Which Masking Tape?

Went to the local DIY place to get some masking tape, and came away bemused at the choices. Seems to range from cheap stuff, usually beige, to stuff costing 6 quid a roll, usually blue.

It would be used for things like marking on bare wood, and on oiled finishes (rosewood boards with boiled linseed oil, and Tru-Oil body/neck/board finishes).

What should I get?

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Scotch tape is decent it is tacky enough to stick but not tacky enough to rip up any finish or leave any residue
    plus its cheap
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    It's a shame it isn't duct tape you need- this is the king. The mighty One Direction sig edition

http://www.tapebrothers.com/One-Direction-Duck-brand-Duct-Tape-1-88x10y-p/stdtp-281972.htm

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• In decorating, the beige stuff has the highest tack and will leave a residue or strip your paint after 12-24hrs, the blue you can leave a few days, the green expands a little and is the supposedly the best and will never usually strip emulsion.  However brands vary wildly.  I found the cheap beige stuff at Screwfix ok for 24 hours, provided you go over it with a flat edge like a razorblade first.  Do have some good blue stuff too, but don't know where that came from.

Whatever you use, make sure you go over the edge line to make sure it is fully stuck.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    ^^^

That.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2348
    tFB Trader
    I use masking type from Screwfix its low tack so dose not stick very well to wood so it dose not leave any residue. I use it for masking fingerboards when fretting also for holding banding in place. It's also good for putting on guitar bodies for marking out.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    After having had a nightmare with cheap masking tape, I decided that life was too short and I just use the Scotch blue now (bare wood, oiled wood, painted wood, everything).

(OK, I left it on too long, and in the sunshine. The glue went hard and brittle and couldn't be dissolved by anything I could find, so it had to be scraped off painfully slowly).

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

3M blue tape #3434, painter's masking tape. Comes in various widths.

The beige DIY tapes, I wouldn't use them, but if (when) they go hard and don't want to come off, waft a hairdryer at them - softens them up and they'll come off with no drama.

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Thanks all. I ended up getting some blue stuff made by Duck. Apparently, it's good for 14 days.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I just bought a roll of the blue 3M stuff, in 2-inch width. Cost about £4.70 from the auto paint place in King's Lynn.