Anyone bought any of the Thomann T-Rex pedals?

monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
in FX tFB Trader
They seem like mad value currently being blown out at £60 a shot which is very cheap for a T-Rex pedal. 

Twin Channel Distortion, Tap Tempo Delay, Reverb, and Boost/Drive. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    hmm intresting stuff, would like to see what circuits they are using... the delay could be a steal
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    edited September 2014
    Aw come on, I just bought a bunch of the Hardwires. :))

I'd be interested to see what the circuits are, too. I'm guessing the drive is a ts-alike (maybe along the lines of the voodoo lab sparkle drive since it has a clean blend) with a clean boost added. Wonder what the distortion is- would be nice to have two independent distortions in the one (smallish) box.

Of course, the big problem, as with any 2-in-1 pedal, is that you don't get to choose exactly what those two pedals are, as you do with separate pedals. Plus if the wrong bit breaks, you've lost two pedals rather than one.

But that being said, £60-£70 sounds pretty decent if they are nice pedals.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited September 2014
    I was really hoping this would put the Tremonti phaser in my reach...

Sadly not.

T rex are well thought of, I've used the Tremonti phaser, wah and also the spin doctor (lol its hilarious to watch!). They were all excellent.

Fwiw, the phaser did break - it wasn't mine, but a friend's and regularly gigged. He is massive and stamped his pedals hard, and the switch went.

But it's a mechanical switch so...
  • Dave_Mc said:
    Aw come on, I just bought a bunch of the Hardwires. :))

I'd be interested to see what the circuits are, too. I'm guessing the drive is a ts-alike (maybe along the lines of the voodoo lab sparkle drive since it has a clean blend) with a clean boost added. Wonder what the distortion is- would be nice to have two independent distortions in the one (smallish) box.

Of course, the big problem, as with any 2-in-1 pedal, is that you don't get to choose exactly what those two pedals are, as you do with separate pedals. Plus if the wrong bit breaks, you've lost two pedals rather than one.

But that being said, £60-£70 sounds pretty decent if they are nice pedals.
    How many pedals does that make it in your collection now Dave?  :)
    edited September 2014
    I have no idea :))

To be fair, most of them are pretty cheap. I don't really do the boutique thing. I just basically bought a bunch of the "classic" circuits (mainly cheapo clones of them) to see what I liked. :))

Also been looking up the youtube vids and freestompboxes. According to freestompboxes, the Guitar Centre Exclusive Yellow drive (which looks suspiciously like the thomann dual drive) is basically two rats (or at least modded rats). http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21691&p=242792&hilit=t+rex#p242787 Looks like you can't stack them either.

I'm guessing the overdrive is a tubescreamer/sparkle drive type thing combined with a clean boost.

Could be wrong.

I don't really want them any more, so at least that's something. :))
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    The distortion is just two preset levels, I don't think it's two circuits.
    edited September 2014
    I suppose that's a possibility. Might explain why it's cheaper than the mudhoney II. EDIT: It would also explain why you can't stack them.

Then again that link I posted suggested otherwise. I dunno. End result doesn't really matter, I suppose. Unless I get more info I'm going to assume it's either two (modded) rats (with slightly different values in each), or one rat with two settings like you said. :D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    The more I look at the Ego the more it looks like a Moller without the bass boost. 

Bargain if so.

I suspect the Dual Drive is a single channel Mudhoney.  EDIT: Actually scratch that it's apparently changes between an OD and a distortion.
    edited September 2014
    those mods between the two "rats" in it could easily (i think) change it between an od and a distortion, if they just limit the gain etc.

i'm still sticking with thinking it's either two (modded) rats, or one (modded) rat with two independent sets of controls.

EDIT: agreed about the møller. i haven't tried it (i don't think anyway) but i'm guessing it's decent at least. the alberta i tried was pretty nice (though also pretty obviously a glorified tubescreamer).

• The distortion is just two preset levels, I don't think it's two circuits.
    Yeah, I've got the Tc vintage dual distortion which is a clone of the original Trex dr swamp, which is probably what this pedal is based on. It's two presets that can't stack, but it is a lovely pedal.