TC Electronic Nova - User experience?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
I'm gravitating towards a TC Nova, anyone used one in anger? 

Whats good/bad?.

Cheers!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The switching drove me nuts (works when you take your foot off rather than when you put it on) & found the drive sounds a bit meh.

Excellent delays, reverbs & mods though...

• Yeah, I really like the effects rather than the drive, which is pretty ok though. Works well with expression pedals and overall, I really dig the unit
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited September 2014
    The switching drove me nuts (works when you take your foot off rather than when you put it on) & found the drive sounds a bit meh.

Excellent delays, reverbs & mods though...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was impressed by the 'hype' and 'professional quality' tag, so bought one but with an option to return it and get a full refund within 30 days from DV247.  But I have to say was very disappointed with it - I even had the optional pedal to make switching easier.  The distortions were beyond disappointing - very flat and artificial sounding, that badly let the whole unit down.  I know this unit has had heaps of praise and a professional 'following' but whilst the effects were all pretty good, apart from a few very nice reverbs, they really were nothing special at all and in all honesty I found that overall my Vox Tonelab LE was much better, way more versatile and much easier to use.  So I returned the Nova and kept the TLLE which only cost a third of the Nova cost, & which has been absolutely terrific.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744

I really like the Nova, but agree with the switching being annoying - I'm looking out for another one at the moment and I'll add a midi pedal board to control it.  

Programming it was a doddle and the sounds are great, not having a loop is a pain if you want to use your amp pre after the comp and drive and before the mod/delay but I'd use it into a clean amp or just as fx in the loop of my amp.

• I had one and ran it straight into a clean amp (HRD). I thought it was good, I've since moved on to the g system but I would get another nova system if I could.

I used a midi controller which seemed to help the switching issues some people mention. I used it with the nova drive too. My old pedalboard below

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/benvallins/Nova System/pedalboard_zps1c609754.jpg
  • Oh yeah, the tuner doesn't like low tunings. Even drop d is a bit tricky. You have to hit the harmonic at the 12th fret to get around it.
  • I've got one, and I'd agree with all of the above really. Cracking unit, switching is fairly pants, though I think I've got used to it now....just as I take it off my board and swap it for a few individual pedals! May be up for sale soon so if someone wants one, either keep an eye out, or drop me a PM
  • Pretty much what everyone else is saying, in preset mode, the switching between patches takes a bit of getting used to as it switches on rerelease of the button rather than on pressing it. In pedal mode it's brilliant, and the drive and fx sounds are all top notch. Built like a tank as well. Bloody good bit of kit, depends how you would use it really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Watch out for the tone suck! Wasn't overly impressed with the drives either. Sold mine and replaced with M13 but now back to individual pedals