Flatting lacquer

What's Hot
jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
edited October 2014 in Making & Modding
somebody give me some technique tips for wet sanding lacquer properly on the back of a guitar neck ie the curved surface, and tween the frets.

Absolutely don't wanna go through the lacquer due to the total piss fart on getting good humidity spray days.

Ta.
"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    1500 grit wet and dry max, jd. After each bit of sanding dry it off with something absorbent to check on your progress. Keep your hand moulded to the contours and avoid uneven pressure. That's for the back. The areas between the frets is a dodgy area to get even-ness. Be careful.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Deadman said:
    1500 grit wet and dry max, jd. After each bit of sanding dry it off with something absorbent to check on your progress. Keep your hand moulded to the contours and avoid uneven pressure. That's for the back. The areas between the frets is a dodgy area to get even-ness. Be careful.
    That's the advice I was dreadin' @Deadman! Gonna be a right fart on. I need a butler or something.
    Just take your time. You'll be fine. What are you trying to achieve? I probably should have asked that first.
    Perfectly flat, flawless lacquer that will buff up all nice and shiny, preferably!
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850

if you're starting with 1200 be prepared for a long old job, I'd go from 600 up to 2000. If you can lay your hands on it buy some micro mesh, its much easier to use on curved surfaces, comes in all grades and lasts for ages, when I do a neck I cut a piece of sponge and wrap the micro mesh around that, keeps the surface wet with the constant dampness from the sponge too. Just make sure theres enough lacquer on the neck and you wont arse it up, tread very careful around the edges or you will wear through to the wood.

Was planning on going 400, 800, 1200. Then leaving for a fortnight and Rottenstoning it all.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I always used to go through on the edges. So i stopped doing the edges, simple.

essentially i stay away from them till the last few passes
    WezV;368412" said:
    I always used to go through on the edges. So i stopped doing the edges, simple.

essentially i stay away from them till the last few passes
    Taken on board :)
    edited October 2014
    I wet flatted a newly refinished Tele body tonight with 1500 and a foam block then used Farecla G3 followed by 3M fine compound to polish it up. Didn't need to resort to my micromesh as I was patient with the 1500 grit, thus leaving less scratches behind. It was nitro but I did it all by hand, took about 2 hours to get a nice, flat, even shine. Is your job nitro? Poly won't flat and polish so be warned.
    Deadman said:
    I wet flatted a newly refinished Tele body tonight with 1500 and a foam block then used Farecla G3 followed by 3M fine compound to polish it up. Didn't need to resort to my micromesh as I was patient with the 1500 grit, thus leaving less scratches behind. It was nitro but I did it all by hand, took about 2 hours to get a nice, flat, even shine. Is your job nitro? Poly won't flat and polish so be warned.

Yeah it's nitro fella. @SteveRobinson gear. Could only get 400 and 600 grit from B & We've Never Fckn Got What You Need Q so will need to order in but plan to crack on tomorrow. Will pop down to Screwfix. 
    Ah, right. Steve's a top bloke. Personally I wouldn't polish using those grades, only if I was prepping/denibbing to re-coat, all I would say is be careful. Possibly even think about rubbing a couple of bits together to take the edge off them.
    If you want some micromesh give me a shout and I'll pop some in the post for you.
    halfords are the only place I have found that stock higher grades on the high street, good when you need some quickly.  they normally have up to 2000g

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    WezV;369193" said:
    halfords are the only place I have found that stock higher grades on the high street, good when you need some quickly.  they normally have up to 2000g
    +1. I got my wet and dry from Halfords, all the grades up to P2000. Decent enough quality too.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    Cheers fella's, Halfords it is then. And thanks for the offer @Deadman, but I'm gonna plod on and make some mistakes  :)
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850

As handy as Halfords are for picking up some wet and dry in a hurry, I have a huge knot in my stomach everytime I pay in there, utter utter ripoff prices...and they're higer numbered paper is shit quality - from 1500 upwards, it literally washes apart after 30 seconds rubbing, the coating just washes off!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No worries jd. Good luck with it!
    lamf68 said:

As handy as Halfords are for picking up some wet and dry in a hurry, I have a huge knot in my stomach everytime I pay in there, utter utter ripoff prices...and they're higer numbered paper is shit quality - from 1500 upwards, it literally washes apart after 30 seconds rubbing, the coating just washes off!!!

yeah, i wouldn't argue with that.    there is definitely better stuff out there.  halfords often win out for convenience, mainly because i always forget to stock up when i should ;) 
    Fckn hell man, how much nitro do I need to put on???? Can of clear coat on the neck (all light coats but a full can nonetheless) started gently with 800 and white spirit, and it's thru on a wee bit. JFC!!!!!
    Why are you using white spirit to flat off jd? Water young man. Water!
    Deadman;369851" said:
    Why are you using white spirit to flat off jd? Water young man. Water!

It won't swell the wood fibres. I'm clumsy!