Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

World Guitars- yay or nay?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30875
Does anyone else find this company cringeworthy? The twice I've called them I've found them very up their own jacksie.... Coupled with Jeff's self promotion in ads I really went away with a feeling of 'avoid at all costs.." Am I wrong about this?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6121
    tFB Trader
    I've bought several guitars and an amp from jeff and smithy, they are fantastic to deal with. Ultimately they sell high end guitars, consequently some people look down on that in a reverse snobbery kind of fashion. My personal experience is that they have been great to deal with, fair with part exchanges and tell even make you a cup of tea!!. They let you get on with the playing of a guitar without being annoying and to top it all they are both great blokes. 

World Guitars is my go-to place for PRS and when i can afford a new acoustic (Taylor hopefully) i'll be going there again. 

Maybe the ads don't appeal but scratch beneath the surface and I'm sure you'll love buying from them. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30875
    Hmmmmm ok- I'll take that in spirit offered....I only do high end so no worries there

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've bought stuff from Jeff when he had machinehead music. Great guy who will go out of his way to make you feel comfortable if he knows you're very interested in buying. He even let me have a go on his 59 strat once after hearing me play, great memory.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know what you mean about the ads, but I know if I wanted a high end guitar like that, its where Id go.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited September 2014
    Geoff looks a bit Downs Syndrome in the 'Blast from the Past'  print Ad with Paula Reed Smith!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Geoff looks a bit Downs Syndrome in the 'Blast from the Past'  print Ad with Paula Reed Smith!

He look as if he dropped a shit load of Class As the night before, and I don't mean Vox AC30s

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    It's been 50/50 when I've dealt with them. I got a good deal and good service when I bought an amp off them not long after they opened then I went in looking for a Matchless or D13 and they couldn't have been less interested. Perhaps they were having a bad day, we all have them, but I've not felt the urge to go back there yet.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I've bought 2 masterbuilt fenders over the last 4 years from Jeff (one secondhand one that they got in) and one new one that I ordered through them.

I can't fault Jeff's service, he replies to emails even out of hours, and doesn't seem like he wants to get you off the phone when you ring.

Maybe it's because of the cash I was spending, but I can only speak as I find, and I will definitely be going back there for my next purchase
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Jeff's a bit 'marmite', but a real character. I live near the old Machinehead shop so I used to drop in a lot when Jeff ran it. I found him pretty uncomfortable at first as I'm the quiet, retiring type in a guitar shop, but I warmed to him as time went on.

He did a better job of running the shop than those who came after, and I missed him after he went!

World guitars - very expensive!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Those pictures and the cringeworthy copy are somewhat offputting. Hand selected then set up to perfection... I bet someone had to stop him putting to play like butter at the end of that line.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's the photo book option that makes me cringe the most.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    It's the photo book option that makes me cringe the most.
    I dont understand why?  I bought a special PRS to celebrate a life event, I bought the World Guitars collection of digital photos taken of this guitar on a USB stick. My thinking was that id like to have a few prints made to spread around the man cave. Aside from Jonathon at Feline Guitars i don't know anyone who takes as nice a picture of guitars.

For me it was a nice addition to have, i bought the guitar as much for its looks as its playability and sound. The photos just made the whole experience of buying the guitar even more special. On a plus note I've got some great HD images for insurance purposes if i am unlucky enough to need them.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30875
    I'm happy as long as I don't get a grinning Jeff in the pic. He's not really a looker....

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited September 2014
    Yea, it can be a bit twee but have you seen the stock? Jeffs alright but he will know in an instant if you've come to spend money or not ;-)

They're very fair on part ex and will turn an item down rather than insult you if they aren't keen.

They leave you alone to browse and encourage you to play as loud as you like for as long as you like. I've never felt pressured to buy.

I've no problem buying from them.
  • As stated in another thread I got a sneery "why are you wasting my time" attitude to a polite price enquiry by phone.  I wasn't trying to be aggressive it was just a pretty standard "can you do it for a bit less?"

My impression is also that they are expensive.  And I don't like their videos at all.

On the plus side I like that they always show the weight of their guitars, something other retailers would do well to copy.  So many retailers have comprehensive spec lists for guitars that go into minor measurement details but don't tell you the weight.  
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    I'm happy as long as I don't get a grinning Jeff in the pic. He's not really a looker....
    fair enough- he hasn't photobombed any of the pics i have

• It's the photo book option that makes me cringe the most.
    Each to their own.
    They're a lovely record that you can keep to drool over when you're old and grey.
    I'm taking one of mine up for a photo session next week as I've noticed a few paler hairs in my beard.
  • Jeff is a very clever salesman. I went up to WG to look at a PRS Tremonti after having spoken to Jeff to see if they had one in stock. As soon as I walked through the door, there was Alter Bridge playing in the background, the Tremonti was off the wall and in my hands and I was in the demo room. Obviously I had to play some Creed/AB riffs on it to make sure it worked (yeah, because I'm as good as MT... :)) ), Jeff comes in as I'm playing Higher and says "that's the best I've heard anyone play that". At the time I felt flattered and kinda good about my playing, but on mybway home I did realise it was probably a case of "I bet you say that to all the girls". Cups of tea were offered, long chats were had, and I left having put a deposit down on the Tremonti.

As a side note, before I went back to pick up the PRS, Rob Chapman did a Youtube demo of some guitars at WG, including my Tremonti, and I was mentioned as being "a really nice guy" by Rob (I had auditioned for his old band not long before, and it was Rob who gave the heads up about WG). I do realise that this association with Chappers will now result in me being ostracised by 50% of the forum, but hey...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    The ads had the same effect on me, but then a while back I realised he was probably the guy I was talking to when I was in Machinehead a good few years back and he was very friendly and helpful- pretty much what you wanted from a guitar shop or guitar shop owner/salesperson. I suspect thorpy is on the money, in other words.
  • axisus;361534" said:
    Jeff's a bit 'marmite', but a real character. I live near the old Machinehead shop so I used to drop in a lot when Jeff ran it. I found him pretty uncomfortable at first as I'm the quiet, retiring type in a guitar shop, but I warmed to him as time went on.

He did a better job of running the shop than those who came after, and I missed him after he went!

World guitars - very expensive!
    The guys who took over really were terrible. No interest in talking to customers, crop stock and full of the indie types who do nothing but play the expensive guitars badly and bitch about anything. I wasn't surprised when they closed shop but I was a bit sad it did, loved it when Jeff ran it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom