SCRATCH-IT! Original Custom Scratchplates & Pickguards to YOUR Design . . .

What's Hot
Hello there all,

Just wanted to introduce you to my new site where you can create your own custom scratchplates online.

www.originalscratchplates.com

Tis very simple - visit the SCRATCH-IT! NOW page, select your guitar or bass & then either upload your own image, choose one from our library of innovative designs or I can design a plate for you.

You’ll find plenty of ideas in the INSPIRATION section - plus if you click on the spinning magnifying glass icon you’ll find many more designs to inspire & amuse you when you hover over the main section images . . .

imageimage
imageimageimage

They’re only £29.99 including UK delivery, with payment either by Credit Card or Paypal.

Obviously it’s early days for me, so there’s currently only a selection of the most popular guitars & basses available - HOWEVER I am offering to make a plate to fit your exact instrument for FREE so I can build up the range - all you’d need to do is either trace your scratchplate outline on a piece of paper & post it to me so I can digitally create an outline of it, or, if you prefer, post me the actual scratchplate - full details are on the site itself.

Again, the site's pretty comprehensive about how to get the best from your own files, but much like when creating a photo book or a canvas print, it makes sense to use a laptop or desktop PC or Mac as the screen’s far bigger than an ickle smartphone.

We're currently not offering your 'standard' 1- & 3-ply plates, as they're available from many places already, but in addition to our printed plates we can also offer clear acrylic plates for £20.00 including UK delivery.

I'm sure this isn't for everyone - but it offers a simple, no-nonsense way to personalise your guitar or bass for a reasonable price. All comments - positive AND negative - are hugely valued.

Happy Monday(s)
Tim

THE ORIGINAL SCRATCHPLATE COMPANY
www.originalscratchplates.com

FACEBOOK

SCRATCH-IT!
Custom scratchplates - easily create your own online in seconds
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    Nice idea!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Love it!
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited October 2014
    very good idea!

It so happens I just started a makeover of my Strat. Unless I want to put the old pickguard back on despite the many ungainly holes left by various experimental pickup configurations, I'd need a new one - lefty Strat guard in either black or tortoise, with a route and hole for a Tele pickup in the bridge. Would that be possible, and not prohibitively expensive? 

scratch that, I didn't read your text properly, you are more into graphics rather than the standard materials - fair enough, and good luck!

• WezVWezV Frets: 16630
    edited October 2014
    I really like the idea and it is something I would use, although if I can give a bit of feedback I would add countersinking the screw holes as a standard option, with the ability to go non-countersunk for those that need it, or the ability to chose a different option for the main mounting holes and the pickup ones

drilling or countersinking holes in a perspex guard could be a very frustrating experience for your customers.

another question, could you print a design that left a clear section?   I have done perspex guards painted on the back before and on one guitar i put a vinyl decal on first, then peeled it off to leave a clear logo.   Could be really fun with some LED's behind  if it went over the cavity;)

here is the one i did, would love to be able to do a larger & more intricate design like that
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimAlTimAl Frets: 25
    Thanks very much fellas - very kind.

NPP said:
    scratch that, I didn't read your text properly, you are more into graphics rather than the standard materials - fair enough, and good luck!
    Indeed - the 'standard' 1- or 3-ply materials involve a difference process & different materials, however I could certainly generate a plate to fit your unique Strat, but it would not be bevelled. Please don't think that it is absolutely necessary to make a monster in-her-face plate with my process, as subtlety works wonderfully with this process too - for example I've just produced a leather-effect one which is a corker:

Cheers,
    Tim

SCRATCH-IT!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    I really like the idea and it is something I would use, although if I can give a bit of feedback I would add countersinking the screw holes as a standard option, with the ability to go non-countersunk for those that need it, or the ability to chose a different option for the main mounting holes and the pickup ones

drilling or countersinking holes in a perspex guard could be a very frustrating experience for your customers.

another question, could you print a design that left a clear section?   I have done perspex guards painted on the back before and on one guitar i put a vinyl decal on first, then peeled it off to leave a clear logo.   Could be really fun with some LED's behind  if it went over the cavity;)

here is the one i did, would love to be able to do a larger & more intricate design like that

Thanks WezV - all good points - but please be assured that all my plates DO come with mounting holes as standard. Currently they are not countersunk - as I've found it significantly adds to the cost to produce them plus tiny amount the screw head sticks out does not affect looks or playability.

I'm also more than happy to generate the cutter guide (shape - including pick-up AND screw holes) to suit anyone's particular guitar FOR FREE if they cannot find a matching template already on the site - this not only ensures that the plate will fit but also increases my library for potential purchasers in the future - win-win!

I'm very happy to explore all options regarding clear sections - obviously that's not part of the SCRATCH-IT! online designer so I'd need to discuss on an individual project basis, & I totally agree about LEDs - that could be a stunner indeed.

My initial workaround to generating a plate to match your example plate would be to print the cut-out area in the same colour as your guitar body - giving the effect of being clear but without having the thin edge of the cut vinyl showing. Not identical, but similar in vein to this Batman plate - it's a completely 'solid' printed plate giving a visual impression of being translucent blue with a clear Batman logo 'hole':

Cheers all,
    Tim

SCRATCH-IT!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Those look excellent! great idea.
  • Yeah, you should get loads of orders for these! Great idea.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16630
    TimAl said:

My initial workaround to generating a plate to match your example plate would be to print the cut-out area in the same colour as your guitar body - giving the effect of being clear but without having the thin edge of the cut vinyl showing. Not identical, but similar in vein to this Batman plate - it's a completely 'solid' printed plate giving a visual impression of being translucent blue with a clear Batman logo 'hole':

Cheers all,
    Tim
    That works!  
  • TimAl;379167" said:
    WezV said:

Thanks WezV - all good points - but please be assured that all my plates DO come with mounting holes as standard. Currently they are not countersunk - as I've found it significantly adds to the cost to produce them plus tiny amount the screw head sticks out does not affect looks or playability.

I'm also more than happy to generate the cutter guide (shape - including pick-up AND screw holes) to suit anyone's particular guitar FOR FREE if they cannot find a matching template already on the site - this not only ensures that the plate will fit but also increases my library for potential purchasers in the future - win-win!

I'm very happy to explore all options regarding clear sections - obviously that's not part of the SCRATCH-IT! online designer so I'd need to discuss on an individual project basis, & I totally agree about LEDs - that could be a stunner indeed.

Cheers all,Tim
    My god, that looks amazing!
    My god, that looks amazing!
    Thanks ThePrettyDamned, v kind.

SCRATCH-IT!
    An extra hour in bed tomorrow - one of my favourite days of the year . . .

SCRATCH-IT!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What's that you say?
    Completely change your guitar or bass for £30?
    Surely not?

Hell yeah . . .

SCRATCH-IT!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Well I definitely need a scratchplate made up so will be sending you a template outline for a Gibson Melody Maker this week, look forward to hearing from you.
    Cheers
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's great news cbilly22 - I've just Emailed you.

Happy Monday(s)
    Tim

SCRATCH-IT!
    TimAl said:
    That's great news cbilly22 - I've just Emailed you.

Happy Monday(s)
    Tim
    Cheers Tim, will finalise my template tonight and get it in the post.
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    edited February 2015
    that watch and clock plate is truly awesome. well done! and have a wow...
    Thanks cacophony - that's very kind.

A bit of imagination's key, obviously - but such an 'easy' way to completely change the look if your guitar if you wish.

SCRATCH-IT!

Finally had a chance to have a proper look at my new melody Maker plate and it looks pretty much perfect. All the holes line up exactly and it's a really nicely cut scratchplate. As soon as my new pickup lands from Oil City I'll put the whole thing together and get some pics up.

Cheers mate, lovely job.

Thanks very much chilly22 - that's great news & thanks for the kind words, they're much appreciated.

Cheers
    Tim

SCRATCH-IT!