Clear Varnish Advice anyone?

What's Hot

Finishing off a loverly maple neck on a project here. Should I spray the headstock (over a decal) in acrylic or nitro-cellulose? Any particular brand recommended for a novice?

Also, how should I protect the finger board - Danish oil??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    All of what you suggest will work, but what are you after?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • just want it to be a clean, thin, not too glossy finish. Seal in the decal and protect the fingerboard from dirt stains sweat etc. Looking for a smooth finish - the wood speaks for itself
  • Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Spikeedog said:
    just want it to be a clean, thin, not too glossy finish. Seal in the decal and protect the fingerboard from dirt stains sweat etc. Looking for a smooth finish - the wood speaks for itself

Mask the board and whole neck really well, just leave the headstock face, nitrocellulose that until the logo is buried in the lacquer, let it be for the appropriate time (long........), finish to suit. Unmask neck and board, oil to taste. Maybe?

(I've been imbibing).
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Imbibing or no that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.
    Spikeedog;357022" said:
    Imbibing or no that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Beware, I am a Fool.

Mask well and tight (everything, including over the machine head holes on the back of the headstock) tho, esp around the edges of the headstock face profile so it's neat and pro looking.

I'm now orf to be a Fool with some MDF.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    jd0272 said:
    Spikeedog said:
    just want it to be a clean, thin, not too glossy finish. Seal in the decal and protect the fingerboard from dirt stains sweat etc. Looking for a smooth finish - the wood speaks for itself

Mask the board and whole neck really well, just leave the headstock face, nitrocellulose that until the logo is buried in the lacquer, let it be for the appropriate time (long........), finish to suit. Unmask neck and board, oil to taste. Maybe?

(I've been imbibing).
    that's what i do.  logo's work much better with lacquer.   but don't be too heavy with the first few coats of lacquer or it will destroy it.

Nitro from a spray can will be touch dry really quick, but best to give it a day or two before starting the oiling.  I use nitro with a light tint if i am going for a darker oil on the neck, i use chestnut satin acrylic lacquer when I want it to look clean and pale
  • Nitro lacquer spray can. Any particular make youse have used?
    Manchester Guitar Tech's stuff is really top notch, Rothko and Frost too.
  • found the Rothco and Frost I'll have a look at the Manchester Guitar Tech stuff. Thanks