Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

loaning gear

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Oddly enough, this weekend I have loaned out my amp to someone, which is I uber rare for me to do.

thing is, the guy who asked me (it's not actually for him, but for a gig he's on - so it's gonna be used by someone I not only haven't met but also don't even know the name of!) books the vast majority of my band's gigs and also occasionally offers me additional gigs...So it was wise to keep him sweet.

It's only a battered solid state amp, I have a spare if anything happened and I'd make damn sure any repairs were paid for...So I'm not overly concerned.

I'd never loan a guitar except to a couple of people who I would trust to look after it as well as they do their own...a couple at most..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Entirely depends on who it is and what they want to borrow. I lent my singer a guitar before when he had his nicked for example but I have no doubt that it would come back in the same condition I gave it to him in.

I lent my drummer some of my cheap dynamic drum mics but I wouldnt lend him my condensors or my bass drum mics because I know how clumsy he is with things. :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    I read a story about Noel Gallagher breaking a Les Paul that Johnny Marr had given him to lend. Previous to that it was a gift to Marr from Pete Townshend and Pete had got it from Joe Walsh!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17571
    tFB Trader
    Deadman said:
    I read a story about Noel Gallagher breaking a Les Paul that Johnny Marr had given him to lend. Previous to that it was a gift to Marr from Pete Townshend and Pete had got it from Joe Walsh!
    `Having been passed around that much it was probably a shit guitar. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Yes I would and have lent some gear to close friends, guitars are more of a problem as they are personal.
  • Generally I'll lend stuff to friends* as mostly my mates have enough respect to look after it. Got it wrong on one occasion when I lent a bass guitar and it came back scratched, filthy and not working.  He either had acid sweat or spilt something nasty on it because when I got round to fixing it it turned out the pickup coil wire had basically dissolved.  Turned out the guy was a twat anyway.

*apart from singers... ;)
  • Have in the past and will do again in the future, for the right friends of course.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    mike_l said:
    thinking on, theres 4 friends who i'm happy to lend guitars to. I know the guitars would come back as they went out. 2 are forumites...
    There Re in fact 5 forumites who I'd be happy and entirely confident lending gear too, there's a slight concern that one of them would end up giving in to his inner demon and attacking the guitar with acid & gold leaf but that's the chance you take..;-)
  • However...I once lent my beloved Squier Strat to my cousin "for a couple of weeks" because the guitarist in his band didn't have a guitar. That should've been a red flag right there. It came back after about 4 years in such a wrecked state that I've only recently (about 10 years later) summoned up the enthusiasm to start putting it right - the neck was twisted, the frets were damaged beyond repair, the electrics were literally ripped apart inside, and all the hardware was covered in rust.
    You jammy git! You lent him a Squier and he had the decency to return it as a genuinely road worn relic! I guess he saved you a small fortune against one of those pretend relics from fender's custom shop!  :))
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17571
    tFB Trader
    I can see why people might have concerns about lending gear to some of the riff raff on here, but this is me we're talking about :D
  • Loaned my green bullet mic to a new band member who then promptly dissapeared off the planet. Grrr
    I had a few guitar lessons once (hard to believe, I know) and the teacher borrowed my strat. Took months to get it back and I was annoyed. However, he did play it on a session for Radio 1 ( Nicky Campbell's show - how long ago was that?) so I have a guitar that's had more fame than I've had.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited September 2013
    If I'm there I will lend them anything, but I would keep my eye on it the whole time.

In fact I quite like watching other people use my stuff, it usually sounds better than when I play it too. ;)

• n3pn3p Frets: 38

Loaned a Mex HSS Strat to a (very good) friend a few months back as his only guitar had died when he wanted to record (he is primarily a bassist). Got told a couple of weeks later that his dog had the squits and shat all over my guitar. I haven't seen it since, and he won't let me look at it until it is cleaned up - his reasoning being that if I were to lay eyes on it, I'd instantly put it in the bin.

Upon hearing that, I told him he could keep it!

• n3p said:

Loaned a Mex HSS Strat to a (very good) friend a few months back as his only guitar had died when he wanted to record (he is primarily a bassist). Got told a couple of weeks later that his dog had the squits and shat all over my guitar. I haven't seen it since, and he won't let me look at it until it is cleaned up - his reasoning being that if I were to lay eyes on it, I'd instantly put it in the bin.

I used the same trick on £30 my mate lent me.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • n3pn3p Frets: 38
    n3p said:

I used the same trick on £30 my mate lent me.

:)

It does sound rather suspicious reading that back, but his dog also shat all over his recording "studio" - not a pleasant sight!