swapping handles on the amp head

So I recently bought an old Marshall amp head...but the handle always sticks out rather than sitting flush against the surface.

logistically, and because of a 2 year running around the house, I put my pedalboard onto of the head, which has worked fine as all the other amps had handles that sat flush, with this one, the pedalboard balance on top, but is very shaky.

wondering if this is something that easy to change? do amp techs do this kind thing? I have not tools and would prefer to get someone professional do it on this particular amp.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Sounds like it's the wrong handle or has got bent - Marshall handles should sit flat. (Except for the leather ones on things like the acoustic amps.)

Which type is it, metal or plastic ends? They're both easy to change when you know how, but nearly impossible - at least without causing damage - if you don't!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thanks @ICBM...its got metal ends. 

i don't want to cause damage...so maybe i need to get someone else to do it for me!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    If it's metal ends, what's most likely happened is that the end parts of the 'handle' section have slid apart along the metal strap, so they then won't go back far enough into the covers. This can be fixed, although it's fairly tricky if you haven't done one before. I'll describe it so you can see if it's something you could attempt!

First you need to get the metal ends off. They're held by a snap clip under the outer end - you need to get something like a flat knife blade under them and prise them off. (The clip is right in the centre of the end, you should be able to see a little dimple if you look closely.)

Then there are two screws - the outer one is a woodscrew and is often stripped in the wood so it turns without coming out, the inner is a bolt and is sometimes rusted solid!

Once you've done that at both ends you can get the handle off. You will find that each 'end' is a folded metal cover which wraps tightly around the metal strap and loosely around the plastic handle. If you're lucky, you can slide them by hand, although it's unlikely if the strap is not lying flat. If not, you'll have to carefully prise open the tabs a little - again using a flat knife blade - until you can get them to move. I usually pull them by using a screwdriver shaft through the slot so you don't slice your hands on the metal strap - it's sharp. Once you've got them as far inwards as possible, tighten them down either by squeezing the folds with a pair of Mole grips or by hammering them against a hard surface. I tighten the ones on the plastic handle as much as possible too, although they don't go very tight.

Reassemble, but don't snap the covers on until you're absolutely sure everything is OK! I also like to tighten the snap slightly by bending the metal inwards slightly, otherwise they can fall off.

If all that sounds way too hard or needs tools you don't have, find someone to do it for you. Sadly I'm not nearby! It's only a few minutes' work if you've done a lot of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Got any pics of the handle.
  • It's clearly the wrong amp for you.

How about I take it off your hands, save you stressing over the handle?

Or refer to ICBM's post...
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited October 2014
    ThePrettyDamned;374222" said:
    It's clearly the wrong amp for you.

How about I take it off your hands, save you stressing over the handle?

Or refer to ICBM's post...
    Yeah i was thinking i should sell it...the handle just has bad feng shui...

But seriously...im gonna look into it, per ICBM's suggestion. In the long run though im going yo get it re-cabbed. Im thinking some nice grainy would with stained darkish brown stained cab with gold corners and gold handles (like the new laney handles) it will be blingy...but fuck it...its a superbass!