I Gots Me A New Man.....

What's Hot
randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
edited September 2014 in Guitar

On a very rare occasion (and after a shit busy week) me and the lady wife came into some money that wasn't automatically swallowed by the kids, the taxman, the council, an act of God....

So seeing as how the vanilla house wife pleaser 50 Shades Of Grey is due out in the cinema I thought I better up my game so had a splurge of some power tools.

Amazingly I still had some money left and couldn't think of anything I wanted but knew I wanted a treat for myself so I thought I would get me a new mandolin.  Tried a few then settled on a Loar LM600 and I fucking love it.  Now, currently in the process of recording a new Metal Mandolin album.

http://www.16tracks.com/images/LM-600-VS-Big.jpg

Oh and then I bought an Eleven Rack - but that's really for work so...... ;)

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15484
    nice, I demand soundclips (well, I don't demand really, more politely request but demand was a lot quicker to write what with politely request being a bit of a mouthful).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I will whack some up as soon a humanly possible..... I say 'humanly' but I probably mean 'realistically'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, that looks amazing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Nice! I recently bought a Kentucky KM505, but I nearly bought one of these Loars, they're great instruments for the money. Enjoy!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Cool!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Nice score.
  • Bidley said:
    Nice! I recently bought a Kentucky KM505, but I nearly bought one of these Loars, they're great instruments for the money. Enjoy!
    I was really, really tempted by the KM505 and to be honest my final choice was swung by wanting a scrolled mando as one of my others is a Kentucky 160 and I fancied something aesthetically different.  That kind of tied my to the Kentucky 630 and that's what I set out in my mind to get. it was over half the price again and I didn't think there was anything in it.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Cool stuff - very tempted by one of these meself.  Ditto to demanding some sound clips  :)
  • Ooh tasty, give us some wheel hoss then ;)
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3897
    Jeez that mandolin is a work of art.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Bidley said:
    I was really, really tempted by the KM505 and to be honest my final choice was swung by wanting a scrolled mando as one of my others is a Kentucky 160 and I fancied something aesthetically different.  That kind of tied my to the Kentucky 630 and that's what I set out in my mind to get. it was over half the price again and I didn't think there was anything in it.

Yeah fair enough. The scroll thing is quite desirable, looks so much cooler. I only bought the Kentucky because it was at a price I couldn't turn down!

You do tend to find the difference between mandos costing from £300 to £800 is pretty minimal, it depends on the player at that point. Although my KM is far better than the Gretsch New Yorker I have, it's not even funny.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    ...are you in a Blackmore Nights tribute band then??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • 57Deluxe said:
    ...are you in a Blackmore Nights tribute band then??
    As soon as the wife's witches hat arrives I am on it.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Big mando fan here! I keep reading good things about the Loar instruments. 

I've got an F and an A style with f and oval soundholes respectively. Currently preferring the A-oval combination sound-wise but the F happens to be easier to play (lower action and bigger frets).

Congratulations on the GAS, sorry, MAS.