Value of a guitar only you like

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
edited September 2014 in Guitar
Musing on the if I won the lottery question and decided that I would have to get one of these http://www.didonatoguitars.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=201&lang=en

Now I'm fairly sure I would be  the only bloke in England who would consider it and buy one for the megabucks it would cost. The quandry is what would it be worth in the real world and if needs be could I ever find a buyer to pay anywhere near what I paid for it or even an insurance company to cover its actual value? 

Its the same sort of question one asks oneself when you commission a custom build but that is usually based on a recognisable model so the cost has some sort of benchmark  readily available    
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That reminds me a little of the Teuffel Birdfish, although it doesn't appeal to me as much as the Teuffel.

Mind you, those slightly more classical lines of the Di Donato are crying out for a steampunk makeover.
  • Probably a bit like a Teufel or Jens Ritter - very much 'guitar as art' by the looks of it.

You may have seen the recent thread regarding the 'value' of a Gustavvson - which is probably more in tune with mainstream tastes.... Even that seemed beyond the grasp of some.

My guess is the answer is probably the same - to the 'right' buyer, it would be absolutely worth it. But not the kind of thing you could off-load in a hurry without taking a pasting....

Looks lovely mind.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    There is at least one other bloke in England who'd consider that... :-)

I really like the Teuffel too, along with (in a simiarlar but even more minimalist vein) the Gittler....
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    I must admit, if money were no object I'd like a Teye La India E series model.
    I think they are beautiful.  The Little Guitar Shop in Brum has some in stock, but £5K+ is too rich for me
    (But not too rich for Rich)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Probably not quite in the same league but I have a bit of a fascination with the Turner Model One.  That is a very particular guitar.
  • My eyes...! :( 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

Oi err wouldn't know 'bout that, sir...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    The fact that nobody is even remotely interested in what it sounds like makes its value as an instrument pretty irrelevant.

I'd probably value it along the lines of something whose function is secondary to its artistic merits, like say, a nice table lamp.

So about £40 basically.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If money is indeed no object, what difference does resale value make? For something like that, or any other niche custom build - furniture, car, watch, guitar - it should fit like a glove *for you.* Stuff everyone else. Besides, if they were hyper overpriced and nobody wanted one, the maker would be out of business. Most archtop jazz players I know are pretty conservative when it's comes to looks, but I'm pretty sure people who own Monteleone's don't say "shit, nobody's gonna buy this 'cos it's blue."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom