Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Fretboard Kemper Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Thanks to @guitarfishbay for the heads up on a Kemper bag on eBay. I won it and it arrived today. £46 all in. Beats the £77 all in from Thomann!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    Beta 2.7.0 now available :)

-------------

This firmware introduces the following new features and fixes: 

User Interface

- fixed: memory garbage displayed, if current View contains only one single rig
    - fixed: stomp type information sent to and reflected by some adapted foot-controllers
    - added: key repeat for PAGE buttons and RIG Navigation Cross
    - added: unique default owner name "Me [some-id]" instead of the generic "Me"
    - changed: Effect Types "Noise Gate 2:1/4:1" instead of "Gate 2:1/4:1"

Audio

- added: new Output Source "Git / Master Left" added for S/PDIF OUTPUT
    - added: new parameter Panorama in Rig Menu
    - fixed: DIRECT OUT with source "Master Mono/Right" now correctly switching into SEND functionality and avoiding feedback, when any loop gets activated
    - fixed: avoiding noise in combination with a few clean sounds
    - fixed: avoiding crackling within first three seconds after rig load
    - changed: slightly adjusted bass response during profiling increasing authenticity
    - changed: reduced latency of effect Micro Pitch
    - changed: reduced time to bypass Wah, if Pedal Mode set to "Bypass @ Stop/Heel/Toe" 

-----------
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I like the idea of a Kemper and have read good things about the amp factory. I like the idea of purchasing a profile for £10 rather than a new amp. what outlay are you looking at for a home studio rig with speakers etc and what would you recommend as a quality home set up?
    I know what I'm doing tonight then! New firmware yays.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    capo4th said:
    I like the idea of a Kemper and have read good things about the amp factory. I like the idea of purchasing a profile for £10 rather than a new amp. what outlay are you looking at for a home studio rig with speakers etc and what would you recommend as a quality home set up?
    Some fairly flat response monitors / headphones, I'd recommend a sound card / interface capable of S/PDIF too.

I use KRK RP5's with mine for home and a FRFR (Yamaha DXR10) for band activities, best 'amp' I've had! It'll be even better when they finally launch the floor board, the FCB1010 is OK, but does feel a bit on the cheap side!

Rumours are now rife that the floor board is near ready, according to a recent post on the Kemper forums (talked about during one of the road shows).
    edited October 2014
    I'm working on a cover of Tool's The Patient, so I can practice vocal parts. Used the Kemper for guitar and bass, thought it might pose some interest; https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcysjs47nzrrkdk/Kemper_ThePatient.mp3?dl=0

Profile was a custom rolled one of my VHT Sig X; uses the rhythm channel without a boost first, then the lead channel with the boost when it gets heavy.

Uses the latest 2.7 firmware too.
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    Kemper arrived a bit earlier, still at work so haven't had a chance to play yet. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about!
  • Drew_fx said:
    I'm working on a cover of Tool's The Patient, so I can practice vocal parts. Used the Kemper for guitar and bass, thought it might pose some interest; https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcysjs47nzrrkdk/Kemper_ThePatient.mp3?dl=0

Profile was a custom rolled one of my VHT Sig X; uses the rhythm channel without a boost first, then the lead channel with the boost when it gets heavy.

Sweet that's my favourite song..I'm totally checking out this when I get home.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Drew_fx said:

I liked the guitar tones but i was less convinced by the bass, it sounded a bit synthy.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Yeah I could do better with the bass tone. But I don't have a rig to profile myself, and haven't found the best bass profiles out there on internet land yet.
    They're coming up with some good stuff:

We are currently preparing major innovations of the Profile format, which we are planning to release with firmware 3.0 officially. However these new features are already included – but hidden – in firmware 2.8.0. Technically Interested users are invited to check out these innovations and provide feedback before official release.
    The main benefits of this new format are perfect separation between Amplifier and Cabinet Profiles, the ability to handle so-called "Direct Amp Profiles" (those created without a cabinet) in an accurate fashion, and the opportunity to merge such Direct Amp Profiles with cabinets either copied from any usual Studio Profile or with Cabinet Presets generated from impulse responses via CabMaker (v. 2.0). 
    Resulting so-called "Merged Profiles" behave authentically, regardless whether the cabinet simulation is switched on or off. Practically you could simultaneously use the Studio Profile for FOH and the Direct Amp Profile for your guitar speaker cabinet on stage.
    Please find detailed information related to these new profiling features and links to experimantal firmware in the attached document:
    dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55…s and Merged Profiles.pdf
    Caution: Profiles created leveraging this new Profiling format are not downward compatible and may not be shared with un-informed users. Don’t offer these commercially before official release. The new Profiles could generate noise or other trouble if used with elder firmware revisions. Consequently Rig Exchange doesn’t accept their upload for the time being.

• Sounds like some cool stuff indeed!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    edited November 2014
    Nice to see a Kemper thread

I have been tempted by the idea of one of these since they were first launched but have erred time and time again.

Mainly as many of the people who have jumped on to these are at the full metal end of the guitar world. (I presume this is historically because this type of overdrive sound has been very hard to model accurately) Most of the modelling stuff I have that has a tread plate setting tends to sound like a box of spanners. 

As an old blues rock guy will I find classic twins, Marshalls, Boogies and perhaps more esoteric stuff.

Almost all my playing is at home these days using Logic and various plugins, so on paper a Kemper sounds like an ideal addition but will I find it better than top end plugins.

Any feedback from current users on the advantage over software plugins in terms of tone and playing feel would be helpfull in convincing me to join the Kemper Club.

Nice to see a Kemper thread

I have been tempted by the idea of one of these since they were first launched but have erred time and time again.

Mainly as many of the people who have jumped on to these are at the full metal end of the guitar world. (I presume this is historically because this type of overdrive sound has been very hard to model accurately) Most of the modelling stuff I have that has a tread plate setting tends to sound like a box of spanners. 

As an old blues rock guy will I find classic twins, Marshalls, Boogies and perhaps more esoteric stuff.

Almost all my playing is at home these days using Logic and various plugins, so on paper a Kemper sounds like an ideal addition but will I find it better than top end plugins.

Any feedback from current users on the advantage over software plugins in terms of tone and playing feel would be helpfull in convincing me to join the Kemper Club.

Go have a sniff around the gear page guv. their genre tastes are probably slightly more in line with yours than mine - they're all about the blusey and the classic rock stuff - and there are plenty of demo clips out there.

I had the Axe FX. I then got the Kemper. I sold the Axe FX. I was happier with the tones from the Kemper and more importantly I was happier with how quick it took me to get to where I wanted to be.

Both units utterly wipe the floor with every single VST amp effect out there - and I've got them *all* and the only plugin I use these days is a freebie Sansamp Bass Driver plugin. The rest of them... I don't use them anymore.
  • I saw that post, very cool indeed. Just hoping they will have a way to implement this for existing profiles once 3.0 comes out. Very cool for those of us still using a guitar cab though!
  • Well if they are better than every VST plugin then its time to go have a play. 

Think one of these will be on my present to me list. 

cheers
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    edited November 2014
    This is an interesting development. I've had a KPA for a while and for home use / recording, it's great but through a power amp and cabs at gig volumes, I've always felt it sounded 'off'. I've put this down to the difficulty in separating the cab from the rest of the profile (even when using the monitor out with cab off).

If this means that the cab part of a profile can be removed then I'm looking forward to trying this out. Anyone know if this is backwards compatible with existing profiles? If not, then all the TAF profiles I have won't be much use :-(
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Just ordered mine - Thomann had a B stock one.  It finally paid off checking all the dealers 3 times a day for a B stock one.

All excited.
    drwiddly said:
     Anyone know if this is backwards compatible with existing profiles? 
    It is not.