What is this neck made of?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
Looks really interesting, what do you think it is made of? Graphite?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    edited October 2014
    I woudl guess so, although its a bit shiny so it may have been sprayed too or possibly polished
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    edited October 2014
    Sure it's not painted maple?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    nope, not without having it in hand
  • rprrpr Frets: 308
    Is that a Peavey perchance? There was one with a similar neck in local cash converters a while back- 80s made in USA strat -kinda lacquer type affair-felt a lot like maple.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    It's painted, not solid black material, because the fret tangs are not visible. So it could be anything under the paint.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• John Player Special fag packets?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It's painted, not solid black material, because the fret tangs are not visible. So it could be anything under the paint.
    Unless the frets are glued on like a Parker Fly? Or they could be in slots that don't run to the edges?

If it *is* painted it looks like it was fretted over the paint, there is no meniscus at the edges of the frets.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I think you can see a hint of a tang on a couple, so they don't look glued-on, it does look like paint over tangs. I agree they look like they were fitted over the paint though, at least on the fingerboard surface! So maybe fretted on a black-painted board and then the back finished?

Hard to say, really - at least without much better pics. But it does look like a painted neck to me, rather than solid graphite.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    So maybe fretted on a black-painted board and then the back finished?
    I think you are right with that assessment
  • I don't normally like maple fretboards (if that's what it is), but that looks OK - reminds me of the red Special.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I can't believe it's painted. Surely you could tell by how it looked around the markers? It all looks to smooth and perfect to me. Whatever is is, I love the look!
  • I saw a fender rosewood tele today that had a neck that looked like that.  It was a finished neck, clearly sprayed black then lacquered. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Moses graphite neck possibly ?  or a Fender HM neck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My musicman sub had a black neck, though the rosewood board was left to show.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2357
    I would guess either painted or else a resin/epoxy of some sort. Can't see a neck being made entirely out of solid graphite, too impractical, and it doesn't look like carbon fibre.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/us103.com/files/2011/05/52462992.jpg I think this is the right picture - Joe's solid rosewood neck Strat I thought was cool.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    The graphite neck I've got on one of mine has the shiny fretboard - but the rear and all the headstock are more matt and textured. My first thought was graphite, but I'm not so sure, now..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    So what's the guitar? It looks really well made?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Is it for sale, somewhere?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Looks like one from the shonky guitars website where he does talk about his 'Black neck ' Strats