Line 6 M5 Owner comments please.

What's Hot
FezFez Frets: 499
I have been looking at the M5 pedal with GAS goggles on. On paper it sounds like a really useful bit of kit. In fact paired with an expression pedal it's pretty much your B board and would be great when space is an issue.
So who uses one and how?
Any good in an FX loop (probably not with all the dist & wahs etc)?
Don't touch that dial.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• longilongi Frets: 95
    I use one and it's pretty good. It's best used in a midi setup controlled by something else as the patch changing system is very clunky. I use mine out front controlled by my AX3000G and it works a treat. The AX3000G's expression pedal controls the M5's wah wah and volume swells very well with no programming involved. The TS model is excellent. The reverbs are excellent, the delays pretty good, the harmonizer is excellent too. The mods are useable as are most of the oddball effects. The tuner is far better than the HD500's too. It's a pedal that will stay on one of my setups forever. A great bit of kit.
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    Thanks Longi the Harmonizer is one of the effects which interests me. 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited September 2013
    I have three on my old board - one for delay, one as an overdrive/boost and one as a rotary effect. A purist mate of mine came round the other day and had a go, expecting to hate them. He loved them so much he went an bought one. I like the fact you can save your presets in them too and call them up on a setlist. Mine are largely redundant at the moment as I was so impressed with them I bought a HD500X recently and am now pretty converted to modelling full stop. I am GASsing for a James Tyler variax now too, so two of mine are likely to be up for sale - PM me if you are interested in getting one for a decent price - two were new from Andertons at the start of August so are still well under warranty. Either way, you can't go wrong with these at all. The tubescreamer is my favourite effect, but the delays are lovely too.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    The M5 is great and can be had for fairly cheap. I just sold mine because I was only using the harmonizer though.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Very good pedal.  I'm mainly using mine as a delay at the moment as my delay died and I haven't got another one yet.
  • M9 owner here so I can't speak for the preset switching etc, but the sounds themselves are great, and really good with an exp pedal alongside
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I have nearly bought an M5 so many times. I had an M9 for a while and it did some great stuff so an M5 at the reduced price is very appealing. The switching system means, for me, it would be relegated to a single use effect for a gig ( although not that I'm gigging atm so a bit hypothetical) although the bigger concern is the power supply. I only have a little board anyway and at the moment using a Diago daisy chain set up. Whilst this delivers ample power I am worried that running an M5 off it would create noise. One of those Diago digital convertor things wont carry enough power and upgrading to a full on isolated supply would be expensive and a bit bulky. Running the M5 off it's own wall wart would be possible ( the M9 doesn't run off a standard 9v supply so I had a wall wart for that, but it was 80% of my board)but not desirable.
    Normally I don't think these things through at all and just end up making costly mistakes but here I might be over thinking it!    
    ~:>
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited September 2013
    I have nearly bought an M5 so many times. I had an M9 for a while and it did some great stuff so an M5 at the reduced price is very appealing. The switching system means, for me, it would be relegated to a single use effect for a gig ( although not that I'm gigging atm so a bit hypothetical) although the bigger concern is the power supply. I only have a little board anyway and at the moment using a Diago daisy chain set up. Whilst this delivers ample power I am worried that running an M5 off it would create noise. 
    I can confirm that the M5 runs silently off a diago powerstation on the daisy chain with no additional adaptors as this was what I had and it was perfect. It is 9v same as Boss...

• @feelers0677 I am going to start wanting one again now, yet feel I haven't a penny to spend on any more pedals. Aaaagghh :((
  • @feelers0677 I am going to start wanting one again now, yet feel I haven't a penny to spend on any more pedals. Aaaagghh :((
    :)
    Feelers0677? lol!

Yeah, GAS is a mistress not easily pleased!

:)
    Feelers0677? lol!

Yeah, GAS is a mistress not easily pleased!
    err, I'm going to blame predictive text
    @-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I got noise when daisy chained with other pedals. I have an adaptor with non isolated outs though.
    edited September 2013
    hugbot said:
    I got noise when daisy chained with other pedals. I have an adaptor with non isolated outs though.
    That's odd. The only noise I got was on the tubescreamer mode, the appropriate amp emulated hiss, but delays, chorus, wah etc, dead quiet - straight into front of amp.

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I've considered it before and I'm tempted again. There's plenty in there I would use but would need it in about three different places in my signal path! Can understand why some of you guys have bought a few.

I think with the price of them now I'll grab one sooner rather than later, its cheaper than many of the single pedals I'd have to buy for the sounds I'd use (Digitech Whammy, I'm looking at you!)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think the only thing that let the M5 down was it's control interface - switching features is painful and requires more thought than it should.

I loved the expression pedal feature and may well be acquiring another some time soon as I use the expression pedal to determine which of the 1590a pedals I'm currently making gets the 3.5cm knob - making it a sort of expression pedal.. depth or speed on the trem? delay time or repeats on a delay?

and so on.

I think the M5 needs a midimouse before it's a practical dynamic gigging tool.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus said:

Pressing both stomp buttons together gives you the same sort of interface as the midi mouse, but that only works if you play the songs in the same order on the set - literally up and down a set of presets... that said, the midi moose would work really well, as you wouldn't need to scroll and have four or five presents callable at the press of one stomp. I like that idea!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    geepers0677;36268" said:
    frankus said:

Pressing both stomp buttons together gives you the same sort of interface as the midi mouse, but that only works if you play the songs in the same order on the set - literally up and down a set of presets... that said, the midi moose would work really well, as you wouldn't need to scroll and have four or five presents callable at the press of one stomp. I like that idea!
    If you're going to get an M5 and a Midi Mouse, might as well just get an M9! Take up less space and you get the bonus of simultaneous effects.

While I think about it, can any M5 users tell me if it can be kicked into bypass with a midi command? Cheers!
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    edited September 2013
    The M5 is an amazing pedal for the money. The amount of effects and their quality is atonishing when you think that it costs under £100. 

I also use a zoom G3. The mods tend to be way better on the M5. 

My only issue is that when using the tremolo's on the M5 i get a massive volume boost like a clean boost has been added in with the M5. Does anyone else get a volume boost with certain Modulation effects on the M5 and is there a way to get rid of it?
  • mike257 said:
    geepers0677;36268" said:
    frankus said:

If you're going to get an M5 and a Midi Mouse, might as well just get an M9! Take up less space and you get the bonus of simultaneous effects.

While I think about it, can any M5 users tell me if it can be kicked into bypass with a midi command? Cheers!
    You're absolutely right, and in fact I totally forgot about the simultaneous effects part.
    I haven't tried putting it in bypass via midi, but I should think it is possible, the nova system could do that.

• The M5 is an amazing pedal for the money. The amount of effects and their quality is atonishing when you think that it costs under £100. 

I also use a zoom G3. The mods tend to be way better on the M5. 

My only issue is that when using the tremolo's on the M5 i get a massive volume boost like a clean boost has been added in with the M5. Does anyone else get a volume boost with certain Modulation effects on the M5 and is there a way to get rid of it?
    can you not lower the volume within the patch and resave the preset? I'll have a look when I get home.