Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

firebird owners? thoughts?

What's Hot
I was on the hunt for a yamaha SG - but i've gone off on a tangent and now I have an urge for a Firebird... it doesn't have to be a Gibson, open to suggestions.

Just thought I'd pick some brains on here.

Cheers

Mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have not owned one but have played Gibson, Tokai, and hand-built versions. Mini humbuckers are quite jangly/harsh IMO. Upper fret access is good. Incredibly looooong instrument. Warren Haynes playing a Firebird into a Soldano SLO was one of the greatest sounds ever.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 232
    I've got an Epiphone Firebird VII (one with the maestro trem).

I agree with bluechargeboy, neck is so long (almost like playing a bass), the stock pickups feel low powered but can get some great tones out of them.
    Really comfortable guitar to play though.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    You need a Passport to get yer fingers up to the first three frets.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    It's a big old beast - definitely try before you buy, or at least strap an ironing board on with a guitar strap to simulate the sort of heft you'll be dealing with. Delicate as f*ck headstock joint, and the cheaper cases are Firebird euthanasia devices (most FB headstock breaks happen while they're in the case), so if you're taking the tube/bus to gigs - forget it. Stock Gibson reissue FB pickups are pony - ridiculously overwound SHOUTY ONE-TRICK PONIES. Proper Firebird pickups (pedant fact: they are not mini-humbuckers) are fairly low output. A very Fender sounding Gibson. Also, while I'm usually a big exponent of Tokai/Edwards etc., I'm not sure if any of the copies do the proper nine-ply neck-thru construction. They're one of those Gibsons that can be picked up for comparatively cheap (there's a nice white one on eBay at the mo for £600).

All that said, I love mine to bits.

ALSO: PGS have just done a Firebird demo where it's got some proper, Firebird-sounding pickups in it:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thanks for that all.

and thanks @benecol that's a lot of what I had read, people slating the PU's and the 'delicate' necks. I was tempted to get a epi / tokai to see how I get on with it, but I think a try before I buy is a good shout!

M
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader

I have a Tokai, they aren't through neck but still got plenty of sustain. The scale is std Gibson but the headstock is a long old thing and makes the guitar feel long. But mine is right here and is no longer than the other three guitars in the room, it just somehow seems long.
    The bridge pup is bright and sharp but either sound good with the right dirt. Wish the Tokai had the proper machine heads, but at least that vulnerability is removed.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    benecol said:
    It's a big old beast - definitely try before you buy, or at least strap an ironing board on with a guitar strap to simulate the sort of heft you'll be dealing with. Delicate as f*ck headstock joint, and the cheaper cases are Firebird euthanasia devices (most FB headstock breaks happen while they're in the case), so if you're taking the tube/bus to gigs - forget it. Stock Gibson reissue FB pickups are pony - ridiculously overwound SHOUTY ONE-TRICK PONIES. Proper Firebird pickups (pedant fact: they are not mini-humbuckers) are fairly low output. A very Fender sounding Gibson. Also, while I'm usually a big exponent of Tokai/Edwards etc., I'm not sure if any of the copies do the proper nine-ply neck-thru construction. They're one of those Gibsons that can be picked up for comparatively cheap (there's a nice white one on eBay at the mo for £600).

All that said, I love mine to bits.

ALSO: PGS have just done a Firebird demo where it's got some proper, Firebird-sounding pickups in it:

The real ones are much nicer pickups than standard mini humbuckers ... and the only mini's I make at the moment. Gibson have naffed up as consistently making reissue Firebird pickups as badly as Fender have with their abysmal Wide Range reissues!

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    I have a 2007 Firebird V that I love. Got it used but mint. It's one of those guitars that will never be my number 1, but would miss it if I didn't have it. I actually quite like the standard pickups, but I am going to replace them with proper vimtage clones of some sort due to everyone recommending the swap. I like it how it is, but if I can get it better why not? Thanks for the link to the PGS vid, those Mojotone pickups sound mega! [IMG]http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p437/Kylefarrell/My Guitars/207669BB-E5BA-4103-B01B-4ECCF16A07F8_zpstr3vfsfw.jpg[/IMG]
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited September 2014
    I don't think it's the physical size of the thing so much as the design means your playing position changes.
    It's OK sitting, but when you stand up, you feel you have to either have it slung quite a log way towards your playing hand so that it is comfortably over the strings, or else you have it in a 'cool' position, where you playing hand is right across your body and your fretting hand has to reaaaaaaallllly stretch for the first few frets!
    edited September 2014
    TheGuitarWeasel said:Gibson have naffed up as consistently making reissue Firebird pickups as badly as Fender have with their abysmal Wide Range reissues!

+1 Wisdom for '
    never a truer word spoken'. I put Zhangbuckers in mine a couple of years ago, but had no idea you made FB pickups (in my defence, I don't think I frequented musicradar then either). Something to watch out for if/when choosing aftermarket pickups is that the reissue pickups and mounts are slightly larger than the originals. Some manufacturers (there's a list somewhere, but definitely SD) make them to original sizes, so if you drop them in your Firebird, you'll have a slight gap.

@Corvus You must have some long guitars (or Tokai make a short Firebird) - my Firebird is considerably longer than my other guitars (will take a comparison pic later after work*).

* on a bloody Saturday. Cruel and unusual.
    tFB Trader
    ^I was wondering if I'd got that right.. had sunk a good few shots of Devils Cut last night... It's maybe 2" longer than the Jazzmaster but the same as the Gretsch and Yam semi's here. It's shorter scale than Fender but the headstock is almost the size of Wales. Praps because I'm tall I don't find it a reach when on a strap, dunno. It does feel different, less natural to sit with but I like it on the strap apart from neck-dive tendency. Helped by a wide leather strap.
    Yep, I too am tall (and a Jazzmaster owner). Mine sits next to a 335 and an SG, and there's a definite step down in length between each one. I'll post an artfully arranged humblebrag picture later.
  • remember to check the case will fit in the car if you are gigging! Seriously. 
    tFB Trader
    Also with the strap buttons, the neck one is right nr the end of the board which puts the whole neck that couple or three inches further away compared to others. Quirky ol' things for sure.
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    remember to check the case will fit in the car if you are gigging! Seriously. 

My case will double as my coffin for when I die.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    markblack said:
    thanks for that all.

and thanks @benecol that's a lot of what I had read, people slating the PU's and the 'delicate' necks. I was tempted to get a epi / tokai to see how I get on with it, but I think a try before I buy is a good shout!

M

I was browsing in a music shop a few years ago, and a Tokai Firebird was hanging on the wall.  I gave it a go - and it was horrid.  After playing it, I could only really describe it as the "Tokai Firewood".  It was lifeless, and just unpleasant to try and play. That wasn't to do with the length of it, but it just felt... terrible.

Love the look of them, but if that was a typical example of the Tokai ones - avoid!!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    benecol said:
    TheGuitarWeasel said:Gibson have naffed up as consistently making reissue Firebird pickups as badly as Fender have with their abysmal Wide Range reissues!

+1 Wisdom for 'never a truer word spoken'. I put Zhangbuckers in mine a couple of years ago, but had no idea you made FB pickups (in my defence, I don't think I frequented musicradar then either). Something to watch out for if/when choosing aftermarket pickups is that the reissue pickups and mounts are slightly larger than the originals. Some manufacturers (there's a list somewhere, but definitely SD) make them to original sizes, so if you drop them in your Firebird, you'll have a slight gap.

@Corvus You must have some long guitars (or Tokai make a short Firebird) - my Firebird is considerably longer than my other guitars (will take a comparison pic later after work*).

* on a bloody Saturday. Cruel and unusual.

My Firebird pickups 'Winterizers' are the same size as the original 60s ones ... means they are three times the price for me to buy than the larger ones ... hey ho!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

@TheGuitarWeasel But but but... If you had an OG Firebird (with mounts of those dimensions) surely you'd be far less likely to be changing your pickups? Surely you'd sell more of the cheaper, reissue-sized ones?

(stop calling me Shirley, etc.)
  • remember to check the case will fit in the car if you are gigging! Seriously. 

+1  I bought a new car and if I still had my Firebird, the case wouldn't have fitted. The case was 4 inches wider than the rear seats. 

edited September 2014
    Every now and then, my wife will catch me doing something guitars-on-the-internet related, and ask me what I'm doing, before giving me a pitying look. Being caught taking this photo was one of those moments. From top to bottom: SG, 335, Firebird and tele.

Bonus dull fact: I don't like red guitars, but have somehow ended up with a cherry Firebird, a cherry 335 and a cherry SG. Even my tele is shell pink.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom