Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Relics

What's Hot
Shiny new things aren't very rock'n'roll......but buying an (expensive) pre-reliced guitar is surely even less cool. Discuss. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oh here we go again. 

Some relics are brilliant, some relics are bad, some look great, some look silly, some play well, some play badly, some sound good, some sound rubbish.

That should cover the thread nicely :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • The backstory here is that whilst I am slightly sneering of relics at an intellectual level, I sort of want one.......
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh here we go again. 

Some relics are brilliant, some relics are bad, some look great, some look silly, some play well, some play badly, some sound good, some sound rubbish.

That should cover the thread nicely :)
    Yeah, I get that some are good and some are bad. It's the notion of "buying" mojo that I'm exploring....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I should say, I have one, which I adore, and I have no issue with them conceptually. But a lot of them look stupid.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    All the cobblers from both sides of the argument has been spouted ad nauseam.
    It's a finish option that some like and some don't.
    Overdone relics are usually silly ... but I see them as sort of cool in a 'film prop' sort of way.

I have one relic guitar (purely because I wanted the guitar ... not particularly the finish) ... and I actually quite like it ...

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Relics fall into Izzard's circle of cool...

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=13013#.VBw19vldXTo
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Ah this old thread again. Later today I'm expecting to see

Gibson quality control discuss

And

PRS are for dentists aren't they?

All followed up by a DrewFx thread asking if you've ever licked a girls Kemper in off topic ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    My current project is a relic job. And I've asked the original question over and over to myself. At the moment, I like it. I like nitro finishes. I like beat up. It feels good baby.
  • jellyroll said:
    The backstory here is that whilst I am slightly sneering of relics at an intellectual level, I sort of want one.......

Exactly.

I want to do one, not because I really want one, but because I want to see if I could do it well.

• I had a Fender 59 Esquire Relic, it was spot on.  First off it was just a brilliant guitar, and the relic work was very realistic.  I will get another relic, probably a Telecaster, and I won't sell it! Probably...

On the flip side, some relics do get overdone and look absolutely shit.
    tFB Trader
    I like as little finish as possible ... so 'sunken' nitro, gun stock oil ... whatever gets the job done.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I'll post what I usually do in a Relic thread....

Custom Shop Relics are almost always exceptionally good guitars - right up there with the best 'real' vintage Fenders.

Whether the idea appeals to someone is a matter of individual taste.
    tFB Trader
    I'll post what I usually do in a Relic thread....

Custom Shop Relics are almost always exceptionally good guitars - right up there with the best 'real' vintage Fenders.

Whether the idea appeals to someone is a matter of individual taste.
      Amen to that ....

• Last time I was up in Paris at Pigalle (it's like Denmark street, but for Frogs) I was amazed just how shit so many of the boutique brands of relics were (not mentioning any names) seeing them in the flesh.

Really plastic like finishes, struck me it was very like going to Disney and looking at the fake rocks - A sort of facsimile of the real deal, but in a very fake way.

Having just built a relic though, I love the way that you don't have to be so precious about them, it's the only guitar I let my cat sleep on :)

• Not for me, thanks. OK if it's genuinely old and a bit beaten up, but I see no virtue in a new instrument being other than, er, a new instrument. And that includes what it looks like. For anyone else, the choice is of course yours.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Do we not have a Relic thread for pic posts? If not we should. Then all could post either "Oooh" or "Urghhhh" and that would simplify things a bit and we'd have some nice pics to boot!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • In my opinion, even really well done artificial aging that looks like the real thing isn't "cool."

Not to say that I don't like a well-executed relic, but it just isn't cool.
  • Zodiac51 said:

Last time I was up in Paris at Pigalle 

You wanna do business?
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    GuitarMonkey;356607" said:
    In my opinion, even really well done artificial aging that looks like the real thing isn't "cool."

Not to say that I don't like a well-executed relic, but it just isn't cool.

When I turned 40, cool stopped being important. I'm much happier now. :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    We should have a guess the relic vs the genuine vintage competition
    "OUR TOSSPOT"