Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Relics

What's Hot

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    jonnyburgo;356610" said:
    We should have a guess the relic vs the genuine vintage competition
    Are there enough vintages in our FB community tho?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We should have a guess the relic vs the genuine vintage competition
    The real vintage guitars will be those with just the odd ding and some lacquer crazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Still nice to see em.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    jellyroll said:
    Yeah, I get that some are good and some are bad. It's the notion of "buying" mojo that I'm exploring....
    If you believe in mojo by a klon, a relic guitar will always disappoint in the mojo stakes.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • When you scratch a relic lightly with your finger you'll find it smells like butter.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe;356635" said:
    When you scratch a relic lightly with your finger you'll find it smells like butter.

My sinuses are always blocked, so I can't verify this. :(
  • jellyroll;356448" said:
    The backstory here is that whilst I am slightly sneering of relics at an intellectual level, I sort of want one.......
    The answer, of course, is a second hand guitar.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Deadman said:
    My current project is a relic job. And I've asked the original question over and over to myself. At the moment, I like it. I like nitro finishes. I like beat up. It feels good baby.
    I don't know what the answer to the question is. But I am willing to have a stab at it.  :D
    I think it is a fantasy. And that includes all the VOS guitars. So we are talking about a lot of guitars.
    Why would you want a guitar with a "patina".....?
    Er.....Because the 60 year old design you just bought might just be an old guitar if you squint and daydream at the same time.....?

And I want to be clear about this. If hundreds of Historic owners on LPF have a personality defect (or are just being a bit silly)......I share that flaw. I may buy a Relic soon.
    I will know for sure that things are out of control when I catch myself having virtual sex with a dead movie star....

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    In my experience there is no such thing as a realistic relic as having owned a few genuinely old and bashed up guitars the main thing that always happens to old guitars isn't tasteful paint crazing it's falling off a stand and getting a bloody great dent in either the back of the neck or the fingerboard or if it's a Gibson having the headstock or neck snap off. 

Obviously I'm not suggesting people start doing it, but I always check for the smooth as a babies bum neck as a dead giveaway.

The funny thing is people are always saying my 35 year old Strat is obviously a relic because much of the metalwork is new and shiney not realising that on a working instrument rather than a cork sniffers wall covering you tend to replace things like pickguard screws when they get unusably corroded. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
    tFB Trader
    I have a relic face so need a relic guitar :-(
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have a relic face so need a relic guitar :-(

I must have a litre bottle of strong gin/bourbon face in that event   
    :-S
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
    tFB Trader
    :-))
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Skipped said:

I concur.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    Skipped said:

I concur.
    Is that Tony Curtis?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I have relic'd my guitar and my bass. I love them both very much! A relic guitar is so much more comfortable to own IMO, shiny new guitars have to be handled with great care - not very rock n roll.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    axisus;356741" said:
    I have relic'd my guitar and my bass. I love them both very much! A relic guitar is so much more comfortable to own IMO, shiny new guitars have to be handled with great care - not very rock n roll.
    I'm feeling that too. I take it yours are nitro?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I think people take the whole "you have to pay your dues" business way too seriously.

I have genuinely battered guitars from 30 years of gigging, guitars I've set fire to, shiney new guitars, a Hello Kitty Strat, and a flying V made from a knotty old shithouse door.

They're part functional tools, and part stage props. Some of them are deadly serious instruments and some of them are a bit of fun. If a part looks inappropriately shiney for a particular guitar I'll attack with something until it isn't.

It's not the end of the world, and my almost non-existent street cred will survive whatever the hell anyone else wants to think about it.

I've never spent two grand on a Custom Shop relic, but one day I just might if I like one well enough.
  • axisus said:
    I have relic'd my guitar and my bass.
    @richardhomer what's your view on the apostrophe here?  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyroll;356757" said:
    axisus said:

I have relic'd my guitar and my bass.

@richardhomer what's your view on the apostrophe here?  :)
    The issue isn't really the apostrophe - the word 'relic' is a noun but is now frequently used as a verb.

A more acceptable sentence would be 'I have damaged both my guitar and bass, in order that their finishes resemble those of a Fender Custom Shop Relic'.

'Mic'd' presents a similar dilemma....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom