Bleaching wood?

Going to get another project body, a sugar pine one.

They look great, and some have beautiful looking grain, but some are quite yellow. I'm thinking of dyeing it with wudtone if it's got attractive grain, in which case I'd like to bleach it a bit to stop it going a funny colour.

Does this work? And what product would you use? Also, does it stay in the wood in a way that could harm wudtone' s efforts to soak in?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    edited October 2014
    Rustins wood bleach. Part a draws out the colour and makes it darker. Part b cleans it all up.

its effectiveness varies depending on the wood

no idea how it works with wudtone, but if the colour is built up on the surface i imagine it would work. I would be wary of the ones that need to soak in
  • WezV;368407" said:
    Rustins wood bleach. Part a draws out the colour and makes it darker. Part b cleans it all up.

no idea how it works with wudtone, but if the colour is built up on the surface i imagine it would work. I would be wary of the ones that need to soak in
    Hmm... I might get some and try it on a piece of scrap, seeing as pine is so easy to get.

But thanks for the recommendation. I'll report back when done - will test with both a "build uo" type and "soak in" type of wudtone.
    WezV;368407" said:

Hmm... I might get some and try it on a piece of scrap, seeing as pine is so easy to get.

But thanks for the recommendation. I'll report back when done - will test with both a "build uo" type and "soak in" type of wudtone.

testing on scrap or in an inconspicuous area is always the best bet, even when someone tells you it will work fine

just beware of different types of pine, try to find something simialr to the body for best results

• WezV;368543" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

WezV;368407" said:Rustins wood bleach. Part a draws out the colour and makes it darker. Part b cleans it all up.

testing on scrap or in an inconspicuous area is always the best bet, even when someone tells you it will work fine just beware of different types of pine, try to find something simialr to the body for best results
    I'll try the inside of a cavity before I do the body. :)
    it was used on the top of this before spraying

not the usual way to get bright yellow on mahogany, but it worked well
  • WezV;368792" said:
    it was used on the top of this before sprayinghttp://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/complete guitars/LPJfin.jpg

not the usual way to get bright yellow on mahogany, but it worked well
    Even better, it's preserved the grainy look in the wood, too. Something a coat of, say, white, wouldn't do so well.

Sounds like a good thing to try at the very least. I'll report back - assuming I win the body I'm bidding on ;)

And I'm thinking of using a warmoth 24.75" conversion neck... Though might ask grahame if he does these. I quite fancy a shorter scale telemaster, should look neat.

But I also want a cbs style big headstock, which warmoth won't do. Gah!
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
     I quite fancy a shorter scale telemaster, should look neat. 

Teleguar?

Telestang?

Teleuo-sonic?
  • DannyP said:
     I quite fancy a shorter scale telemaster, should look neat. 

Teleguar?

Telestang?

Teleuo-sonic?
    Yeah, something like them ;)

I'm half tempted to go for a Mustang, but sourcing a mustang neck is harder work...