Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Tube Screamer type pedal?

What's Hot
I know that most overdrives are based on a Tube Screamer but what would you say is the best tube screamer type pedal you have ever used/owned?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The only TS based pedal I'e ever got on with is the Valvesporker, but I'm pretty sure it's tweaked so far that there's little tubescreamer left in there. I haven't actually tried a TS in years- I might like one much more now.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Into a valve amp, a Digitech Bad monkey, gain set fairly low, bass and treble tweaked for a nicer boosted sound.

Currently either a Boss SD-1 or SD-2 into a solid state amp.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    edited September 2013
    I never really liked TSs, but I have a Boss FB-2 pedal which builds on a TS-type boost but also has a cool feature where it zeros in on a small section of the sound spectrum and gives pretty much instant feedback at any volume. So you can use it as a clean boost, a mid-gain boost or a feedback unit. I don't use it very often but I like it very much indeed.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    The Hardwire Overdrive is worth a go. 
    Not massively expensive, has the (essential IMO) bass control, an additional mode for a bit more welly and unlike the also great Bad Monkey, it is TB rather than buffered. 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    out of what i've tried, the bad monkey is hard to beat on the cheap.

it really depends on what you mean by "best", though- more features? getting rid of the things some people don't like about a ts? getting rid of them while also being able to sound like a ts as well? cheap but still really good? sounding slightly different (in a useful way) while still being in the same ballpark? etc. etc.
  • I really like the Visual Sound 808 circuit.  It has a load of volume if you need it, a bass boost switch, and it seems to be fairly smooth for tone.  

I've got an SD1 which is similar but different, I really like that for getting pinch harmonics to pop out more easily and to also give a harder sound.

I should finally get my Bad Monkey back tonight too.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it works with my Roadster.

Best really depends on the rest of the chain IMO.  The differences are subtle but sometimes some pedals work better than others due to how they can be tweaked.  However they all arguably will work for the same thing so I don't think it is worth having several unless there really isn't anything else you'd rather buy.  I've only ended up with three through trading and hoarding, it wasn't intentional... :))
  • cheapest and best solution has to be the boss sd1. i bloody love my ts9dx though GREAT with a tele
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Mad Professor Little Green Wonder is by far the best I've tried. Has more gain than a regular TS, holds the bass better, and you can really fine tune that mid hump, also has way less compression. It's a very musical sounding pedal.
  • Got a used Way Huge Green Rhino mk2 from the US for around £40, really decent ts type overdrive if a little bulky. The 100Hz knob is actually really useful for adding the lows back in that are sometimes attenuated with ts type circuits. Expensive to get hold over over here though
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    edited September 2013
    ^ Yeah the bulk is what stopped me getting one- and also the visual sound route 808 (which, if it does have more volume boost on tap, would be very useful- the lack of boost is about the only thing I don't like about a TS). I know dv247 had a route 808 for a really good price a while back but I chickened out and went with a bad monkey instead as it's a more sensible size and shape.

cheapest and best solution has to be the boss sd1. i bloody love my ts9dx though GREAT with a tele

I'll see your sd1 and raise you my cheapo daphon sd1 clone which i got for (IIRC) £13 from marcmart and which (if mine's anything to go by) doesn't have the boss's bleedthrough problem in bypass. Not bad for a third of the price of the "real thing". Admittedly the boss version does look a lot cooler. And I'm guessing it's built better too, to be fair.

also the Bad Monkey is cheaper than an SD1 (it is from thomann, anyway).

But I agree, the sd1 is an excellent circuit- similar enough to the tubescreamer that you can use it in the same way and for the same thing, but different enough that it doesn't just feel like you're buying another ts-clone, either. For some things I prefer a ts-type pedal, for others the sd1.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    I have a Bad Monkey and a Fullldrive II, neither are going anywhere.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I should point out I have a Route 66 on the classifieds for £60 which has the excellent TS circuit in it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Also check out the Emma Stinkbug. Greatly under-rated pedal.
  • monquixote;35844" said:
    I should point out I have a Route 66 on the classifieds for £60 which has the excellent TS circuit in it.
    I'd second that, I have the Jekyll & Hyde which has the same TS in it, and also a more distorted version.
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    Keeley ts9dx turbo every time.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I've had a proper TS9 for donkey's, and I see no need to change it.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Rockbox Boiling Point. Hoping I don't open the usual can of worms about this pedal but it really is a cut above.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    My Valvesporker.

Now please to buy it ;)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    I love the Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. Sounds great (like a TS) handy dual EQ and more solid than a very solid thing. Plus a huge 'button' for the clumsy footed
    Red ones are better. 
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    TimmyO said:
    I love the Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. Sounds great (like a TS) handy dual EQ and more solid than a very solid thing. Plus a huge 'button' for the clumsy footed
    +1 for the CM-2 I'm loving mine, the separate bass & treble controls make all the better. Also the Line 6 M5 TS model is excellent for the same reason and is almost identical and almost as good. They really are very close plus you get a lot more effects to mess with.