Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

World Guitars- yay or nay?

What's Hot

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited September 2014
    No disrespect intended thorpy6 and JP, It just seems odd to me that anyone would pay an extra 75 quid for some photos of a guitar you actually own. It's the ultimate reinforcement - to me - of the stereotypes about PRS owners, which is probably very unfair :)

However, each to their own - I'm sure they know their market much better than I do.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    In one of his youtube ads, he talks at great length about a PRS only to miss out the two vital details that any player worth their salt would want to know. 1: The neck profile 2: The Fretwire So Im a little cynical tbh. A friend of mine did buy a used Les Paul from him in the 90s at Machinehead & the way he told it at the time was that Gibson had had their day & PRS was the way to go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    Bought my Morse Purple Sunset from World Guitars coule of years back & everything was great & a pleasure to deal with them. Even called me before shipping to check what make/size strings I wanted put on. They also took the best pics of guitars. I still cannot take a pic of my guitar as good as the ones they managed.
    My only regret was, I had to choose between a purple sunset & d-purpleburst....both were stunning..., that I didn't buy both of them !!

• Website and guitars certainly look good!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    No disrespect intended thorpy6 and JP, It just seems odd to me that anyone would pay an extra 75 quid for some photos of a guitar you actually own. It's the ultimate reinforcement - to me - of the stereotypes about PRS owners, which is probably very unfair :)

However, each to their own - I'm sure they know their market much better than I do.

Well, they have a studio and i cannot take pictures like they do despite having a nice camera. They use a camera, lens, lighting that costs thousands to buy so me paying (£35 btw) for a USB stick is good value in comparison. The PRS was a divorce present to myself. A new beginning you might say, the photos mark that.  Ill try not to bite reference the PRS owner thing though, I have several other guitars including a custom built feline SG, and Jon gave me some amazing pictures of that too.

Its funny that PRS get so much flack (I'm not a dentist or lawyer). Its usually because they are seen as very expensive, which comparatively i guess they can be however, My guitar costs half as much as a Gibson R9 59 VOS and nobody gives those owners shit!!  :)

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • World class service, world class guitars, not staffed by condescending spotty adolescents - Just what is there not to like about the place?

It you want some serious high-end tasty stuff then they are about the only place to go, I guess people are happy to travel in for that "special purchase"

I didn't buy the photos with mine (wish I did actually!), but I guess they use it as a little sweetener if your negotiating on the price ;) That said, I did download them off the web-site :)

Yeh, great to deal with, this looks just great on the wall of the surgery :P

http://i.imgur.com/Tsg8JDK.jpg

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Some of you have mentioned negotiating the price...Is it an option at all with them?
    I've been thinking about a guitar they have in stock for a while and I would probably go for it if they could offer it for a little less. I make my money in EUR and now is not the good time to buy from the UK (as if it ever was). Anyway, I am too embarrassed to ask them, but maybe I shouldn't be?
  • Dude - just ask FFS!!!

It's not like I've ever heard of Jeff punching someone in the face for asking for discount  =))

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Jeff is an absolute lovely fella.  Never bought from them yet though. 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Elx said:
    Some of you have mentioned negotiating the price...Is it an option at all with them?
    I've been thinking about a guitar they have in stock for a while and I would probably go for it if they could offer it for a little less. I make my money in EUR and now is not the good time to buy from the UK (as if it ever was). Anyway, I am too embarrassed to ask them, but maybe I shouldn't be?

Look at what It is up for. Look at identical guitars elsewhere. Make an offer. It's no different to walking into a shop with yer iPhone and asking "Will you match that?" while offering said iPhone to manager's eyes.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555
    edited September 2014
    Bought a nice thd cab from them. Jeff is great but will be grumpy if he's hungry! After a sandwich he is a star.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    I'll be the first to say that WG take some great photos, and it lights a fire in me to make my own photography a bit better.
    If I had more time , money and assistance I would even connect the dots and get it all together on my website.
    I'm probbly overdue a look at the WG site to be inspired to take better pics.

Photobooks
    I do take a fair few pics and many of the customers I build for are only too happy to have the pics on a CD or USB stick.
    Some I'm sure will make a coffee table book of the results, something they can show friends without having to take the guitar out with them. Others will use them for forums and facebook etc to share their NGD!

Having a decent camera and studio lighting makes a big difference to he results you can get

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2348
    bazxkr said:
    My only regret was, I had to choose between a purple sunset & d-purpleburst....both were stunning..., that I didn't buy both of them !!

Love those colours
    thorpy6 said:
    Its funny that PRS get so much flack (I'm not a dentist or lawyer). Its usually because they are seen as very expensive, which comparatively i guess they can be however, My guitar costs half as much as a Gibson R9 59 VOS and nobody gives those owners shit!!  :)
    I don't own a PRS but that always annoys me too. It's not what the guitar looks like that affects whether you can afford it or not!
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Best guitar shop I have ever been to. Buying from them is a really pleasurable experience. Nothing is too much trouble for Jeff and as stated above he always responds to emails.

I find Jeff to be honest as they come and he looks after returning customers. No hard sell in sight.
  • Jeff is great, even though he's one of our competitors, I still think he's a legend. Even if he does call me the "C" word, every time I speak to him!
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitars;361939" said:
    I'll be the first to say that WG take some great photos, and it lights a fire in me to make my own photography a bit better.If I had more time , money and assistance I would even connect the dots and get it all together on my website.I'm probbly overdue a look at the WG site to be inspired to take better pics.

PhotobooksI do take a fair few pics and many of the customers I build for are only too happy to have the pics on a CD or USB stick.Some I'm sure will make a coffee table book of the results, something they can show friends without having to take the guitar out with them. Others will use them for forums and facebook etc to share their NGD!

Having a decent camera and studio lighting makes a big difference to he results you can get
    I wouldn't see it as me being really self indulgent, but it's a great way of getting pictures for insurance.

Which if you've dropped 3k on a bit of wood and lacquer, you should do!

A nice background, flash set up and semi decent lens make for a much nicer picture than a compact camera and my sofa.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    FelineGuitars;361939" said:
    I'll be the first to say that WG take some great photos, and it lights a fire in me to make my own photography a bit better.If I had more time , money and assistance I would even connect the dots and get it all together on my website.I'm probbly overdue a look at the WG site to be inspired to take better pics.

PhotobooksI do take a fair few pics and many of the customers I build for are only too happy to have the pics on a CD or USB stick.Some I'm sure will make a coffee table book of the results, something they can show friends without having to take the guitar out with them. Others will use them for forums and facebook etc to share their NGD!

I wouldn't see it as me being really self indulgent, but it's a great way of getting pictures for insurance.

Which if you've dropped 3k on a bit of wood and lacquer, you should do!

A nice background, flash set up and semi decent lens make for a much nicer picture than a compact camera and my sofa.
    It would cost more than £75 to get the gear to take the same pictures that's for sure.  For one thing, you need a off camera flash, even the cheapest flash with the cheapest trigger and receiver will set you back a couple of hundred before you think about any white box or light stands.

Personally I wouldn't buy it because i can do it myself but i can see why one would, they are nice pictures. 
  • Gassage;24175" said:
    Does anyone else find this company cringeworthy?

The twice I've called them I've found them very up their own jacksie.... Coupled with Jeff's self promotion in ads

I really went away with a feeling of 'avoid at all costs.."

Am I wrong about this?
    I don't think you're wrong, in my experience. I think that if you run a guitar shop you should be reasonably polite to everyone, not just to those who you think are going to drop £3k on a PRS. And those ads are deeply cringeworthy IMO.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    edited September 2014
    Oops, accidental double post...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • World guitars is actually my most local guitar shop and I can identify with a lot of what has been said here. When I first went it was a great experience, stunning stock of guitars and without me really asking jeff put me in the demo room and was giving me guitars left right and centre with absolutely no hard sell. The last time I went in there was the first time I actually bought something and was probably the least satisfying experience with them. Jeff was occupied trying to find and fix a fault with a customers amp so was shouting a being grumpy. This may have put a first time customer off but having been in there a few times I knew to think nothing of it. I tried a few les pauls and bought a second hand one I had specifically gone to look at. Maybe it was because I was buying a second hand guitar they had in but I kind of felt treated as if I was spending £150 not £1500. Also when I came out of the demo room I overheard jeff tell smithy to 'give that les Paul a wipe over before you put it back on the rack' before even seeing if I had any thoughts on it (I actually bought it). The whole set up to perfection thing on their ads bugs me too as just before I played the les Paul jeff quickly eye balled the neck relief and told smithy to 'put a little on the rod'. When I got the guitar home I had to give it a full gong over the get the action, relief and intonation set. Again may be different if I bought one of their new guitars. Just left me a little flat feeling that the day I bought one of my dream guitars the actual buying experience had none of the wow factors of the trips when I had no intention of buying!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom