Steinberger Copies?

gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
edited September 2014 in Guitar

Anyone ever played/own one?

Someone on another forum has got one recently for cheaps, and it's got me thinking it could be just the right level of cool for the band.

Good times, bad times? Anyone have one they want to shift (cheaper the better).

Sorry, should say it's the 6 string version I'm talking about.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Is it the HOHNER copy by any chance?
  • You can get a Steinberger spirit quite cheap.  Better than the 80's hohners, but a bit cramped on the fretboard for sausage fingers.  I have a Steinberger for 20 years.  Pretty good guitar.  I had the Spirit too, but had to upgrade the pups.  Was a decent travel guitar. 
  • @mrchi That's one of. Think there's another brand (Skylark?) probably even further Eastern.

Have you played/owned one?

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I had the Hohner Jack guitar, the licensed bridge was brilliant, but the pickups let it down, and the fact I had to buy double ball end strings :( and that needs to be a consideration these days as their harder to get hold of :)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I've got a Steinberger and had a Honer G3T a few years back. The Steinberger is slightly better but the pickups are a bit bland ;)

I got it second hand with a shed load of strings but it is possible to get adapters for "hitler" type strings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinberger-String-Adapter-Headless-Hohner-Cort-Bass-or-Guitar-Made-in-USA-/321531810972?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4adcca149c

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22731

I had one of the Spirit by Steinberger models.

It had a really good fat neck but a couple of the frets were loose (on a brand new guitar).  I didn't mind having to get double ball end strings but the tuners were an absolute pig to use, really stiff and uncomfortable on the fingers.  Never tried a "real" Steinberger so I don't know how much better the bridges on those may be.

• I had a Starfire headless bass here a week or so ago.

Cheap and showed it.
  • Luckily I am able to blot out all the negatives of owning a novelty guitar :)

I think I shall keep an eye out.

But as a rule, Spirit better than Hohner?

• I played one of the Hohner Jack guitars and basses back in the 90s. The major one I remember was playing below the G on the E string, as I'd mentally add in a headstock.

But otherwise meh.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited September 2014

I got a spirit from a chap on this forum earlier in the year. He had upgraded the pups which I suspect makes quite a bit of difference. Plays good and makes a great travel guitar.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 583
    edited September 2014
    Cough, Carvin, cough.

I've had a proper steinberger gm with an s trem ( didn't like it, sold within a week), a couple of r trem'd cricket bat honners ( they were ok ) .

I've eyed up the skylarks, too. But never had a go on one. They come in kits , too.