Ampmaker WF-55 can I make it a little cleaner?

What's Hot
I built this kit a few years ago and it is fantastic, its a testament to the instructions that it worked first time, for a novice like me. Anyroadup it would be nice if it could stay a bit cleaner at more volume….anyone know if this is achievable? Currently fitted with a Jensen 8inch C8R speaker. If its pricy or difficult to achieve than Ill just get another amp……….just looking for opinions on if its do-able…….

Heres a link to the amp
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1626

"The Men" might know differently but I would guess the only practical upgrade is to a 100dB/W speaker?

Dave.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I guessed that might be the case, lets see what "The Men" have to say…….
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Have look at point 6 here, but maybe try changing the resistor values in the other direction.

Mr Ampmaker is usually very helpful, and I think he might be on here ocassionally?

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I emailed Barry at Ampmaker, herews the reply.....

1) Try an ECC81/82 in V1 position, and/or
    2) Try a 6L6 in V2 position

These are good because they involve no rewiring

After that, you can reduce the gain by lowering the 100k plate resistors - perhaps to 56k or so. Let me know how you get on.

All the best

Barry

Ill give it a go......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom