Maxon 9 series pedals

capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
Tell me about your experiences with these pedals ? Drive modulation and delay? These come across as premium reissues of the Ibanez pedals they one made for Ibanez demos sound ok are they any good ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I've played/owned a fair few of them. Liked all of them, tbh, but none ever really stayed long. Not much does on my board, though, so it's not Maxon's fault! I view them as "really posh Boss pedals" - mass produced, but very high quality. Even some of the other Maxon ranges (the PT-999 phaser springs immediately to mind) are bloody ace, IMO.

Any in particular you were looking at? I have experience with the analog delay, phaser, chorus, flanger, and the SD-9 and OD-9, if you were looking at any of those?

How embarrassing I've had all of that lot!
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Thanks @JDE all of the above ! OD9, Super Chorus, Flanger, AD9 delay and the Wah Filter
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The OD9 is basically a cleaned up TS9. IIRC, the 9 series are all true bypass, as opposed to the, again - my opinion, woeful buffer in the current Ibanez TS9. The sound of the Maxon is a little clearer than a regular TS9, maybe a touch brighter overall too, but not as shrill on the top end. I think the OD9 sounds more like an 808 than a TS9, tbh. Same gain range and "ts tone" though, so if you don't like screamers, or want a or want a more uncompressed/open tone, they're probably not for you.

I really liked the flanger and far preferred it to the chorus. The flanger can actually do a couple of good chorus sounds as well as jet plane stuff, The Cult-type stuff and some (ahem) modern metal-y stuff. I found the chorus to be quite bright. It's a very clear sounding chorus, but if you're used to swampier fatter chorus pedals, like an EHX Small Clone, you might find it a bit abrasive. It's also fairly subtle, and what detune you can get out of extreme settings isn't like a cool old vibe, it sounds more "gimmicky." Apparently for optimum results with the chorus, stereo operation is a must and I only had one amp at the time so maybe I was missing a trick there.

Love the AD9 - nicely dark, great for ambient washes etc. Bit too dark for slapback in my opinion, but as a 70's rock type analog delay it's great. Better than the Carbon Copy, IMO. As good as a DM2. As with all analog delays, I wish it had more volume, but that's the nature of the beast. A plus point is it's very hard to make clip, which is great if you're gonna pummel it with a load of boosts.

Never played the wah filter personally, but I know a lot of "jam band" players who really rate it for Jerry Garcia sounds. These people are generally pretty anal about stuff, so if they recommend it, it's probably good!

Of those you mentioned, I would say the Flanger is my fave, followed by the AD9.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Thanks fella much appreciated