Pickups

What's Hot
So, I'm considering a new tele build.

What's the difference between paf's & fender wide-range pickups (or have I got my comparisons wrong)?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited September 2014
    Are you talking about original wide ranges or the modern variant made by fender?

The original ones used cunife rod magnets (which also take a screw, that's why they didn't just use alnico as alnico crumbles i think). So a bit different from a PAF, more like 2 Fender-style single coils bunged together I think (I haven't tried the originals, that's just from what I've read, hopefully ash or someone can confirm that). And they're also a bit bigger which I'm guessing also affects the tone a bit.

If you're talking about the modern fender version, "not a lot" is the answer. :)) They're basically PAF-type pickups (bar magnet under the coils with steel polepieces) under the bigger cover and filled out with potting wax.

Fender claims the current/just discontinued AVRI '72 teles had the stock wide-range pickups voiced more closely to the originals. I dunno if they are or not, as I said, I haven't tried the originals. I'm guessing they still use PAF-style construction, though, since cunife is difficult/expensive to source.
  • The originals..

Tele deluxe build - paf's or wide range?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10354
    tFB Trader
    There is a huge difference in sound between pickups that have a bar magnet and plain steel slugs and screws to take the magnetic field to the strings (a PAF) ... and a pickup that has individual magnets for every string (like a proper Wide Range or WR clone). A wide range also uses bigger, non standard bucker bobbins so again a different sound. Also proper wide ranges have a big steel reflector plate under the magnets for added punch in the bottoms and mids.
    The difference in sound? The WR is Clearer, with more string definition ... and an almost 'doubled single coil vibe ... absolutely huge ... yet delicate.' Brilliant if that's what you want ... but not everybody's cup of tea.

My own Buccaneer Wide Range ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• There is a huge difference in sound between pickups that have a bar magnet and plain steel slugs and screws to take the magnetic field to the strings (a PAF) ... and a pickup that has individual magnets for every string (like a proper Wide Range or WR clone). A wide range also uses bigger, non standard bucker bobbins so again a different sound. Also proper wide ranges have a big steel reflector plate under the magnets for added punch in the bottoms and mids.
    The difference in sound? The WR is Clearer, with more string definition ... and an almost 'doubled single coil vibe ... absolutely huge ... yet delicate.' Brilliant if that's what you want ... but not everybody's cup of tea.

My own Buccaneer Wide Range ...
    Thank you, that's what I wanted :)

Is there any truth to Fender's claim that the AVRI '72 thinline's pickups are voiced closer to the original wide ranges, ash?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22778
    There is a huge difference in sound between pickups that have a bar magnet and plain steel slugs and screws to take the magnetic field to the strings (a PAF) ... and a pickup that has individual magnets for every string (like a proper Wide Range or WR clone). 

And hence, also, the unique qualities of P-90s compared with Fender style single-coils, presumably?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10354
    tFB Trader

Dave_Mc said:
    Is there any truth to Fender's claim that the AVRI '72 thinline's pickups are voiced closer to the original wide ranges, ash?
    A duck is closer to an elephant than a snake ... on account of it having legs!

Philly_Q said:
    There is a huge difference in sound between pickups that have a bar magnet and plain steel slugs and screws to take the magnetic field to the strings (a PAF) ... and a pickup that has individual magnets for every string (like a proper Wide Range or WR clone). 

And hence, also, the unique qualities of P-90s compared with Fender style single-coils, presumably?
    Absolutely! The basic point of the WR is that it's two traditional single coils slapped together ... even the magnet material of the original (CuNiFe) is secondary to the field placement relative to the coil.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Dave_Mc said:
    A duck is closer to an elephant than a snake ... on account of it having legs!
    That's kind of what I was thinking :)) Thanks :)