HELP DROPPED LP !!!!!

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1744

Hi everyone, my wonderful singer accidentally knocked my Vintage V100 of it's stand at a gig. There appears to be no damage (thankfully) however after retuning the guitar it appears the intonation has gone off a bit.

Wht do i need to check and do in order to bring it back to full fettle?

I'm also really hoping there's no hidden damage as this guitar holds much more sentimental value than any of my others

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Check the relief in the neck - the truss road will probably need tightening a little.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Hard to say without having a close look at it - which way did it fall? Could it have hit the bridge on anything?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ^
    Why?

I cannot see how an impact would create a need to adjust the truss rod - unless the rod was VERY tight fitting and the nut was already loosened.

If relief is too great, it will affect the intonation and it will need a tweak - but this and the knock are likely to be completely unconnected.

• ^
    Why?

I cannot see how an impact would create a need to adjust the truss rod - unless the rod was VERY tight fitting and the nut was already loosened.

If relief is too great, it will affect the intonation and it will need a tweak - but this and the knock are likely to be completely unconnected.

It's happened a few times with guitars of my acquaintance that have taken a fall or sharp knock of some kind. Most times in the direction of increasing the relief. Some guitars are more stable than others, of course.

I had exactly this scenario happen with a friend's Gibson Melody Maker (one of the newer versions).
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited September 2014
    steamabacus;359881" said:
    It's happened a few times with guitars of my acquaintance that have taken a fall or sharp knock of some kind. Most times in the direction of increasing the relief. Some guitars are more stable than others, of course.

I had exactly this scenario happen with a friend's Gibson Melody Maker (one of the newer versions).
    But stability (or lack of) is usually revealed by seasonal changes.

Unless the rod is already loose - but binding in its channel, a sudden impact should make no difference.

Has there been a noticeable change in action?

If not, my guess is that ICBM is right - the bridge has taken a knock and the posts have bent.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Usual helpful responses from RH, 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ^
    Why?

I've had a similar experience when I dropped a guitar onto a concrete floor ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1744
    Ok just checked it over and tweaked the intonation
    All seems ok except for a damaged volume knob

It landed face down - wasn't impressed.
    Sorry to hear that, horrible when it happens, it did to my old USA Jackson, I went to the shops, and my son decided he wanted to try and play it, dropped it off the stand and split the neck! Gutted! In fact just double check the length of the neck for splits, as the one on mine was hair line and took a couple of hours to notice as it was not keeping in tune,
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubble said:
    It landed face down - wasn't impressed.
    Ouch!

X_X
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    I had a chap once bring me a Les Paul for a new nut, because the old one had a bit missing. When he told me it had happened because the guitar had been knocked onto its front I said he was lucky it hadn't broken the neck - just as my fingers felt the break !

Fortunately it glued up ok and as far as I'm aware he's still gigging it :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • mrchi;359925" said:
    Usual helpful responses from RH, 
    Not sure what the problem is you have - all I was saying was cranking the truss rod would not be my first port of call when you've dropped a guitar.

The impact will not alter the setting of the rod - unless it is binding in the channel it sits in and the nut is already loosened - in other words, the only thing holding the rod under tension is friction.

The only time a truss rod needs tightening, is if there is too much relief. So the correct way to diagnose whether it's needed is to check the relief.

I'm not really sure in what way this is unhelpful.... In the absense of Facepalms, I have awarded you a 'Wow'.
    edited September 2014
    Because Richard, you question people in a way which makes you sound like the be all and end all of guitars and it does get a little tiring.
    All you have to do is be a little more pleasant in your posts, their have been numerous times you have come across as "I know better" and it wears a little thin.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1744
    I'm happy with everyone's comments and feedback
    Thank you guys not only for the advice but also sharing my pain
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    mrchi said:
    you have come across as "I know better" and it wears a little thin.
    That's the problem with the internet ... 

Us humans are wired to communicate face to face, where we can absorb all aspects of the message - not just the words said, but the intonation, the facial gestures, body language, etc, etc - and understand how the words were intended.  When we take away that all that other information and just read the words, there's always the danger that we'll fill in the gaps ourselves and interpret, and misinterpret them.

I'm sure I've read a great comedic example of how this works, but I can't remember it right now.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @TTony totally agree, and its one of the more frustrating parts of the forum/interweb, I do find a well placed emoji works wonders to portray an emotion if needed :-D but it's not an ideal way
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited September 2014
    mrchi said:
    @TTony totally agree, and its one of the more frustrating parts of the forum/interweb, I do find a well placed emoji works wonders to portray an emotion if needed :-D but it's not an ideal way
    Worked wonders for Kevin Spacey's performance in Moon.

;)
  • steamabacus;359987" said:
    mrchi said:

Worked wonders for Kevin Spacey's performance in Moon.

;)
    One of my favourite films.