It's got a bit of fretwear

What's Hot
SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
in Guitar tFB Trader
I've never seen frets dressed level with the board before

This is a "veneer" board too, so only about 2mm thick. 

I actually managed a pretty decent refret (forgot to take photos though). 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Is this what they call a "fretless wonder"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Oh dear. It's quite impressive in that it actually exists tho! Any back story to it?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Eeek. That's bad...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Gnat's cock?
  • How many years before frets need re-done (or "re-dressed")? I hear it's murder on an ebony fingerboard. 
  • ...bet it plays like butter...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Please tell me that it's not an original '60-64 one?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    ...bet it plays like shit..
    Fixed that for you.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    jd0272 said:
    Oh dear. It's quite impressive in that it actually exists tho! Any back story to it?
    It's a 76/77 Tele and used to belong to one of the guys in The Coral. I was asked to sort it quickly for its current owner as he was heading for the studio.

I don't know of course when the frets got to be like that.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    I think that's the worst fret dress I've ever seen.

Needs a new fingerboard really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    How many years before frets need re-done (or "re-dressed")? I hear it's murder on an ebony fingerboard. 
    ebony refrets just fine.  It tends to chip out a bit more than rosewood or maple but once you know that its easy to prevent it becoming an issue

how long they last - how long is a piece of string?  Or more specifically, how much do you play? how hard do you play? whats your vibrato technique like? where did your fretwire come from? how big is your fretwire? how much has it been leveled down already? do you have acidic sweat? etc....
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668

I actually managed a pretty decent refret (forgot to take photos though). 

how did you go about it?  I have done what i consider major reconstructive surgery on fretboards before, but i would have written that one off and starting to think about re-veneering!
  • @SteveRobinson How on earth did you manage to refret that? Surely it would need a new fingerboard to get anything at all out of it.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    My main concern was that the rosewood would break where the previous expert had gouged channels either side of the frets. Luckily that didn't happen and the frets came out cleanly after a bit of heat had been applied.

I only had a few hours to do the job so didn't have time to do any filling of those gouges. If I'd had another half a day I'd have used wood dust and glue to level them. As it was, I sanded the board using a radius block and was surprised how much of the damage I managed to remove with not that much sanding. The board certainly looked a lot better afterwards although not perfect of course.

There was still a fair amount of rosewood left and the fret slots *just* went into the maple by a few thou.

The new frets were wide and low so that I didn't change the feel too much as the customer liked the feel of the guitar before the refret and wanted it as kept as close as possible. I set the frets in with cyanoacrylate as time was short. A bit of heat next time will break the bond with no problems.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited September 2014
    That's sort of an inverse-scallop I suppose. I quite like the extra fret slots in a demented sort of way.

You should start offering them as a setup option. If they help you write songs like The Coral, I'm booking my guitars in :)