Auditions

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Blimey ! Working from song sheets is such a no no for me. IMHO It means one is reliant on them and would struggle if the song went wrong etc. I always learn and memorise
    I need something to learn from
    Well I guess we all have our own way of learning. I thought you meant the band generally has song sheets in front of them all the time even in a live situation. 

I learn from recordings initially by ear and add my own stuff if appropriate 
    I've not seen them live, they've only done one gig so far. They don't want me to parrot the original recordings. I would find it easier to invent fills & solo-y bits if I knew how many bars I have to do it over.

[rant]

why TF do people think that lyrics + chord symbols = chord chart?? :x
    A chord chart is just that: it maps out how the chords progress with time. The lyrics are irrelevant unless you're the singer!

[/rant]
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited October 2014
    Blimey ! Working from song sheets is such a no no for me. IMHO It means one is reliant on them and would struggle if the song went wrong etc. I always learn and memorise
    I need something to learn from
    Well I guess we all have our own way of learning. I thought you meant the band generally has song sheets in front of them all the time even in a live situation. 

I learn from recordings initially by ear and add my own stuff if appropriate 
    I've not seen them live, they've only done one gig so far. They don't want me to parrot the original recordings. I would find it easier to invent fills & solo-y bits if I knew how many bars I have to do it over.

[rant]

why TF do people think that lyrics + chord symbols = chord chart?? :x
    A chord chart is just that: it maps out how the chords progress with time. The lyrics are irrelevant unless you're the singer!

[/rant]
    I can see the benefit of using the lyrics of a song as hook or trigger for solos etc. Should I get lost in a song 'cos of a stunning partier walking past my gaze. Only because I'm shallow like that LOL
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • @hotpickups ;) I know what you mean about the distractions ;) but as a trigger for solos the chord chart will tell you where to do it more accurately than a lyric sheet will, especially as you rarely hear the vocalist clearly (you just know they're singing), and anyway you're far more concerned with what you're playing and when than with words.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    @hotpickups ;) I know what you mean about the distractions ;) but as a trigger for solos the chord chart will tell you where to do it more accurately than a lyric sheet will, especially as you rarely hear the vocalist clearly (you just know they're singing), and anyway you're far more concerned with what you're playing and when than with words.
    I guess the difference is I never count bars. I play by feel I guess. If I try to count them I know I will screw up :)
  • @hotpickups ;) I know what you mean about the distractions ;) but as a trigger for solos the chord chart will tell you where to do it more accurately than a lyric sheet will, especially as you rarely hear the vocalist clearly (you just know they're singing), and anyway you're far more concerned with what you're playing and when than with words.
    I guess the difference is I never count bars. I play by feel I guess. If I try to count them I know I will screw up :)
    Fair play. But for me to play 'by feel', I need to have practiced (ie programmed my motor system) accurately first, which is why I need a precise statement of what to practice.
    @hotpickups ;) I know what you mean about the distractions ;) but as a trigger for solos the chord chart will tell you where to do it more accurately than a lyric sheet will, especially as you rarely hear the vocalist clearly (you just know they're singing), and anyway you're far more concerned with what you're playing and when than with words.
    Fair play. But for me to play 'by feel', I need to have practiced (ie programmed my motor system) accurately first, which is why I need a precise statement of what to practice.
    Yes Me too in a way. I learn the basic structure by rote until my fingers have the muscle memory and then forget all charts so it's all in the memory banks. Not always fool proof as the memory banks don't hold as much as they used to :(
  • I got the gig. :)

I got the gig. :)

Well done. Ive got an audition in a few weeks myself. I'll keep you posted :)
  • I got the gig. :)

Well done. Ive got an audition in a few weeks myself. I'll keep you posted :)
    wishing you well for it :)
  • I'd say the acceptable number of songs is "enough to fit into a half hour audition, but not so many that you don't have them all nailed".

I'd rather they did fewer songs but really showed us what they can do with them.
    <space for hire>
  • saw an ad for a band looking for a guitarist, applied and asked them to send me their setlist,  about 50 songs on it, I already knew and play 20 of them. went to audition and it turns out they only knew 8 of them, the rest were a work in progress lol, bunch of jokers
    saw an ad for a band looking for a guitarist, applied and asked them to send me their setlist,  about 50 songs on it, I already knew and play 20 of them. went to audition and it turns out they only knew 8 of them, the rest were a work in progress lol, bunch of jokers
    Yep I've had the same experience myself. Not quite as many as that but I knew them more than they did.