Microphone for Rock singing - well I call it singing! :)

What's Hot
I searched here already to see what Mics people use and didn't really find many posts so I'm asking.

I'm a guitarist really but my current band doesn't really have a singer, so we each have a go.

I've got what I would call an enthusiastic voice. I'm not always bang on key but it's always got passion!

The rehearsal rooms we hire have a variety and I've been using a Sennheister microphone. I'm quite pleased and thinking of buying one for myself rather than keep using theirs (who know what diseases people have how use this mic before me!!)

So, what are people using themselves? Shure mics? Or do others use the Sennheister and are happy with it.

Cheers
Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    SM58

The classic
  • For live, stick with something simple like an SM58, can take a lot of abuse ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally I prefer the middle of the Sennheiser E-series (had an 835 and currently using an 840, very happy with both) to an SM58; they tend to be cheaper too ;) look out for fakes if you're not buying from a dealer though. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038

So, what are people using themselves?
    Shure Beta 58A -- very similar to the SM58, slightly tighter pattern, so possibly less prone to feedback.  Same tank-like build.  And I liked it and got one for the entirely shallow reason that I thought I sounded better with it. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited September 2014
    Each singer will have a different list of microphones that work with their voice, and there's no way to know without trying a bunch. For live, I'd get whatever is in your budget that looks good. Shure and Sennheiser are both quality companies, though Sennheiser seem to have more cheap mics in their line. Personally, I've been happy with my SM58.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited September 2014
    You should definitely go and try a few.

I've recently taken over the singing duties in our little ensemble and so invested in a microphone.  Not knowing much about mics I went and tried a few and was amazed at the difference.  With my quite high voice the de-facto SM58 sounded very shrill and I'd have been very disappointed with it if I'd bought it blind.  In the end I went for the Sennheiser E835 which suits my voice much better.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I generally prefer the Senn stuff over a 58. If you look for something with a supercardioid or hypercardioid pickup pattern you'll get better feedback rejection on small stages. If you're on a budget the AKG D5 is a good performer for the price too, worth trying out if you're testing a few.
  • I tried a few out in a shop and the AKG D5 definitely had a good sound - better for me than SM58 and Sennheiser but then again my voice is nasty disaster of a sound so anything that makes it sound slightly better may not work for someone with a naturally nice tone.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

I prefer the Senn 9 series or cheaper 8 series

Your lead mic is also your drum overhead mic in a small setup as generally the singer stands 2 foot in front of the drums so you generally pick up a LOT of drums, specially cymbals in the mic but more so with a 58 than a Senn in my expeirence

Plus the drum spill doesn't sound as trashy through a Senn, the 58 makes a horrible mic as a drum overhead

Beta 58 is better at rejecting spill but I still prefer the Senn's
    You can EQ any dynamic mic but you can't change the pattern .... so always think about the unwanted stuff the mic will pick up as well as how it will sound with the wanted stuff. For this reason the 57 isn't the best live mic for a guitar either on a small stage despite being great in the studio

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks everyone. Excellent feedback as always.
  • Just bumping this for more advice as I've been doing some research!

I was about to buy a Sennheiser e835 when I noticed the next model up. The Sennheiser e845.

The only difference I could see is the e835 has a Cardioid Polar Pattern whilst the e845 has a Hypercardioid Polar pattern.

From what I can read, the Cardioid will reject the noise coming from it at the back of the microphone whereas the hyper has a narrower front end but seems to have some leakage from back of microphone.

My question is this. I want to avoid feedback (who doesn't). I tend to play with my guitar amp behind me and occasionally I get feedback using the e835. Also in rehearsal we tend to stand in a circle facing inwards.

Anyone offer any advice on which Cardioid pattern to go for when used in a live band situation with potentially lots of noise going on around the mic?

Or am I just getting too nerdy and should just go buy something!!!

Many thanks
    Mike
    the 845 is better at rejecting drums but if you could stretch to it check out the 945 that is an awesome vocal mic in every sense
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Just bumping this for more advice as I've been doing some research!

I was about to buy a Sennheiser e835 when I noticed the next model up. The Sennheiser e845.

Being pedantic, there's the E840 in between too; that's cardioid as well though, and personally I slightly prefer my own voice through the 835 than the 840, YMMV, IMHO etc etc etc.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Prefer a Senn E8xx to an SM85 too, Sennheisers seem to be less prone to feedback.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Really both pickup patterns have their uses, it's hard to say which one is better in a general sense.

Cardioid, to avoid feedback the ideal placement is pointing directly away from monitors. hyper-cardioid, you point the rear of the mic a bit away from monitors to get most gain before feedback.

If you think about a typical gig setup where there's a boom stand in front of a floor wedge, hypercardioid is a bit more practical for that purpose as the mic doesn't have to be at a steep angle for maximum rejection.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Just bumping this for more advice as I've been doing some research!

The only difference I could see is the e835 has a Cardioid Polar Pattern whilst the e845 has a Hypercardioid Polar pattern.

From what I can read, the Cardioid will reject the noise coming from it at the back of the microphone whereas the hyper has a narrower front end but seems to have some leakage from back of microphone.

My question is this. I want to avoid feedback (who doesn't). I tend to play with my guitar amp behind me and occasionally I get feedback using the e835. Also in rehearsal we tend to stand in a circle facing inwards.

Anyone offer any advice on which Cardioid pattern to go for when used in a live band situation with potentially lots of noise going on around the mic?

Or am I just getting too nerdy and should just go buy something!!!

Many thanks
    Mike
    Two things to consider.

1) Are you a kiss the grill type of singer? if you are then the directional control a hypercardoid gives you is a blessing, if your mouth wanders somewhere in the vicinity of the mic they they seem like hell as you go in and out of the hot spot. Compression can help but you are then inviting other potential problems.

2) In respect of the lobe or hot pickup area to the rear of the mic, it is in a straight line through the centre of the mic. So don't point the mic cable end down toward the monitor or in rehearsal at the speaker on a stick. Having the mic level (parallel to the stage) and the wedge monitor down at foot level and in front of you will be fine and have better than a typical cardoid for feedback rejection.

hth.
  • Thanks. Great help. I also got a great answer over on a soundforum which is for recording, etc. (it's here: https://soundforums.net/)

Basically I think for me, it's the cardioid rather than the hyper.

Cheers
    Mike!

• Danny1969 said:
    the 845 is better at rejecting drums but if you could stretch to it check out the 945 that is an awesome vocal mic in every sense
    Oh dear. Just looked at the 945. Now my budget is getting stretched :)

Thing is I'm not a natural singer so spending a lot seems a bit indugent but I suppose anything that helps is going to be worth it.
    Danny1969 said:
    Oh dear. Just looked at the 945. Now my budget is getting stretched :)

Thing is I'm not a natural singer so spending a lot seems a bit indugent but I suppose anything that helps is going to be worth it.
    Meh  I'm a rubbish singer myself but I have a 945 anyway :) Think of it as a duel purpose mic as it good enough for recording as well as live ....  so cheaper than buying a 58 and a NT1 .........your actually saving money like a wise man !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • The SM58 is a classic and pretty much the standard of microphones. 

There is a cheaper shure PG58 which works fine as well.

I have one of these

The noise cancellation on it is brilliant, you dont get any bleed from it at all. It also has a second capsule for instrument mic'ing too. 
    Very good if you play in a loud room 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.