EZDrummer track meters?

What's Hot
Why are the track meters in my EZD track (Reaper) more often than not clipping/red? Is there an input/output? Especially bad on the input meters, I can bring down the output ones.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2014
    I'm not familiar with Reaper or EZ drummer.  I have Superior 2.0 but I'm not sure what you mean by 'especially bad on the input meters', do you mean within the EZ drummer plugin mixer window, or is this a Reaper thing?

If you can't find a volume setting on EZ drummer can you insert a gain plugin, or perhaps an EQ plugin which has a gain handle, after EZ Drummer to pull down the volume as necessary?

Also - you could try toontrack support, they're pretty decent IIRC.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    On Reaper when you open EZD on a track (in FX) it changes the level meter to what seems to be 8 output levels and another 8 at the bottom that just seem to stay red when playing (midi in?) Doesn't look right.
    Brain is in slowmo today I'll have another go, can't see anything in the manuals. Maybe the just got red when there is an armed input...?

Thanks BTW
    :)
    I can level the output, with the EZD mixer, seems to be something to do with midi in.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    On Reaper when you open EZD on a track (in FX) it changes the level meter to what seems to be 8 output levels and another 8 at the bottom that just seem to stay red when playing (midi in?) Doesn't look right.
    Brain is in slowmo today I'll have another go, can't see anything in the manuals. Maybe the just got red when there is an armed input...?

Thanks BTW
      I use addictive drums so im sorry i cant really help, but i would recommend the Reaper forum if your just getting started its got tons of info there. Good luck mate.
  • axemanrioaxemanrio Frets: 16
    edited October 2014

Thanks BTW
    Can you post a screenshot of what you're describing?  I never had a problem with EZD and Reaper when I used them together in the past. Assuming you're routing EZD to multiple tracks there should not be any clipping on all tracks (maybe 1 or 2 tracks could clip if the level is set high in EZD mixer or if MIDI velocity is 127 across the board).  
    Thanks chaps. Can't hear any actual clipping, i think it is just showing you which midi channels are being used. Will look into it. :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Either the samples are recorded extremely hot, or EZD's output is just too loud. You wont hear clipping, because your DAW is 64bit and has a shit ton of headroom. But if you do a bounce, you'll hear clipping then. You should turn down each drum until they're peaking around -12dB on your DAW's meters.

Bear in mind it's good mixing practice to ensure that none of your faders peak above -12dB in the first instance, and that the master fader never goes above -6dB. This helps the mastering process too.
    Chears Drew but as I say I can lower the out put so there is no clipping on the 8 output levels. It's the other ones (below) that I don't understand.

I'll try and get a pic or something.
  • Drew_fx said:

Bear in mind it's good mixing practice to ensure that none of your faders peak above -12dB in the first instance, and that the master fader never goes above -6dB. This helps the mastering process too.

But also remember that you'll probably have turned your speakers up to hear better.  Don't forget this when you decide to take a 5 minute break on YOUTUBE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    About 5.30 and throughout. Too much juice?

Thanks Broz.

if I turn everything down on the EZD mixer/output it still does it. Or turn the sample volume down.
  • axemanrioaxemanrio Frets: 16
    edited October 2014
    It's weird that peak levels are missing in the video above which tells me this probably has something to do with your Reaper Theme.  Try switching to the Default 3.0 theme and check if the red level indicators disappear - I guess the peak output level values should also be back with that change.
    If you look closely there are tiny peak levels going horizontally. There are 8 basic output tracks from EZ which are the top of 16...which I can handle by varying the midi/pre volume. bottom 8 I don't know? 

• I think those may be related to MIDI velocities, which is why I suggested you check the peak levels for the individual EZD tracks in Reaper.  Are you able to see that for each track like in this screenshot?

Also try changing the theme to default 3.0 if the theme you're using is not showing the peak levels for individual tracks.
    edited October 2014
    If you look closely at track "1" (the one with EZD on it) it's different. The peak levels for individual tracks seem fine.

• Audio is definitely not clipping as none of the individual drum tracks are in the red and neither is the master bus.  That first track is the virtual MIDI track so I'm guessing the horizontal levels are individual MIDI channel levels and the vertical level is the sum of all MIDI channels (showing MIDI velocities).

Nothing alarming there if you want velocities at 127 or close to it.  There are a number of guides out there that tackle the subject of humanizing MIDI to make the drums sound more realistic.
    Thanks very much for your help buddy.  :)