input channels, my guitar only gets some aux 2 and the other guitar only gets some aux 1 and so one

On the newer desks like the A&H QU series you just plug into a stereo IEM output pair like 3&4 or 5&6 and there's a pan knob to make the above easier. The trouble with everyone using stereo IEM's is you can quickly run out of aux sends so now it's generally done by passing all the channels out in digital format to be used for monitoring rather than using aux sends. With one band I'm using a cat 5 system where you receive all 32 channels via a cat 5 cable into your personal monitor system, you select from that what you want and then it daisy chains via cat 5 to the next guys personal monitor mixer and so on. That's about as luxury as it gets as these things also have 2 ambient mics built in for picking up the crowd and general ambiance.   
    We chose a main mixer with 4 AUX outs, so we can mix individual IEM channels for each player - we've not had a gig since to try it out in anger though :))

Never really got on with floor monitors, especially on small stages - as I'm over 6ft they needed to to be too far in front !

Feedback
  • I've got recordings of 8 of our songs from last night if you'd like to hear? Keep in mind we've only practised 4 times now...
    Put them in soundcloud and post a link in "Making Music"
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 3543
    edited October 2014
    There are no casters on my Blackstar :( Wonder how I'd get some on (hopefully a mod like this wouldn't affect the warranty). 

Anyway, update! There's hardly any space left in the room with this new amp so I AM thinking about selling the Roland. And I'm happy to report that the Blackstar sounds AMAZING!! Even at low volumes. Not AS good through headphones but still damn good, and I'm relieved I don't need some sort of additional amp for headphone use. 

The sounds are EPIC. I've never had so much fun playing! 
    edited October 2014
    Hmm, gator cases seem to do amp transporters with wheels on. Maybe an alternative to a HotCovers case?

Basically there's no way I'm carrying 24kg around when I can get some wheels...

Could always also get a HotCovers cover and a dolly trolley off Amazon. Anybody use similar??
  • Wow, including postage, the HotCovers cover is bumped from £38 to £44.50 which is about 10% the price of the amp itself!! Starting to wonder if I really need it...!
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1316
    Halfords have got some heavy-ish duty (<45kg) wheeled trolleys in for £15 at the minute. DON'T buy the Argos 'camping trolley' if you do go that route, it says it'll take 30kg but it fucking well won't.
    edited October 2014
    Halfords, eh? I'll check it out, thanks!
    Do you use a trolley, Ian?

Can't find these - got a link?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 8133
    You might want to consider tethering it so it doesn't float away :)

When I had a super heavy amp I used to use a folding sack barrow 

Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Ah that looks good and folds away to fit in the car. Link...??
  • Nice. Think I'll wait for the sale. 
    Christ, the cost of teh handcart + cover will come to near £100! A quarter the cost of the amp!
    Homebase probably aren't the cheapest. I expect you will be able to find one for less somewhere else.

• Will check Costco also. Reviews for these always say these things are built flimsily. 

Anyway - I just ordered the HotCovers cover for the amp. I'm really bleeding money right now - ugh!!

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30909
    ICBM said:
    The Hotcovers does look pretty cool - though I see the Roqsolid got "Guitarist Choice" award.
    I've never actually seen a Roqsolid up close, but a Guitarist Choice award is totally meaningless. They have a good reputation amongst users, which is what's important… as do HotCovers.
    Having just acquired a Roqsolid by accident, I'm not sure which is better. The Roqsolid is nylon weave and seems harder-wearing, but is not very thick... the HotCovers is more padded but I'm always a bit concerned that the leathery stuff is soft and will tear if it gets snagged on something. They're just quite different really...

But either of them is much better than the crappy one you get with a Mesa amp :).
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • When you order the Roqsolid ones you have the option of asking for a double thickness on one panel and then put a piece of board in it which protects the speaker grille. That's what persuaded me to get one. I haven't actually got mine any more as it went when I sold that amp. The one for my Egnater is pretty decent quality
    When you order the Roqsolid ones you have the option of asking for a double thickness on one panel and then put a piece of board in it which protects the speaker grille.
    Ah, now that really is a good idea. If it goes the whole height of the front and protects the knobs too it's even better - I've seen knobs sheared off amps that were in covers at the time.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • Cheers, guys!

I went to B&Q today and saw the fold-up trolley they do. Looked alright but the step on which the amp would go seemed a bit short. Plus for £25 I thought it'd have been a bit sturdier. My forearms are a little sore from carrying it yesterday - can't be having that..

Lol @ Jal's post :D

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1332

A bass playing mate has used this one for many years with no hassles, much cheapness.

• Thanks - similar to the one is Halfords - decent price - so the step the amp is placed on is enough yeah?
    Seems luck of he draw if these things go bust on you! Looks like the best option so far.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5670
    I'd put a couple of bungee's round the amp, to hold it securely to the trolley. For the limited extra £ it's worth it. Especially if you're going over cobbles/rough ground. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

The one I bought came with a bungee
  • Good point - will defo be doing that
    And carry the amp with the front facing towards the trolley, not outwards - that way the weight of the speakers will tend to make it stay on instead of tipping off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter