Recommend me an old 60's/70's solid body

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
I love old guitars, particularly Gibson Les Paul Juniors and Melody Makers. But that's a lot of money to put down on a guitar that I want for a bit of fun that I won't mind dragging around to gigs, rehearsals and jams. Maybe even do a few mods and tweaks without fear of tarnishing it's original condition.

So I was wondering if there are any other gems out there from that period. Solid mahogany body, set neck, P90s, well built and feels good to play.

Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The obvious suggestion would be something like an Epiphone Coronet - though one won't exactly be a 'bargain' - it's still a 'vintage' guitar. But should be less than an equivalent Gibson (though perhaps not a Melody Maker).

Clearly - any non-reversible mods would be a no-no - unless you find one that's already been heavily butchered.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

If you can find one, a 'Guild Thunderbird'.

Mental shape, very 60's and you probably won't ever meet someone else with one.

How expensive is up for debate. They are old but were never revered as classics so you might find one at a reasonable (ish) price.

http://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/871-guild-thunderbird-s-200-1966-sunburst

• GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Sean Connery in Goldfinger.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited September 2014

Duppy03 - Assuming you can find one with that spec I suspect any decent guitar of that era is going to come with a fairly hefty price tag and so is unlikely to be a guitar that you'd want to risk gigging - what's your budget?  

I realise this isn't as old as you'd like, but I found something on Ebay that might suit.  It looks very nice (& vintagy), meets your spec of set neck with P90's, and is a good price such that you'd be happy to gig/experiment with it as well as being in the 'Gibson' solid-body design spirit .  It's a Hohner LP Professional L90 Custom gold-top with wood grain back.  These Hohners seem to be very well made, great sounding, well thought of and quite collectible (read the discussion link in the ad). 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hohner-Professional-L90-Les-Paul-Electric-Guitar-Gold-Top-P90s-/261574254081?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3ce70a5e01

Buy it now price is £349, offers invited, and 3 days to go. Being sold by a store, so if you are interested might be worth giving them a call and having a chat. 

Rich

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Westburys are a fantastic 70s original design, came either dimarzio pickups and decent hardware, you can get the quite cheap but they are made really well.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ^ This is true
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2014
    Later 60s SG Junior.

Bit uglier than the early ones, so less desirable but probably still good.

That's a 1969 one. Never played one... my dad used to have a '62 which was ace, but I assume this is a different kettle of fish.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Your best bet is a 70s Guild.

Guild where one of the few US manufacturers whose quality didn't nosedive in the 70s.

The S100 is a great guitar, although now getting harder to find and more expensive.

If you don't mind a single pickup guitar then the S50 is much cheaper, although still quite hard to find.

Lee Brilleaux used an S50 for slide guitar.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited September 2014

Another solidbody to look out for if you can find a 70's one is the Hagstrom Swede range including super/ultra models.

Correction - sorry, only came with h/b not P90's so no good for you.

jpfamps - I thought the S100's only came with humbuckers,and not P90's? 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Great recommendations, cheers guys. I really dig old Guilds, they can be pretty pricey still. I was aiming for the £500 - £600 range.

Having Humbuckers isn't a deal breaker, if I don't get on with then I could always switch them out Humbuckers sized P90's.

I've got an old Harmony Rocket that is a fun guitar. Did they do anything solid body? I get confused by the whole Tiesco, Kaye thing.
  • Harmony made the Bobkat (single pickup) and Silhouette (Jazzmaster-ish). You also see them around badged as Silvertone, Airline etc. Think they're all bolt neck though, and came with 'gold foil' style pickups like your Rocket not humbuckers/P90s. 
  • Gordon Smith. Ticks every box there Shirley?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Don't call him Shirley!

:))
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Yeah - What Bucket said. A late sixties SG junior. Maybe with a headstock repair. And then mod it in any you wish.
    My '69 Special (exactly the same + a neck pickup) had a huge neck. Seriously. And of course.....a narrow nut. So there is that to adjust to.
    It's still gonna be expensive.

• usedtobe said:
    Don't call him Shirley!

:))

with so few women on this forum everyone has to take a turn.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I really should have read the T's and C's, when I joined..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I know i've gone slightly off topic as I said I like old guitars, but it looks the part. Wish I could find one:

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited September 2014
    It's a toughie. There are few guitars from the ’60s/’70s with P90s that aren't Gibsons, by definition.

An Antoria LP Jr copy would be one exception... but I haven't seen one for yonks. 

Personally I'd go for the suggested Melody Maker/Coronet carcass, refin, neck break, all the supposed horrors, and then go mad modding...

But if you're prepared to think modern (what IS that above?) then there's also this... only 400 notes...

• Could just save and get a nice 60s junior? There's a lot about for not too silly money. It would be unlikely to go down in price and would also serve the purpose of being awesome.
    Would love a 60's Junior, but surely i'm looking at £3000 up for one of them? Would love a Double Cut.