NGD Orville by Gibson Les Paul Junior

What's Hot
bignormbignorm Frets: 191
edited October 2014 in Guitar
I love juniors and have owned a few over the years. This 1988 junior has an American p90 and hardware. The neck has a comfy old shoes feel and the guitar is a joy to play I can't wait to gig it tomorrow http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/goliathrox/imagejpg2_zpsa1570f1b.jpg http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/goliathrox/imagejpg1_zps3c5854fd.jpg
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    Great score that :)

Watching Jamie T twat his junior style guitar and this makes me want bad style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Love that! What's the going rate for an Orville Jr these days?
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Good man. Proper guitar right there.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    Nice one! What's the neck profile like?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    That's cool as...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    The neck feels like a comfortable 60's profile and felt right at home as soon as I played it. Quite close to my 86 prs standard which is probably why I instantly bonded with it.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    Sounds good. :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Very nice. That description of the neck sounds similar to my 57 Goldtop ObG. I was expecting a bit more girth...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Didn't that weird catalogue shop in the UK Argos (I think) sell an Orville model only a few years ago? It was only in probably the last 5-7 years...? 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Octahedron;377456" said:
    Didn't that weird catalogue shop in the UK Argos (I think) sell an Orville model only a few years ago? It was only in probably the last 5-7 years...? 
    Nope. Are you confusing Orville with the Gibson Baldwin budget/educational range? They were sold in Argos.

• Iamnobody said:
    Octahedron;377456" said:
    Didn't that weird catalogue shop in the UK Argos (I think) sell an Orville model only a few years ago? It was only in probably the last 5-7 years...? 
    Nope. Are you confusing Orville with the Gibson Baldwin budget/educational range? They were sold in Argos.

Maybe. Haha. It's just one of those curious shops you have to look in when you visit. They sell everything on earth but they hide it all away and put it in a big book. Look but don't touch! :P 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Argos ... A bit like buying from the Internet before it existed, browse the images and buy it unseen
  • Lovely guitar!
    Never heard of Orville before - whats the story behind them?
    Looking on fleabay theyre quite expensive.
    edited October 2014
    Google Orville By Gibson and you'll get the full story...
    In a nutshell OBG's were Gibsons response to stem the tide of Tokias and Burnys taking away their sales back in the 80's..
    OBG's were Japanese made guitars under licence, some of the better ones had American pick ups and hardware, but others had jap hardware. It's a bit of a mine field though, as with most of the guitars from this era, some were dogs and some were brilliant. I definitely wouldn't buy one unseen but there are some real gems out there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool!
    Have a wisdom!
    Never heard of them until tday .
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Cool gas ... I like that ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280

Never heard of Orville before - whats the story behind them?

Orville got fed up with Keith Harris's hand up his arse, so he fled the nest, hatched a plan and started making guitars. Some say they are not all they are quacked up to be, but I think that's just sour grapes from those that can't afford the bill. TBH they are just green with envy.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    I've gigged the ObG a couple of times now and found the P90 to be a tad squealy. The pole screws are quite loose which probably doesn't help, so I'm going to drop a bit of nail varnish on them to see if that helps once I've dialed in the optimum height.
    I've owned a few P90's before and know how to ride the volume to avoid most of it but this one is a bit lively with my amp set up, I'm wondering if I should slap a replacement in there
    If I can't fix it any ideas who's pick ups I should look at? I want to keep the raw P90 tone but without so much microphonic squeal.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    Our very own Guitar Weasel's Oil City Pickups P90 are great in my experience. Just a thought though, have you considered getting it potted?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @TheGuitarWeasel should be able to sort you out with a set. I wish I could speak from experience but my set of FireWatch P 90's haven't been installed yet.

http://oilcitypickups.co.uk/classicp90.html