Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Relics

What's Hot

Comments

• the 'd is a bit old-skool Shakespearian:

In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
        From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
        Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
        From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
        A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
        Whose misadventur'd piteous overthrows
        Doth with their death bury their parents' strife.
        The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,
        And the continuance of their parents' rage,
        Which, but their children's end, naught could remove,
        Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;
        The which if you with patient ears attend,
        What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    p90fool said:
    I think people take the whole "you have to pay your dues" business way too seriously.

No reason to pay dues these days. Other jobs available, and loads of venues closing. God forbid a man has to play an electric guitar through a battery amp on a street corner! Who on earth would do that???   :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    jellyroll said:
    axisus said:
    I have relic'd my guitar and my bass.
    @richardhomer what's your view on the apostrophe here?  :)

I do that all the time, as I'm 42 and not 'cool'. (And outside of the salary factory, I don't really care).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    axisus said:

I have relic'd my guitar and my bass. I love them both very much! A relic guitar is so much more comfortable to own IMO, shiny new guitars have to be handled with great care - not very rock n roll.
    Isn't it much easier just to not handle shiny new guitars with great care, and save yourself two lots of bother?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;356789" said:
    [quote=axisus]
    I have relic'd my guitar and my bass. I love them both very much! A relic guitar is so much more comfortable to own IMO, shiny new guitars have to be handled with great care - not very rock n roll.
    Isn't it much easier just to not handle shiny new guitars with great care, and save yourself two lots of bother?

[/quote]

That is where I stand - use a nice thing finish then just abuse it.

That said, @axisus was the first person to show me a relic guitar I liked on the forum, and since I'm finding I like more, although they're usually the ones that look like they were recovered from the bottom of the ocean (prop guitars?).

Fender custom shop is daft though. It isn't really custom shop, so much as "relic style fender" - not cool. I want imaginative finishes, marble or cracked mirrors or different colours, or different hardware and pickup combinations, or neck shapes from the custom shop.

I do think the main USA line could be simplified greatly, and leave the mega options in necks, hardware and finishes to the custom shop, but it's almost reversed at the moment - the custom shop is mostly 'normal' spec, but relic, and there are a thousand different 'standard' type lines with different specs. After all, most of us just want a USA standard...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd relic'd There, I feel better now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Deadman said:
    axisus;356741" said:
    I'm feeling that too. I take it yours are nitro?

Yup. Needs to be nitro
  • it's a fad.  Like the current fad for Victorian royalty style beards, it'll fade out.  When that happens, the price or reliced guitars will fall through the floor.  Original vintage guitars, naturally reliced over time, will not lose value.

Marlin
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    jellyroll;356757" said:
    axisus said:

I have relic'd my guitar and my bass.

@richardhomer what's your view on the apostrophe here?  :)
    The issue isn't really the apostrophe - the word 'relic' is a noun but is now frequently used as a verb.

A more acceptable sentence would be 'I have damaged both my guitar and bass, in order that their finishes resemble those of a Fender Custom Shop Relic'.

'Mic'd' presents a similar dilemma....
    That reminds me.. You know how people have started saying "inbox me.." That's bad enough - obviously - but some so and so on Facebook, the other day, had to go one better (or worse), by saying "drop me an inbox". I shit you not! I almost wept..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe;356846" said:
    That reminds me.. You know how people have started saying "inbox me.." That's bad enough - obviously - but some so and so on Facebook, the other day, had to go one better (or worse), by saying "drop me an inbox". I shit you not! I almost wept..
    Sounds like we have similar standards....

I'll PM you.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    Artificial relic'ing always looks bollocks in the flesh and slightly attractive in online photos. 

Ooh dunno, one (highly regarded luthier in my neck of the woods, who makes sublime Fender reps, with his name on I may add) luthier said of mine when I took it for a 'fix', upon opening the case, "Is that the real deal....?"

To which I immediately issued, "Nah, is it bollocks. Now, there's summat buggered with it......."

Obviously if he'd gotten as far as taking it out of the case, he'd not have needed to ask, but still. That said, mine's not OTT, and is quite naturally kicked in by me anyway.

usedtobe;356846" said:

I'll PM you.

If I could've LOL'd you more than once I would have.
  • usedtobe;356846" said:

I'll PM you.
    Couldn't agree more. We've got @TTony in the nervous new guitar day thread saying complimentary instead of complementary, principal instead of principle in the Brazillian (sic) rosewood thread. C'mon guys, standards are slipping around here!!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    Couldn't agree more. We've got @TTony in the nervous new guitar day thread saying complimentary instead of complementary, 

X_X

I don't know how that happened.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    axisus said:
    Deadman said:
    axisus;356741" said:
    I'm feeling that too. I take it yours are nitro?

Yup. Needs to be nitro
    Just as I thought.

We're members of the Fretboard home-made relic gang. Those who had the balls (or stupidity)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Relic guitars = stonewash jeans.
  • "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Relic Guitars = My face, although Relic guitars don't have the same air of depression and pathetic self loathing I do , 
  • Steinberger pretty much proved that all you need is a neck and something to hold the pickups and bridge.

Everything else is just gloss. 

So I have no problem with relic guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1904
    edited September 2014
    I like the subtle relic job that John Mayall did on his Eric Johnson Strat:

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AngryGoldfishAngryGoldfish Frets: 19
    edited September 2014
    You can't 'buy' mojo in tattered form. Mojo is inherently, by definition, unattainable except to a select few.

Relic guitars look really cool if the relicing is done as a form of art, as a way to balance out the aesthetics. But then you have the Nash approach, which is to just beat the shit out of it—with a sledgehammer for those that want "heavy", and a chisel for those who want "light"—and charge an arm and a leg for a slapped together Telecaster anyone can make if they know how to set up a guitar.

Mojo is unquantifiable. Many modern relic guitars are quite definable. They're mediocre instruments made to look special. Some are phenomenal and done right, but most aren't. Fano make good shit. In general, I prefer an 'aged' finish, as in one that feels like it's not brand new but doesn't suffer from dodgy frets or scratchy wiring like most vintage guitars wood.