The Curse of the Great Chorus

I am writing instrumentals towards a new project and have a few ideas that are stuck with one 'part' that sound great and I've refined it and built it up with drums, bass and other sounds. The problem that I have is nothing seems to work with it or complement it to build a song structure out of.

Wondering if anyone else encounters this and whether you have any tips on how to move things forward, the only thing I can ever think of is to have the same chord progression throughout the song and use different dynamics and sound choices to distinguish between the parts but wondering if there are other techniques I might not know about. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• svejksvejk Frets: 148

You could cannibalise another song? You could find the two ideas work together in a different way. You could play it in a different key, or with different chord voicings. Eg playing something in G will make it sound different - and might well lead you on to something new. You could even try 'covering' your own song in a different tuning. Does it have to be an instrumental? The biggest thing that would shake things up would be to add vocals... Hope that helps. If it doesn't, file it away because you will come back to it one day, or write something inspired by it.

• I find it kinda of hard to explain what I mean here but...I more and more start looking at the macro composition of the song. So what do I need to frame the elements I have int heir best light. For example if you have a high energy, anthemic chorus then you want the preceding parts to either build up to the high point or provid contrast around the transition.

Similarly the overall "busyness" should vary over the course of the track.

It's kind of like if you play super technical stuff at 1 million bpms all the way through the song it becomes totally forgettable.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ