Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thomann bargains: Gibson lefty firebird and Fender modern player jaguar

What's Hot
littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
edited September 2014 in Guitar
http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_firebird_stud_rev_70s_se_lh.htm

At £475 I'd be all over it if I was a southpaw.

and for £175 I'm sorely tempted...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    That Jaguar is a chuffing bargain, its Squier money,  ooo I wish I had the crisp and folding……….
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What about this? Seems a good price for an American build;

Any opinions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57;354532" said:
    That Jaguar is a chuffing bargain, its Squier money,  ooo I wish I had the crisp and folding……….
    It's probably built in the same chinese factory as a Squier as well...

Still looks a lot of guitar for the cash.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Iamnobody said:
    paulnb57;354532" said:

I'm pretty sure it is. Not all squiers are made in china and those that are are not all made in the same place, but I remember reading that the classic vibe models are made in the same place as the modern player series.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    They have the jag in Red as well -  not good when I'm already buying another prs this week and looking for a bass amp.    I'm struggling not to buy one of these at that price - thanks for the heads up!
  • Lusted over these a fair few time :-/
  • John_P said:
    They have the jag in Red as well -  not good when I'm already buying another prs this week and looking for a bass amp.    I'm struggling not to buy one of these at that price - thanks for the heads up!
    At current second hand rates you could probably sell it at a profit ;)
  • Those Jags are purdy, damn my 'no-buying-new-from-China' moral code :(
  • Just to stoke the GAS fires a little more, I've got a basically new one in red that I've been thinking of shifting. It's a thing of beauty but not getting played.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    edited September 2014
    I can see @Drewfx diggin that 'bird.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I'm a lefty but I really want that Jag. :((
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Damn. I'm a very bad man, I was congratulating myself only recently on not having bought a guitar for over a year, now I have two on there way, one being the Jag!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    I would love a lefty Jag too but it ain't gonna happen as we never get decent cheap Fenders! :(

That Gibson Firebird though ... rubs chin.
  • @longjaw I'm always singing the praises of my Squier CV Tele. It took Them a little while to bring them out. Maybe they'll have pity and do us a Squier or Mex Jag.

• dindude;354870" said:
    Damn. I'm a very bad man, I was congratulating myself only recently on not having bought a guitar for over a year, now I have two on there way, one being the Jag!
    Nice! Can't really go wrong at that price, it's cheaper than they are used on eBay...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude;354870" said:
    Nice! Can't really go wrong at that price, it's cheaper than they are used on eBay...
    That's exactly my thought process, nought (or very little) to loose. My other Potential NGD is much more of an expensive gamble - but that's for another thread if it eventually happens.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited September 2014
    You know you have incurable GAS when you find yourself thinking, even just for a second, "How hard would it be to relearn left-handed, really?"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2014
    Iamnobody said:
    paulnb57;354532" said:

It is.

I was told by a former employee of a prominent UK-based Fender dealer (can I be any more vague? :D) that all the Modern Player guitars were developed as Squiers, but Fender decided to put their own name on them. So they are basically Squiers, but because they say Fender on them, they were £100-150 more expensive at launch. Bit of a rip-off if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong, Squiers are great but I don't want to pay more than I should just because of a different transfer on the headstock.

These prices are much better, but I still have a problem with them because it seems like a slide downmarket for Fender. Bad idea to do really cheap stuff with their own name on it, because it'll devalue the brand. They're Squiers really, and should be sold as such.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2014
    I can see @Drew_fx diggin that 'bird.
    Fixed that so he's alerted to it :)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Would import duty have to be payed on these?