Recommend me a book

What's Hot
I want to learn something different.  

I like rock, metal, funk, but my chord vocabulary is small. 

I've got Hot Country, and it's an excellent book - actually, I've let that lapse a bit, so I'll get it out again tomorrow after work and see how that goes.  

I've heard some Gypsy swing stuff recently and really wouldn't mind learning a bit about it. Also quite like the idea of learning more funk - but I've found that funk is more about rhythm than note choice, and a simple single note line (literally just funking on one note) can be very effective, so maybe not a funk book. 

Maybe even some blues.  Seriously. 

I have half decent technique and know where the notes are on the fretboard, sort of... 

Just something that will give me a broader palette of ideas to draw from. 

GO!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Guthrie's creative guitar volume 1 and 2 are really good for expanding your horizons. 

Not a book, but I recently bought this and it's really very good:
  • Guthrie's creative guitar volume 1 and 2 are really good for expanding your horizons. 

Not a book, but I recently bought this and it's really very good:
    I'll look into them. 

Is there any theory explanations in any of them? I could use a bit of theory. 
    tFB Trader
    Guthries book isn't too theory heavy it's more about breaking out of a rut and playing new things. 

Andy T's isn't theory heavy, but it has quite a bit about note choice in soloing and writing in terms of creating and releasing tension etc.
  • Guthries book isn't too theory heavy it's more about breaking out of a rut and playing new things. 

Andy T's isn't theory heavy, but it has quite a bit about note choice in soloing and writing in terms of creating and releasing tension etc.
    Andy T's is winning for me so far, then. 

Any other suggestions folks? 
    tFB Trader
    I am affiliated with the site (I write on there), but Easy Ear Training has loads of good free resources including some good theory stuff.

• monquixote said:

Guthrie's creative guitar volume 1 and 2 are really good for expanding your horizons. 

Are these just mainly for rock players are would they benefit other styles too?
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Interestingly my mate who's the head sound engineer at Guildhall and he heard an intern playing some of Guthrie's stuff on a desk and commented how it blended so many styles so effortlessly.

Some people say Guthrie can't do jazz... but having watched his Jazz Funk band every week from 2003 till around 2009 I kinda disagree.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus;404251" said:
    Interestingly my mate who's the head sound engineer at Guildhall and he heard an intern playing some of Guthrie's stuff on a desk and commented how it blended so many styles so effortlessly.

Some people say Guthrie can't do jazz... but having watched his Jazz Funk band every week from 2003 till around 2009 I kinda disagree.
    I always thought he was a jazzer more than anything else.

Excellent player, and sounds like a lovely bloke, someone I'd very much like to meet.

Actually, same for Joe B except there is something about him I'm not keen on... But it might just be mega stardom.

Ho hum. I've started reworking through hot country again, and I'm learning BSSM start to finish now, which has interesting chords and progressions - often based around melody and chromatics.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Goodrick's The Advancing Guitarist.

Not beginner level and not Tabs either. But it will last you a lifetime. Every page has enough material for a month's practice (or more).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    pickerg said:

monquixote said:

Are these just mainly for rock players are would they benefit other styles too?
    I think anyone could benefit. 
    Guthrie plays as much jazz as he does rock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Advancing Guitarist is a beautiful book.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus said:
    Advancing Guitarist is a beautiful book.

+1.  Yes, not a method book as such but as said above - a lifetime's worth of work if you are willing to put the time and effort in.

Cheers for the comments re the Guthrie books, I think I might check them out.

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Creative Chord Substitution for Jazz Guitar, by Eddie Arkin is a very good book, although you really need to be a music reader to get full value from it.
  • Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry book is one of the best chord books around and there is a section on substitutions too.  I'd recommend it, even if you're a rock or blues player only.

If you want jazz ideas then check out The Music of Kurt Rosenwinkel blog.  It has lots of exercises and transcriptions from Kurt's music.  There is also some nice transcriptions from his 2012 Gdansk clinic, which you can see on Youtube.  The 1+7 and 3+5 chord melody part is amazing.  
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited November 2014
    I'd heartily recommend the Dave Grissom book and CD...well I would if I could remember the title....anyway, it's a good book and great for breaking you out of a rut and approaching things differently, without being too technically daunting.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited November 2014
    cbilly22 said:
    I'd heartily recommend the Dave Grissom book and CD...well I would if I could remember the title....anyway, it's a good book and great for breaking you out of a rut and approaching things differently, without being to technically daunting.
    found it