The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Do we know if Lewis has got the championship winning engineers again this year? I'm sure the other guys are just as fantastic at their jobs, but having the "better" half of the team would be a big psychological boost to any driver.
    @Fretwired @stickyfiddle  I can't remember what the source was, I think either James Allen or Martin Brundle but Bottas has got Rosberg's engineers, so Hamilton hasn't had his own way there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467

Do we know if Lewis has got the championship winning engineers again this year? I'm sure the other guys are just as fantastic at their jobs, but having the "better" half of the team would be a big psychological boost to any driver.
    @Fretwired @stickyfiddle  I can't remember what the source was, I think either James Allen or Martin Brundle but Bottas has got Rosberg's engineers, so Hamilton hasn't had his own way there!
    I think that will work in his favour TBH - better continuity sticking with the crew he had.

I'm going:

HAM
    VET
    BOT
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Ham
     Bot
    Vest

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Ham
     Bot
    Vest
    Team Corbyn on the podium.  

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Ham
     Bot
    Vest
    Team Corbyn on the podium.  
    I've heard he has the Momentum.

Perhaps I should have gone

Hammy
    Botty and 
    Vesty

but I'm not sure that helps

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    I think Bottas and Hamilton will collide in T1 in an incident where Hamilton should have backed out.

Vettel will concede his 3rd place on the grid as he takes to the grass in avoidance but come back through to finish 2nd behind Verstappen and ahead of Kimi who will disappoint.  Ricciardo in 4th just behind Kimi.

Wish I could be more specific.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    I honestly don't have a clue.

I really like the first couple of races, seeing how things settle in.

Which year was it where the first race had cars dropping like flies? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4524
    Max to win everything
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Bottas
    Hamilton
    Vettel
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:

The first race of the latest V6 era in 2014 I expect. Seem to remember only 13 finished.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Alonso quizzed on what he'd change to improve F1: "Equal engines..."
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It's all Ron's fault. Binned Mercedes before Honda were ready and the rest is history. Honda should follow Mercedes and get the engine designed and made in England.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    TimmyO said:

2008. 7 cars running at the chequered flag and then Barichello got disqualified. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Australian_Grand_Prix

First race since 2001 San Marino GP to not feature traction control. 

TimmyO said:

2008. 7 cars running at the chequered flag and then Barichello got disqualified. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Australian_Grand_Prix

First race since 2001 San Marino GP to not feature traction control. 

Forgotten about that - there were a number of big crashes that wiped out quite a few cars.

It's fun to look back over that period. When testing occurred in 2007, Massa was the most vocal about the lack of traction control as he'd never driven without it. Schumacher was half a second quicker in testing despite having retired by that point. Felipe talked of how you had to be gentle with the accelerator, have a smoother approach to driving... come 2009, you've got Button and Brawn, a fine car with a man with one of the smoothest driving styles around. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Fretwired said:
    It's all Ron's fault. Binned Mercedes before Honda were ready and the rest is history. Honda should follow Mercedes and get the engine designed and made in England.
    Yes that has seemed odd to me so far in this Honda thing - McLaren tout it as being the best solution as it's a factory engine partner, yet they operate on opposite sides of the world. Perhaps the investment was too large until they had something working - although that day looks like it may never come.

I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that it's pretty painful being a McLaren supporter and feeling like the season is a dead loss before it has even begun :-( 
    Red ones are better. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    TimmyO said:
    Fretwired said:
    Yes that has seemed odd to me so far in this Honda thing - McLaren tout it as being the best solution as it's a factory engine partner, yet they operate on opposite sides of the world. Perhaps the investment was too large until they had something working - although that day looks like it may never come.

I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that it's pretty painful being a McLaren supporter and feeling like the season is a dead loss before it has even begun :-( 
    Ron's thing was that McLaren needed to a be a works team to be succesful rather than a Mercedes customer team. He had a point somewhat. Things wouldn't have been anywhere as bad with a Mercedes engine, but they would have unlikely been able to win much or challenge for the WDC/WCC as they wouldn't have had the same engine spec or integration as the Mercedes works team.
    Octafish said:
    TimmyO said:
    Fretwired said:

Ron's thing was that McLaren needed to a be a works team to be succesful rather than a Mercedes customer team. He had a point somewhat. Things wouldn't have been anywhere as bad with a Mercedes engine, but they would have unlikely been able to win much or challenge for the WDC/WCC as they wouldn't have had the same engine spec or integration as the Mercedes works team.
    Honda needed another 18 months or more to develop the engine. Ron should have stuck with Mercedes until the bugs were ironed out. Honda came with a half-baked engine and have been playing catch-up ever since. They need to get some British brains who are used to building racing engines on board.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    The rules are the same for everyone. It is absolutely crucifying Honda only supplying one team vs the other teams supplying 3 or 4 teams each.
    Ominous stuff from HAM so far.