Soul food diodes

What's Hot
Does anyone lnow what diodes are in the Ehx soul food?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    edited September 2014
    Calling @handsomerik

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    Silicon rather than germanium like the klon.
  • I fancy adding a switch to flick between the standard diodes and some ge oa90's that i have.
  • standard silicone ones. Changing them out for germanium 1N34a diodes makes it much smoother.
  • Thanks handsomerik, would my oa90's be no good then?
  • I'm not familiar with them I'm afraid. @juansolo is probably more knowledgeable about such things and I'm sure he'd be happy to offer advice.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1626

The 1N34a diodes are point contact types just like OA90/91s so I doubt there will be any audible difference.

Other types you can play with are LEDs and Shottky diodes. 

Just to be an early morning pedantic? SiliCONE is a complex compound. SiliCON is an element and is what semiconductors are made from.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Brill, thanks guys!! :)
    Just got to work out the wiring now!!
    Happy days!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    ecc83 said:

"Just to be an early morning pedantic"

Did you mean "Just to be an early morning pedant"?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgo;357829" said:
    ecc83 said:

"Just to be an early morning pedantic"

Did you mean "Just to be an early morning pedant"?
    Ecc83 pitches it up...

Jonnyburgo takes a swing...

Its right out of the park folks!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Sorry, been away. No idea what's in the SF, likely BAT41's or something like that at a total guess ;)

Everything else has been covered I think. I tend to use 1N34As from Tayda with a forward voltage of 260-290mV. They're as close as anything to the unicorn tear diodes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ecc83 said:

The 1N34a diodes are point contact types just like OA90/91s so I doubt there will be any audible difference.

Other types you can play with are LEDs and Shottky diodes. 

Just to be an early morning pedantic? SiliCONE is a complex compound. SiliCON is an element and is what semiconductors are made from.

Dave.

Forward voltage drop of geranium diodes is lower than silicone diodes so you will notice a difference.

As you are generating a square (ish) wave with higher harmonics I suspect stray capacitance may also have an effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    Given how similar these two pedals sound in the demos I've heard when they use completely different diodes, I would be amazed if the exact type of diode within a particular class makes any difference.

But for the record, I usually prefer geraniums to silicone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • you mean silicon surely
  • ICBM said:
    Given how similar these two pedals sound in the demos I've heard when they use completely different diodes, I would be amazed if the exact type of diode within a particular class makes any difference.

Well there's the thing with the Klon isn't it? - You start to crank the gain and it starts to sound shit.  Or to rephrase that - You start to crank the gain and the diodes come in to play and it starts to sound shit.

The Soul Food diode look like (and going by EH's standard) 1N4148  (1N914). I would however safely bet that if you took a regular genuine Klon user, removed the pedal from their board and switched out the germanium diodes out for 1N4148s, then put it back they would never notice as so few people use enough gain on the Klon to get into the territory where the diodes are having any large effect on the sound.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    I thought the soul food sounded alright as a standalone od. I know it has the rep (the klon i mean) of sounding terrible as an overdrive, but yeah. Maybe my ears are terrible :)) I guess it could sound a bit harsh but you can also tweak the treble control to (sort of, at least) compensate.
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 399
    jpfamps said:geranium

ICBM said:geraniums.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How would it sound without the diodes?
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    You'd still get some op-amp clipping, so likely nasty (if like me, you're not particularly keen on op-amp clipping).
  • If thats the case them i'll go with on/off/on switching.