Auditions

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
Whats the excepted amount of tracks to ask an auditionee to audition with these days?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    (Duplicate post culled)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    (Duplicate post culled)
    Thanks
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    3 and a good solid jam I'd say
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Last audition I went to I was given 2 set lists and told to come with as much of the material prepared as possible. Other times I've been given 3 or 5 titles.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Jalapeno said:
    3 and a good solid jam I'd say
    Ooooh Jaming :( never been a fan of that. Usually just ends up as mindless doodling initially and then I get bored :)
  • Last audition I went to I was given 2 set lists and told to come with as much of the material prepared as possible. Other times I've been given 3 or 5 titles.
    Yes I would have though 5 at the most. Thanks
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    For our just completed singer auditions we gave them a list of about 6-7 songs and then asked them to learn at least 3, or more if they had time.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited September 2014
    Whats the excepted amount of tracks to ask an auditionee to audition with these days?

Our format for instrumentalists:

First round (30 mins) -

(We'd play for them first to show what we're like).

2 Tracks played with backing, so we can watch them perform and listen without being distracted by our own instruments.  For us we asked for 1 in the same style as the band, and the 2nd could be free choice in case they wanted to show off any other skills.

Then we'd have a 2 way chat to see if they'll fit in.

Second round (full session) -

Trial session.

Since we're an originals band we didn't give them guide tracks for all songs, and instead kept back two tracks that we'd teach on the day, to get an idea of what working with them would be like and how fast they'd learn.

------

We felt that was enough for us.  First time you meet someone you can usually get a vibe quite quickly, so no need to drag things out or have them learn lots of stuff until you know they're a decent fit.  You might as well see as many people like this as you can, and only invite back people who you think might work.  The second trial session then gives you a better idea of what working with them would be like.
  • Whats the excepted amount of tracks to ask an auditionee to audition with these days?

First round (30 mins) -

2 Tracks played with backing, so we can watch them perform and listen without being distracted by our own instruments.  For us we asked for 1 in the same style as the band, and the 2nd could be free choice in case they wanted to show off any other skills.

Trial session.

Since we're an originals band we didn't give them guide tracks for all songs, and instead kept back two tracks that we'd teach on the day, to get an idea of what working with them would be like and how fast they'd learn.

------

We felt that was enough for us.  First time you meet someone you can usually get a vibe quite quickly, so no need to drag things out or have them learn lots of stuff until you know they're a decent fit.  You might as well see as many people like this as you can, and only invite back people who you think might work.  The second trial session then gives you a better idea of what working with them would be like.
    Wow I've never been to an audition like that. Sounds terrifying LOL
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I'm with the above. Give them an array of songs to choose from and ask them to pick 3 or 4. 

Generally give them an hour in a rehearsal room to go through the songs a few times (about 30 mins or so) with feedback on what you like / don't like about what they're playing after each song although if they're not great it's easier to not give them feedback on the bad of course and you'll no doubt give that knowing look to another band mate at some point during one of the songs as if to say this person isn't for us..... 

After that generally like to have a chat with them for 15 - 20 minutes about their past experiences with other bands, why they split/left, who they know in the local scene and what venues they've played and if they have contacts worth having. 

I try and keep it friendly and as relaxed as possible to try and bring out the best in people. I've done auditions before and the one that sticks out in my mind is another guitarist for a 5 piece I was in years ago. He's a very quiet and shy guy so when he auditioned he didn't say much and had his amp on very quiet even though we told him to turn up numerous times. A few of the other band members weren't that keen to bring him back as a result but I could tell he could play so I convinced them to bring him back.

Well, numerous years later, he's still going strong with that band (I left years ago) and they are about to rebrand and he's marrying the singer !! He is a phenomenal player and one of the few guys I'd generally go out of my way to see him play live. 

• I only would have the problem of playing the same song in another style. That would be like a pressure for me. I would have no problem with the rest of an audition of that ilk :)
  • I've just scored an audition with a bunch of ageing jazzers who want to play 50s/60/early 70s pop at "quiet dinner-function background levels", and they want someone to play fills, intros, solos etc and generally muck about while another guitarist holds the rhythm down and sings. He apparently has lead sheets for all the stuff on the list. They are keen to gig. So I am to take my 335, pedalboard, and Epiphone Valve Junior tomorrow to see how I fit in. I'm 3 years away from my bus pass, I think the others have already got theirs. I hope to fit in quite easily. :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited September 2014

First round (30 mins) -

Trial session.

------

Wow I've never been to an audition like that. Sounds terrifying LOL
    LOL. 

On paper it looks like a lot but it works really well and we've had great feedback from people about it.  We always set out our process in email correspondence and people like having a clear structure and time frames.

The idea is that the three most important things for us are will they fit in as person, can they perform (which means both can they play, and are they confident infront of other people) and can we work together as musicians.  

You can get a good idea of the first two in a short meetup, which works well on both sides.  We are an originals band so possibly look for different things to what a function/covers band might.  Personally, I don't think it is fair to make someone learn audition material if you might not pick them, especially if you can figure out their skill level by asking them to play songs they already know.  Plus so much of it is about personalities and friendship, hence why we spend about 15 minutes just chatting to see if we'll work together and if we have shared goals.  We always leave 15 minutes gap in our own scheduling before the next audition to allow chatting to overrun if it needs to.

To figure out if you can work with them you really need to have a shot at working with them.  Seeing how they learn material is a good test of what it'd be like to work with them.  If it all feels good after that session then that is your person.
  • Speed of learning material is a good one to know. Fortunately I learn stuff pretty quickly but others take a damn age it feels sometimes :(
  • For my last audition I was given 5 songs and asked to concentrate on 3 of them, but prep all 5 if possible, which I did.

I then went onto their website and got their party setlist and noted which ones of those I already knew too :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Here's 3, here's the format/arrangement, show us what ye can do within the expectations of the role. Relax, and please don't be off yer tits.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • I've just scored an audition with a bunch of ageing jazzers who want to play 50s/60/early 70s pop at "quiet dinner-function background levels", and they want someone to play fills, intros, solos etc and generally muck about while another guitarist holds the rhythm down and sings. He apparently has lead sheets for all the stuff on the list. They are keen to gig. So I am to take my 335, pedalboard, and Epiphone Valve Junior tomorrow to see how I fit in. I'm 3 years away from my bus pass, I think the others have already got theirs. I hope to fit in quite easily. :)
    It felt like I got on quite well. The drummer has had his bus pass for 3 x as long as I've got to wait for mine! The downer was they all work from lyric sheets with chord symbols written above the words. No bar lines, no timing information, which didn't help as I'd only heard a handful of the songs before. However a lot of the material was predictable, and most of it was similar in style (they'll have to widen that approach I think), so it was relatively easy to slot in with it. If they ask me to join, the first thing I will ask for is barlines on these lyric sheets. Even if I'm the only one who wants them, and I end up putting them on myself.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    Blimey ! Working from song sheets is such a no no for me. IMHO It means one is reliant on them and would struggle if the song went wrong etc. I always learn and memorise
  • Blimey ! Working from song sheets is such a no no for me. IMHO It means one is reliant on them and would struggle if the song went wrong etc. I always learn and memorise
    I need something to learn from
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    Blimey ! Working from song sheets is such a no no for me. IMHO It means one is reliant on them and would struggle if the song went wrong etc. I always learn and memorise
    I need something to learn from
    Well I guess we all have our own way of learning. I thought you meant the band generally has song sheets in front of them all the time even in a live situation. 

I learn from recordings initially by ear and add my own stuff if appropriate