Flatwounds on a 335

What's Hot
Tried out a couple of jazz boxes last week and one of them was loaded with flatwounds. That was the first time I've ever played a geetar with flatwounds and I think I liked it. So I've ordered a set for my 335. They feel niiiiiice! http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/bandmaster188/imagejpg1_zps3c5f6e2f.jpg
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Which? I generally think they sound like garbage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Loobs said:
    Which? I generally think they sound like garbage.

You need to get down with the jazz thing dude! http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/bandmaster188/imagejpg1_zps8c93a51e.jpg
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    It's all about D'Addario Chromes, where flats are concerned.. Lovely strings!
  • bob21;379463" said:
    It's all about D'Addario Chromes, where flats are concerned.. Lovely strings!
    That's what I've ordered

;)
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Chromes work a treat, particularly with a plywood top, retain a good brightness balance.  Frequently have them on my old 330.  Great thing is the wounds last for ever, like bass strings.  You can take 'em on and off as you please, just replace the plain strings.

I found Thomastics a bit dark, but they do work really well with a pine top.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

Pyramid flats work too, I've used these a lot with both semis and jazzmasters.

Chromes are about the worst strings I've ever heard. Seriously.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i dont know about these...i had them on my SG and they sounded really dull...maybe it was the set up...
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Loobs said:

Compared to what ... ?  perhaps you can give an alternate recommendation for flatwounds?  They'll never sound like roundwounds .. however, that's kind of the point  ;)

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Thomastik Swing 12s flatwounds here - change them every year or so whether they need it or not ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I neeed another 335 so I can put flatwounds on it to compare them ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I use them on my jazxbox. Sounds like a jazz guitar...
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited October 2014
    I'm not sure, but I don't think modern Jazz players use flatwound.

I think it's just the old Swingers who use flatwound.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    ESchap;379854" said:
    Loobs said:

Compared to what ... ?  perhaps you can give an alternate recommendation for flatwounds?  They'll never sound like roundwounds .. however, that's kind of the point  ;)
    Thomastik
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    GuyBoden;380000" said:
    I'm not sure, but I don't think modern Jazz players use flatwound.
    u

I think it's just the old Swingers who use flatwound.
    Fusion players don't, but people like George Benson do. As did Joe Pass. Watch Benson play solos, then try doing that on a set of 14s...
    Plenty of modern players, in fact more, use roundwounds. I don't know a single player personally, and I play jazz, who uses them.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I went through loads of flats. I used flats or nylon tapewound for electric jazz for ages. La Bella tapes 14 - 67 were my favourite, but they got a bit cramped on the fretboard for lots of chording. I really liked Pyramid Flats 13's, but they didn't seem to last very long, so I used La Bella Flats 13's instead. Thomastik's were ok, but I didn't like the "burnished brass" or whatever they changed the E and B strings to - I know you can pick whether you want steel or brass unwound strings, but I never had the option where I bought them from. I also seemed to break them quite a lot. I hated Chromes - I thought they sounded dead and didn't feel spectacularly nice.

I don't play electric jazz at all anymore, hence no more flats/tape, but there are some great strings out there  - I really can't recommend La Bella's highly enough for jazz playing.
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited October 2014
    So what is it you don't like about them @loobs. This is a bit of an experiment for me as I've never used them before. What's the worst that could happen? Apart from wasting a tenner
    The Swamp City Shakers
    They sound utterly dead usually.
  • I can't say I noticed this myself. I tried out an epi 175 which had rounds on and an ibanez 175 alike with flats. The ibanez definitely had a softer, mellower attack, but I wouldn't say it sounded dead. But as this is my first foray into the world of flat wounds, i don 't think I can cast proper judgement just yet.
    The Swamp City Shakers