Fender CS Rory Gallagher opinions

What's Hot
Got the chance to buy one of these, will mean putting my 61 Relic CS in part ex.

What are your opinions on the Rory sig - the only thing stopping me is the finish...not so much the lack of it, but the almost "decal-like" finish of the bits of paint left on it..

Have yet to play it side with my current CS....

Not much of a difference, or would the RG be the better guitar..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I doubt it would be any better than any CS Relic. I saw Aziz Ibrahim play one in a local shop a few years ago and it sounded fantastic - but he's a great player, so I wouldn't consider that an endorsement.

The trouble with all these 'Tribute' guitars for me, is whether you want to associate yourself with a particular artist so closely.

I would have loved an EC Blackie Tribute - though way beyond me financially - though I know if I had one, all I would ever do with it is play endless EC licks. To an extent, I already do that with the 335 in my avatar.

A collector would probably only want one with 'no added wear' from actually using it...
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    edited September 2014
    In spite of my comments elsewhere about "overcooked" relics I actually really like these and (having tried a couple over the last few years) they're lovely to play. If I was brave enough to take a piece of fine steel wool to a guitar which cost that amount I think I'd take a bit of gloss off the (remaining) paint, otherwise I think it needs a year or two of hard use to take the shine off and make it look a bit more natural.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • A collector would probably only want one with 'no added wear' from actually using it...
    Fair comment.
    I'm sure there are a number of collectors who want the correct wear, not just any wear.
    There's a large range of CS Relics and Masterbuilts for those wanting general wear.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2426
    One I played happened to be the nicest strat I've ever played, but that was probably coincidence.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    edited September 2014
    Whoops

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Although I love the tatty relic look, my recollection was that they are not that close looking to the original if you compare pix side by side. Makes it look like a production run finish. Someone on the old MR forum posted a custom Rory guitar made in Norway I think (?? One of those Scandinavian countries!) and it looked far superior, much more like a real worn in guitar. Having seen it my interest in the Rory CS diminished massively. My other problem with artist guitars in general is that it doesn't look so good if you don't play as well as the original artist, and I never do!
  • I really like them, the ones I've tried have been great guitars. Not a Rory fan, nor do I particularly like the finish but still...great guitars.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22718
    I love relics but I think the Rory models look a bit... bogus.  It can't be easy to replicate specific wear/bare patches and as you say the remaining paint looks like decals.

That said, I've seen a couple up close but never played one.  I bet they're great to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Get it! Then definitely do a ngd thread with video!
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited September 2014
    I've seen Rory's guitar and the first-ever CS RG reissue side by side. IMO, some things you can't replicate. Rory's is so soaked and stained and polished, it's like a pebble. I've seen stripped 60s Strats that have the same vibe and never, ever a relic that comes close...

A tribute with too close associations for me, but the CS's are damn well made guitars...
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm not a strat guy, but I'm a Rory fan, from way back. I don't think I'd want to go down the replica route, personally, though.. It just feels 'a bit much'.. I'd start with the nearest spec guitar, (relic, if you prefer) and let the wear evolve naturally from there on in.. 

I do wonder what Rory would have made of it all...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

The thing that's always fascinated me - every picture of Rory with that Strat, no matter how long ago, it looks almost as fucked as it does now (or when he died).  And yet it's not even a decade old in some of those pictures!

The man had acid for sweat.

• Philly_Q said:

Wasn't it stolen once and left in a ditch for a while?
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Philly_Q said:

The thing that's always fascinated me - every picture of Rory with that Strat, no matter how long ago, it looks almost as fucked as it does now (or when he died).  And yet it's not even a decade old in some of those pictures!

Well documented so he may as well have. Storming player that man. Not keen on the finish (and i like a relic I do) on the guitars tho as they look a bit like decals to me.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."

Apparently so.  And he had a story that when he sent it to Fender for repair (and a possible refinish?) they told him it was as if the wood had been floating in the sea!

Mind you, I also saw a story where he said Fender had told him it was a maple body.  Which can't be right, surely?

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769

I love the authenticity of Rory's guitar - it's a well and truely 'gigged' guitar and a thing of beauty. But IMO the CS replica just doesn't cut it - you can tell it's been made to look like that in a factory rather than on tour. (opinion based on online photos rather than seeing/playing one in the flesh).

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I played one and it was an ok guitar, but the relicing just looked and felt ridiculous.

Just a moment ago I was looking at the Peach website. 

They have the Michael Landau '68 Strat in both black and sunburst, and I noticed that all the dings, scratches and patches of bare wood are near-as-dammit identical on both.  I wonder how they do that?  I suspect up close it must look too "careful" to be convincing.

• Sorry to hijack the thread chaps, but if it's the 'relic' look your after? I have an 'SRV" fully loaded body for sale in the classifieds at the mo' not the hugely battered #1 look , already have that one :) but more akin to the Ltd run' customshop model.