Boss RE-issues and limited run pedals?

What's Hot
Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3010
edited September 2013 in FX
An interesting post on Facebook from guitarguitar. The bosses from Boss are over in the UK at the moment (visited GAK yesterday) and on the post it says they were discussing interesting ideas about boss re-issues and limited run pedals.

If they did do it, what would you want re-issued? Slow gear, spectrum, VB-2, CE-1, DM-2? Or maybe the digital metalizer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd love to see the DM-2 so I can retire mine to the shelf. Can't find anything that compares to it.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I'd like to see the PN2 Tremolo/Pan for the same reasons as Spacecadet. 
    Maybe the VB2 as it is supposed to be good. Never tried it though.
    The Slow Gear is (as far as I'm concerned) over-rated. I tried one many moons ago (when they came out, in fact) to replace the volume pedal that I use for whale noises. I wasn't impressed.
    I can't think of any other Boss pedal that needs re-issuing that isn't already out there.
    Anyway, wouldn't re-issues just be blighted by the 'they're crap coz they're not black/ green/ pink or whatever label/ made in Japan' argument? And because of that, wouldn't sound the same.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Any of the '2's which have been replaced by '3's, for a start...

I must admit I don't miss too many of the old ones though, and they're reasonably easy to get second hand, with the possible exception of the VB-2 and a few of the other rare ones which aren't really all that useful. (I've owned a Slow Gear and a Spectrum, sold them for the silly money they fetch and wouldn't bother again.)

The PN-2 and PQ-4 were good, and fairly hard to get now, so maybe those even though they're not that old.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Oh- I forgot that Dimension C2- the one with the four buttons.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    EH-2
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Dm-2 for me
  • dogload;33967" said:
    Oh- I forgot that Dimension C2- the one with the four buttons.
    that one. Also mentioned on the Chorus discussion and, oddly enough, I was looking at a thing about John Jorgenson and he has one on his Hellecaster board.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    The PD-1, no contest. :)
  • CE-2 & DM-2 - on the proviso that the actually sound like the originals, rather than just look like them (Dunlop's MXR range is a perfect example of this - and actually don't look that similar either...)
  • I'm surprised Boss haven't jumped on this already. The success of the Ibanez handwired Tubescreamerand the recent MXR Bonamassa pedal shows limited runs can work. PGS have had limited pedals be successful like the Supernatural. 

A VB-2 would be lovely. 

edited September 2013
    Ibanez handwired Tubescreamer
    Lol... they can't be serious can they?

(Google google)

Oh... they are...

:))

Presumably the twits that are buying these don't know that the most desirable vintage Tube Screamers used by SRV, Eric Johnson et al are PCB?

And that you cannot "hand wire" the innards of a JRC4558D at all...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    ^ there are shitloads of threads on TGP where they say the HW tubescreamer is far better than the normal one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    Dave_Mc said:
    ^ there are shitloads of threads on TGP where they say the HW tubescreamer is far better than the normal one.
    Is that the same place where they thought the Freekish Blues Alpha Drive sounded "completely different' from the Joyo Ultimate Drive?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    funny that i dont like tubescreamers, i prefer a bad monkey into a valve amp or an sd1 into s/s... I find them a bit to (cant think of a better word) flubby.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    edited September 2013
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Is that the same place where they thought the Freekish Blues Alpha Drive sounded "completely different' from the Joyo Ultimate Drive?

Yes. And where they swore blind the Jan Ray couldn't possibly be a clone because it was just that good. And where they're currently hyping some probable clone/very slightly-tweaked clone called a dumbloid which is like $500. And which looks like it was put together by a GCSE electronics student in his/her shed (gutshots were posted by the person doing the hyping... they never learn :)) ).

Don't worry, I'm trolling the fuck out of that thread.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Dave_Mc said:
    Don't worry, I'm trolling the fuck out of that thread.

Top work.... 8-}

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Link to the thread? I'd like to join :D
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited September 2013
    Lol! Just read it. 600 dollars for a pedal? And that's the basic one?!

It's gooped. That means it's a clone. When was the last time that didn't mean "modified clone"?

When will these people learn that you can modify an existing circuit to restrict pot values in a" tone zone"? I'm going to hazard a guess that's probably what's going on.

I don't even know what "bloom" is.

Edjt: happy to be proven wrong, though.
  • I'd love to try a CE1 if they wanted to reissue that in a smaller box. 

HW TS808s are hilarious. I don't go on the FX pages of TGP; I just can't take it seriously. It's got a blue switch so it must be good... :rolleyes:

Mericky baby-boomers really make I larf :)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2013
    HM-2, so I can get one to play Entombed.

Honestly, those pedals have such a cult following, it'd probably be a pretty big seller if they reissued it accurately.

You can get them on eBay, but apparently they're getting harder to find because lots of the guitarists in the old Swedish death metal bands are stockpiling them, some have something like 20 each. This is because it's the pedal they all used in the late 80s and early 90s to get the massive thick "buzz-saw" guitar sound they favoured - they achieved said tone not by hours of careful tweaking, but instead by simply maxing every control. If you listen to "Left Hand Path" by Entombed, that's the sound.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."