a few newbie questions... sorry

What's Hot
I bought a guitar to strip to the wood (started tonight, going to take a while but should be 'fun').

It's my first time doing this, and I wanted to upgrade a few things on it... but I don't know where to start really. So any advice would be great.

I'm not trying to make a cheap guitar a 'Les Paul killer', just wanted to see what I could do.

If a put a roller bridge on it does it effect string spacings? 
Can any stop bar be used a replacement?
If I up grade the pickups, what are the basics to look for? Again on string spacing etc. (rather than sound).
It it worth upgrading the wiring along with the picks. i.e. pots etc.?

I know this is fairly basic stuff, but any advice (as always) would be great.

Cheers

Mark

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    What guitar did you buy? Knowing the model will let people help you with string spacings, stop bar sizes etc.
  • Sorry. It's a BC Rich Bich platinum. So it's pointy and cheap :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    markblack said:
    If a put a roller bridge on it does it effect string spacings?
    Probably pointless if it has a stop tailpiece - you only need a roller bridge with a trem. If you still want to fit one anyway, it depends on the design - some (eg Schaller) can be adjusted, some can't.

markblack said:
    Can any stop bar be used a replacement?
    Most seem to fit, but it's possible some won't.

markblack said:
    If I up grade the pickups, what are the basics to look for? Again on string spacing etc. (rather than sound).
    Most humbuckers come in standard (Gibson) spacing, and some come in 'F' (Fender) spacing. Some makers differentiate between bridge and neck spacing too. It's not critical - if the string passes over any part of the polepiece it makes no difference other than visually. You can even have the E strings slightly outside the polepieces and probably won't hear it.

markblack said:
    It it worth upgrading the wiring along with the picks. i.e. pots etc.?
    If it has typical generic far-east pots and wiring, yes. The jack is also worth upgrading (to USA Switchcraft) and sometimes the switch. Even just removing the ridiculously excessive length of wire in most far-east guitars and making a neat job of it can improve things… very subtly!

Hope that helps :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I think you need to ask yourself what you want to achieve, what style of musc you play etc, then decide your upgrades based on that........
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    @ICBM cheers. Very helpful. M
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10360
    tFB Trader
    Yes I know I'm a pickup maker so 'bound to say this' but a pickup upgrade will make the most drastic difference to the instrument's sound. You won't notice much difference ... or sometimes any ... in upgrading the pots and capacitor/s ... just a better feel and better longevity and reliability. I often do it with my demo guitars as a matter of course ... simply because I have the guitar 'open' and a drawer full of pots and caps ... often I get the feeling I am replacing adequate components because it's the 'thing to do'! My Vintage SG Junior for example has it's posh ASL Jin-Go P90 prototype but mini pots ... they are smooth and they work.

A good setup ... the nut slots cut right and the action at optimum will make the instrument feel infinitely better.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    @TheGuitarWeasel - I emailed you about some pickups with clear bobbins. So I might be taking your advice. :) (assuming I don't make a mess of striping it!!!) Cheers. M